Check your account email address ×

Trump to invoke Defense Production Act to keep meat-processing plants open amid fears of supply shortage

• Platinum Contributing Member

:news:   Need to limit or stop some beef, pork and poultry exports. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-to-invoke-defense-production-act-to-keep-meat-processing-plants-open-amid-fears-of-supply-shortage

President Trump plans to sign an executive order to ensure meat processing plants stay open during the coronavirus pandemic.

The order will invoke the Defense Production Act and will deem the facilities a part of the country’s critical infrastructure as concerns mount that the U.S. food supply chain will be disrupted because of the contagion. The federal government will also supply additional personal protective gear to plant employees.

Despite Trump’s reassurances that the food supply chain is not being affected by the outbreak, the announcement of the executive order follows numerous reports that meat processing plants around the country are struggling to stay open without the workers who have become infected by the novel coronavirus.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS 

The plants employ thousands of people who often work side by side carving meat, so it is difficult to apply social distancing rules. Such environments, according to medical professionals, keep high the risk of catching the virus even as companies take steps to increase worker protections.

The list of companies dealing with infected workers has been growing every day at plants across the country.

Industry leaders acknowledge that the U.S. food chain has rarely been so stressed and that no one is sure about the future, even as they try to dispel concerns about shortages.

On Sunday, Tyson Foods ran a full-page advertisement in the New York Times and other newspapers outlining the difficulty of producing meat while keeping more than 100,000 workers safe and shutting some plants.

“This means one thing — the food supply chain is vulnerable,” the statement said. “As pork, beef and chicken plants are being forced to close, even for short periods of time, millions of pounds of meat will disappear from the supply chain.”

COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, has infected hundreds of workers at meat-processing plants and forced some of the largest manufacturers to close and others to slow production. While the output at beef and poultry plants has diminished, pork plants in the Midwest have been hit especially hard. The viral outbreaks have persisted despite efforts by the meat companies to keep workers at home with pay if they become sick.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The 15 largest pork-packing plants account for 60 percent of all pork processed, so when even one of those plants closes for days or weeks, the consequences ripple across the industry. That has become abundantly clear with two of the nation's biggest plants now closed: Tyson suspended operations at its plant in Waterloo, Iowa, and Smithfield Foods halted production at its plant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Each plant can butcher nearly 20,000 hogs a day. Some plants have reopened days after cleaning.

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Without making changes to protect workers Trump is sending American workers into a burning building to die.

November can’t come fast enough.

If Team Biden has the cure then they should just reveal it now.....cause Biden probably won't remember what it is next week.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Without making changes to protect workers Trump is sending American workers into a burning building to die.

November can’t come fast enough.

At a .005% rate.   That many die from other causes.   Seek help dude.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Avionics tech at a helicopter factory. 

Cool job and it looks like precautions are being taken to keep all of you healthy. :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Cool job and it looks like precautions are being taken to keep all of you healthy. :thumbsup:

Doogie houser approved. What would we ever do without your approval on all things covid....

1 hour ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Start of every day at work for me. 

930F93E6-95D7-4720-BE81-81035FE9DC82.jpeg

Damn....how do you guys works sideways like that.  :lol:  

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Doogie houser approved. What would we ever do without your approval on all things covid....

You would do the same thing you always do...sit in your empty house all alone.

BTW I wasn't even talking to you so go stare at the walls some more. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Jesus christ that's funny, you're the king of swooping in other members discussions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Seriously.  It’s hilarious.

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

It’s called the CDC you idiot.

OMG.  There’s no way you have a head.

11 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Jesus christ that's funny, you're the king of swooping in other members discussions.

Amazing, really.  He jumps from back to back here on anybody that is opposing somebody that slaps him around.  :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mikeadoo said:

If Team Biden has the cure then they should just reveal it now.....cause Biden probably won't remember what it is next week.

If I'm Biden, I just watch and observe while Trump creates commercials on an almost daily basis for the democrats.

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

At a .005% rate.   That many die from other causes.   Seek help dude.

We know the rate of infection at the Smithfield SD was over 10%, what happens when the workers are to sick or scared to show up, who is going to replace the mainly immigrant workforce?

2 hours ago, Snake said:

I would be willing to bet keeping people off the road saved more lives that this has cost.

Now that's an interesting thought, do some research and post up some factual numbers for us.

2 hours ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Start of every day at work for me. 

930F93E6-95D7-4720-BE81-81035FE9DC82.jpeg

I'm thinking these meat packing plants are going to have get there folks some serious PPE like you have to keep people working, what are those outfits made out of?

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

If I'm Biden, I just watch and observe while Trump creates commercials on an almost daily basis for the democrats.

We know the rate of infection at the Smithfield SD was over 10%, what happens when the workers are to sick or scared to show up, who is going to replace the mainly immigrant workforce?

As I've stated before it might have to be the NG but hopefully it won't get to that.   

I don't believe the act Trump evoked mandates full production.   Not sure on what it does say.

Hopefully the company can do as much as possible to help the safety of the workers but if you knew anything about the food processing industry you would understand its likely they are spreading it at home more so than at the plant. 

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I know what is best for everyone. Trump is a asshole and I know what’s best for everyone 

CB508E2C-0E84-4BB0-AF05-6765C0BB3256.jpeg