Check your account email address ×

Quaranitne Garage Projects!

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

It is used in machining for measurements of height mainly. It is a granite block that is 24x24x6 inches that is flat within 1  50 millionths across the top surface.

Frigging neat.  What are you machining??

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

It is used in machining for measurements of height mainly. It is a granite block that is 24x24x6 inches that is flat within 1  50 millionths across the top surface.

Wow. Thats pretty darn flat. Hahaha

I changed the oil in the Rubicon. 5qts of Mobile 1 Full Syn @$26. WIX XP filter $6. 

Topped off all the grease joints while I was under it. I typically grease all the chassis components every 2 weeks anyway with all the off roading we do. 

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

I changed the oil in the Rubicon. 5qts of Mobile 1 Full Syn @$26. WIX XP filter $6. 

Topped off all the grease joints while I was under it. I typically grease all the chassis components every 2 weeks anyway with all the off roading we do. 

What weight? I run 0W-40 in my Vector, the European flavor but will likely switch to Pennzoil something or other when I run out?

Hi-Flo filter for me is just over $11 bucks now. Still half price and of better quality than a Yamaha one. Same with the oil.

6 minutes ago, irv said:

What weight? I run 0W-40 in my Vector, the European flavor but will likely switch to Pennzoil something or other when I run out?

Hi-Flo filter for me is just over $11 bucks now. Still half price and of better quality than a Yamaha one. Same with the oil.

Nice!!  I always had a soft spot for the Vector.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, irv said:

5w30. I use it in almost everything. Moho, Jeep, Onan generator, Honda generator. If I were in AZ during summer I would probably consider the next heavier oil. 

Im AK i run Mobile 1 5w30 in everything year round. Every 4 cycle engine I have uses the same oil. Has for decades. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

5w30. I use it in almost everything. Moho, Jeep, Onan generator, Honda generator. If I were in AZ during summer I would probably consider the next heavier oil. 

Im AK i run Mobile 1 5w30 in everything year round. Every 4 cycle engine I have uses the same oil. Has for decades. 

I was a Mobil guy for a while but then did some research on it, mainly from the bob is the oil guy forum, and found it wasn't any better, and in fact not as good as some oils that could be purchased for less money.

No fear of your engine grenading on it or anything like that, but for the price of it, especially up here, I switched to Pennzoil a while back and haven't looked back.

The VOA's and UOA's, from what I seen looked much better from Pennzoil than they did from Mobil. Full 5 qt jugs are still cheaper than Mobil's 4.4 Lt jugs up here.

29 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Nice!!  I always had a soft spot for the Vector.  

Haha, I was totally going to go there too!! What a car that was.. 

1 hour ago, irv said:

I was a Mobil guy for a while but then did some research on it, mainly from the bob is the oil guy forum, and found it wasn't any better, and in fact not as good as some oils that could be purchased for less money.

No fear of your engine grenading on it or anything like that, but for the price of it, especially up here, I switched to Pennzoil a while back and haven't looked back.

The VOA's and UOA's, from what I seen looked much better from Pennzoil than they did from Mobil. Full 5 qt jugs are still cheaper than Mobil's 4.4 Lt jugs up here.

Mobile 1 is $26 for 5qts. That is a fair price. I use it in everything. Its just easier to have one oil for everything. 

Im sure the Pennzoil is good oil. 

• Like 1

Man I crawled in and out from under that truck 100 times today.  I likely won't be able to walk tomorrow, but all that's left on the truck is the upper intake, radiator hoses, tightened up the Y-pipe, oil & coolant.  Waiting on upper intake gaskets.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Man I crawled in and out from under that truck 100 times today.  I likely won't be able to walk tomorrow, but all that's left on the truck is the upper intake, radiator hoses, tightened up the Y-pipe, oil & coolant.  Waiting on upper intake gaskets.

Man, the last time I crawled under my truck it was to see how difficult it would be to put on long tubes.  I remember laughing....and that was it.  I just don’t have that type of interest anymore.  I’ve done enough knuckle busting on cars and trucks to say I’m good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Mobile 1 is $26 for 5qts. That is a fair price. I use it in everything. Its just easier to have one oil for everything. 

I buy the Mobile 1 5w-20 high mileage and run that in all three vehicles.  Buy a six pack of the five quart jugs from Walmart and have them shipped to the house.  Always go to the store and walk away with 1 or 2, if they even have thatany.  $126.89 for them now which is only $21 and change per jug.  We drive alot so each vehicle gets at least 2 changes per year.

Motorcycle gets 10w-40 Amsoil or Mobil 1 for bikes.  4 wheeler gets Valvoline atv 10w-40 in summer and a generic 5w-30 synthetic in the winter.  New wheeler will run Honda 10w-30 for at least this summer until it is good and broke in.

Usually all OEM filters.  If not, then Wix.

$26 bucks is a very good price. Up here, normal price is over $61 dollars for the entry level syn then goes up from there. Pennzoil is about $5 to $7 cheaper normally, and like I mentioned earlier, it comes in bigger jugs. I never purchase any oil at full pop but hoard a few jugs to have on hand when it goes on sale at 45% off or more. Each year Pennzoil has a $10 per jug mail in rebate (up to 4, 5 Lt jugs) so I am paying around $18-$20 bucks a jug for it. I believe Mobil offers something similar if you weren't aware of that?

I run Pennzoil in everything now, except my boat motor, as Pennzoil no longer makes a specific 4 stroke marine oil for it but I am tempted to try some Pennzoil in it as some have said it won't hurt a thing, and for the extra protection the marine oil is suppose to provide, it will be a non factor for me running it in fresh water only all the time?? 

Thoughts on that? 

10 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

In she goes. I'm a one man show so it was about an hour struggle to get it in there. Not too bad really other than the boom on my hoist is too short.

20200416_090845.jpg

20200416_105511.jpg

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

Was going to say, that must have been a task and half doing all that by yourself! 

Looks good in there so good job, and good luck moving around tomorrow as well. :bc:

Only garage projects I've been doin' is getting the three mowers ready. Batteries suck on two of them, not charging good at all. Ordered a new one tonight. Will probably order another one soon. 

Mostly, I've been doing yard work. Raking all the winter damage, and downed branches. Had the place all done last week, then a storm came through. Had to pick up hundreds of various-sized branches...……..again. 

Pretty much done now, ready for the landscapers to mow. Took numerous days to finish. 

Weather has sucked anyway...……..no great loss.

Covid is here, didn't want to go anywhere, anyway. 

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Man, the last time I crawled under my truck it was to see how difficult it would be to put on long tubes.  I remember laughing....and that was it.  I just don’t have that type of interest anymore.  I’ve done enough knuckle busting on cars and trucks to say I’m good!

3 years ago I did a transmission on the ground and I swore myself I was done with that bullshit.  Well here we are again lol.

3 hours ago, irv said:

Was going to say, that must have been a task and half doing all that by yourself! 

Looks good in there so good job, and good luck moving around tomorrow as well. :bc:

It required some creative thinking using ratchet straps and changing mounting points. Biggest struggle was getting the trans lined up square i had to ratchet strap the transfer case to the frame it naturally wanted to pull tension to the left right side.

It sucked but will be rewarding when I drive it to work on Monday.

Yep. Work. Essential again, going back to work. 2 people in my company got the covid. Closed down 3 weeks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, irv said:

$26 bucks is a very good price. Up here, normal price is over $61 dollars for the entry level syn then goes up from there. Pennzoil is about $5 to $7 cheaper normally, and like I mentioned earlier, it comes in bigger jugs. I never purchase any oil at full pop but hoard a few jugs to have on hand when it goes on sale at 45% off or more. Each year Pennzoil has a $10 per jug mail in rebate (up to 4, 5 Lt jugs) so I am paying around $18-$20 bucks a jug for it. I believe Mobil offers something similar if you weren't aware of that?

I run Pennzoil in everything now, except my boat motor, as Pennzoil no longer makes a specific 4 stroke marine oil for it but I am tempted to try some Pennzoil in it as some have said it won't hurt a thing, and for the extra protection the marine oil is suppose to provide, it will be a non factor for me running it in fresh water only all the time?? 

Thoughts on that? 

I think the Pennzoil would work just fine in the outboard. Just run the recommended weight. 

I think the Pennzoil would work just fine in the outboard. Just run the recommended weight. 

It seems to be about a 50/50 split with some saying "Never" run a regular car oil in an outboard motor and the other 50% saying they've done it for years without trouble.

It's hard to find out exactly what is in the NMMA FC-W but most say it is just anti rust additive? I've never had a car engine rust on me yet using regular car engine oil but then again, my vehicles aren't used in or near the water. I think a jug (5 Ltr's)  of Merc semi syn was around $55 dollars at my dealer last year but I paid more getting it from a guy I knew who owns a shop who I thought would be cheaper. There's not a huge difference in price so it's likely silly of me even thinking about running a non outboard motor oil in my engine so more than likely I will just stick with it? 

I was just curious your thoughts on it as I assume you likely are more knowledgeable than me with regards to it.

Dug into the battery wires on one of my mowers today!!! SONOFABITCH!!! One of the terminals broke off in my hand, and the wire was corroded back at least one inch!

No wonder the fukkin thing wouldn't charge or start right.

Cut and stripped the wire, ground the battery terminals down to shiny lead, charged the battery for about ten minutes, put the clean wires back, and the fukker started up like a double AA dragster at New England Speedway!!

Hitched up the side mower, that took quite a few pulls, but got that runnin' too. 

Went out and mowed for about half an hour to run them in, and test them for the season. So far so good.

Just gotta' wait for that new battery, and put that in my old mower, hope that runs OK too. 

After I do my complete first cut, I'll overhaul them, one by one. Muscling the decks off and on, is very tiring. Grind the blades, clean everything up, grease the fittings, change oils, filters, etc. PITA. 

4 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Dug into the battery wires on one of my mowers today!!! SONOFABITCH!!! One of the terminals broke off in my hand, and the wire was corroded back at least one inch!

No wonder the fukkin thing wouldn't charge or start right.

Cut and stripped the wire, ground the battery terminals down to shiny lead, charged the battery for about ten minutes, put the clean wires back, and the fukker started up like a double AA dragster at New England Speedway!!

Hitched up the side mower, that took quite a few pulls, but got that runnin' too. 

Went out and mowed for about half an hour to run them in, and test them for the season. So far so good.

Just gotta' wait for that new battery, and put that in my old mower, hope that runs OK too. 

After I do my complete first cut, I'll overhaul them, one by one. Muscling the decks off and on, is very tiring. Grind the blades, clean everything up, grease the fittings, change oils, filters, etc. PITA. 

On the bold, why the fuck are you taking a deck on and off?? But a set of ramps, chain fall, harbor freight jack?? Or if it's just a garden tractor pick it up and put it on its ass. A simple service should take you an hour at the most..