Check your account email address ×

I have heard it all.

Just now, Highmark said:

I know lots of people who don't want to exclusively work from home.   All three of our employee's feedback is that its great but want more time in the office once the time is right.   Office interaction is a big part of people's lives.   

Absolutely. I'm hoping to do 2 days per week in the office. One of which is traveling up to one of the other locations to work with the team there. 

54 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I was very surprised when talking with the nurse when I went to get my covid antibodies test when she said they weren't that busy from covid testing but EXTREMELY busy doing drug testing for new hiring.   Probably just replacements for people that won't come back into work soaking up the ridiculous unemployment pay. 

Good thing about Illinois is Marijuana is off of the banned substance list so that frees up alot of workers. :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Anler said:

Good thing about Illinois is Marijuana is off of the banned substance list so that frees up alot of workers. :lol: 

Employer's can still not hire or fire someone for a positive marijuana test.   

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Employer's can still not hire or fire someone for a positive marijuana test.   

Its my understanding that they cannot. 

2 hours ago, Woodtick said:

And all of the restaurants,bars,and stores around these office complexes will also close. People are fucking blind on what road we are headed down.

I don’t know many people who aren’t very concerned with the next six months economy wise.  I agree though, commercial real estate is going to get clobbered. And we are going to see major restructuring’s and downsizing’s, once companies figure out they can do business without all the overhead.

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Its my understanding that they cannot. 

:news:   

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2019/10/24/772731316/can-i-get-fired-for-using-marijuana-once-it-s-legal-in-illinois

The short answer: Yes

Illinois' new law was written to give employers the right to fire employees for using marijuana. Lawmakers wanted employers to know: we're protecting your right to run your business the way you need to, according to State Rep. Bob Morgan, D-Deerfield, who helped draft the legislation.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-marijuana-pot-legal-use-workplace-20200110-ynrgpragtfenhilfeg3if2bdta-story.html

10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I don’t know many people who aren’t very concerned with the next six months economy wise.  I agree though, commercial real estate is going to get clobbered. And we are going to see major restructuring’s and downsizing’s, once companies figure out they can do business without all the overhead.

I’m sure the people that are kept will also get some nice raises/profit sharing..... not!!
Extra profits will go to the top and everyone else should just be happy to have a job. 

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

yes,   we are looking at it.  Most efficient month ever in April with next to no one in their offices.  So we will give the option more and more for employees to choose to work from home. I would expect we will shed at least 1 building in our corporate campus plus put on hold a couple expansions we had looked at.   Unfortunately with the way licensing works it's hard for us to cut a deal with a wework or regus to meet our needs for transient sales people so the sales offices will stay.   

Should really be able to change the look of DC.  Politicians should all be able to work from their respective states.

24 minutes ago, CheezusXR8 said:

I’m sure the people that are kept will also get some nice raises/profit sharing..... not!!
Extra profits will go to the top and everyone else should just be happy to have a job. 

Yeah unfortunately you are probably correct 

41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:news:   

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2019/10/24/772731316/can-i-get-fired-for-using-marijuana-once-it-s-legal-in-illinois

The short answer: Yes

Illinois' new law was written to give employers the right to fire employees for using marijuana. Lawmakers wanted employers to know: we're protecting your right to run your business the way you need to, according to State Rep. Bob Morgan, D-Deerfield, who helped draft the legislation.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-marijuana-pot-legal-use-workplace-20200110-ynrgpragtfenhilfeg3if2bdta-story.html

I guess I misunderstood. Here is a correspondence from our attorney regarding the marijuana law when it was adopted. Personally I dont give a shit, probabaly more than half of the laborers in our business use so if it was mandatory testing we wouldnt have anybody to do the work! :lol: 

In connection with the legalization of recreational use of cannabis (marijuana), new Illinois laws that became effective on January 1 prohibit employers from taking disciplinary action against employees who use lawful products outside of work (such as alcohol), and now including marijuana. However, those laws give protection to employers who wish to maintain and enforce employment policies concerning the use of cannabis (and other substances of concern)

You cannot refuse to hire or fire someone solely because they have a medical marijuana card or use marijuana recreationally.

If you discipline or terminate an employee on the grounds that you have determined they are under the influence of or impaired by cannabis, you are required to have an internal procedure whereby the employee may contest your determination.

But,

You may have and enforce zero-tolerance drug policies that include both medical and recreational marijuana, provided that they are administered reasonably and in a non-discriminatory manner. (What is considered “reasonable” and “non-discriminatory” will likely be a highly fact-specific determination and will probably evolve in court cases down the road.)

4 hours ago, Woodtick said:

There was another email floating around here about eating and drinking. They can’t safely eat or drink because it’s unsafe to remove their mask. The email got deleted,so I didn’t get to read it.

Tell the mooks that the doctors and nurses at hope hospital /covid central in Boston ALL take off there masks to eat.. in the hospital!   

people are the stupidest creatures on the planet.   No question. 😂😂

6 hours ago, Anler said:

Some people are milking this shit for all its worth. 

this, My sister in law's employees don't want to come back because with the 6 bills extra they are making more sitting at home. Well fishing and drinking and golfing. They are not actually sitting at home.

6 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Your gonna see many work at home employees staying at home permanently. The one thing Corporate America has learned by this pandemic is they can save millions of dollars on office space. 

One other thing watch for many moving away from highly populated areas.

Yep, my cousins husband was already saying they are not going back. Working from home permanently. Between that and small buss that run out of strip malls, I see the commercial real estate market dipping.

Who is holding REITS?

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

this, My sister in law's employees don't want to come back because with the 6 bills extra they are making more sitting at home. Well fishing and drinking and golfing. They are not actually sitting at home.

A good portion of these people will be fucked if they keep this up. No benefits,no job to go back to. That extra 600 isn’t going to last for ever.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Yep, my cousins husband was already saying they are not going back. Working from home permanently. Between that and small buss that run out of strip malls, I see the commercial real estate market dipping.

Who is holding REITS?

We have a customer that bought a office building in Dec for 300mil. They could be fucked. 

Just now, Woodtick said:

We have a customer that bought a office building in Dec for 300mil. They could be fucked. 

I remember during the recession of the late 80/s their was a high rise in Lowell Mass. Built for $60 million. SOld at acuction for $580 k plus 1.5 mill in back taxes . Dude that bought it sold it 2 yurs later for 40 mil

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I remember during the recession of the late 80/s their was a high rise in Lowell Mass. Built for $60 million. SOld at acuction for $580 k plus 1.5 mill in back taxes . Dude that bought it sold it 2 yurs later for 40 mil

timing is everything

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I guess I misunderstood. Here is a correspondence from our attorney regarding the marijuana law when it was adopted. Personally I dont give a shit, probabaly more than half of the laborers in our business use so if it was mandatory testing we wouldnt have anybody to do the work! :lol: 

We currently don't do any drug testing.   They simply know there is a zero tolerance if they are caught and we leave the option open to randomly test.  

Come to work impaired and you are gone.   No second chances.   I'm sure its happened but it hasn't caused any issues. 

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I don’t think it’s going to last to long with so many states open. The ones that keep kicking the rona can down the road are going to see their big business tax base move to a friendlier state. Illinois is opening up some. The south Chicago Ford plant opened back up. 2000 UAW are now off the tit. I heard if they refused,they would get replaced. This is what needs to happen. If you have a serious medical condition should be the only exception.

Just now, Woodtick said:

I don’t think it’s going to last to long with so many states open. The ones that keep kicking the rona can down the road are going to see their big business tax base move to a friendlier state. Illinois is opening up some. The south Chicago Ford plant opened back up. 2000 UAW are now off the tit. I heard if they refused,they would get replaced. This is what needs to happen. If you have a serious medical condition should be the only exception.

This. 

Just now, Highmark said:

This. 

Indiana,Iowa, and Wisconsin being open is going to see some fib $$$ in the next few weeks. Naperville,one a the largest cities in IL,just filed against the governor. This is a very wealthy upper class city.  You are going to see our governor start backing down. 

Just now, Anler said:

I only have one and they aren't requiring drug tests. 

The maryjane topic on drug testing will end up in court.   Reality is if you are suspicious of someone being impaired at work you don't need a drug test to fire them or not hire them in the first place.  

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

I only have one and they aren't requiring drug tests. 

We take care of a few. I still have to stick to barely pops. 597 is still testing because of pipe line and Nuke jobs.