Check your account email address ×

Game changer.

5 minutes ago, bladefever said:

I recall some of those British cars with Lucas ignition. If it rained in North Bay your car wouldn't start in Toronto. 

You'd think coming from a wet climate they'd be better. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, irv said:

A friend of a friend did a Pro Street conversion with a Vega. BB, tubbed, roll cage, Mickey Thompson's, you name it, it had it. Crazy fast but very squirrely!!! He wrote it off on his way home one night after doing numerous wheelies beforehand at a non sanctioned meet. Rumor had it, a control arm/tie rod broke and put him in the ditch on his roof after a few barrel rolls.

I seen him almost lose it at Simcoe and Rossland one night as he was just showing off but just barely kept it under control. It was fairly busy too so it would have been real ugly if he didn't save it. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I knew it was only a matter of time. 

The Vega :lol: people did not realize that the thing was as heavy as the Camaro Firebird which came with a V8 from the factory  :guzzle:

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

You'd think coming from a wet climate they'd be better. 

The wiring harness were made with thin cheap wire and the connection points were absolutely garbage :flush:

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

The Vega :lol: people did not realize that the thing was as heavy as the Camaro Firebird which came with a V8 from the factory  :guzzle:

Seriously? I never would have guessed that. 

3 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

72 was the year where the smog equipment was really starting to take the HP numbers down.

The car below is an exact match for my Dad's 76 Ods 98 Regency 455 4 bbl., it's the car I used for prom weekend, I also have a pic of me sitting on the hood of it for HS graduation.

1976 Oldsmobile 98 | GAA Classic Cars

Old man went from 3 Electras to a new Coupe de Ville in 79, that exact same color, and matching vinyl roof.  :lol:  

37 minutes ago, s pump said:

My Mom had a TR7, Woolie and I beat the bag off that thing. Didn't stand up to our abuse. Was a chick magnet tho. 

yeah we did

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

no it wasn't,  the big v8 had about 180hp if i recall correctly.  mid 70's to the 90's was the worst time ever for american vehicles. 

Badass in the size appearance luxury etc... Not the smog motor's which were still reliable for the day Chevy small block with a flat cam and pinhole carb and an airpump  :guzzle:

Just now, Momorider said:

Badass in the size appearance luxury etc... Not the smog motor's which were still reliable for the day Chevy small block with a flat cam and pinhole carb and an airpump  :guzzle:

My 79 Trans Am with the 6.6 was pretty friggin gutless out of the box, although it could light up the rear tires fairly well.  Effed with the carb and ignition, had headers installed, woke it right the fuck up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

It was my first car, bought it from a customer in 1989 and it only had 11,000 miles on it. It was an older couple and they only used it to go to church for 11 years. :lmao:

Mine was almost identical to the one pictured right down to the wheels and tires, mine was cream colored and it had the 360. I chuckle when I hear the name Ricardo Montalban, my buddies would joke and ask if Tattoo was in the trunk. :lmao:

I like to think of him as Khan in Star Trek before and after Fantasy Island and fine Corinthian leather :lmao:

Edited by Momorider

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My 79 Trans Am with the 6.6 was pretty friggin gutless out of the box, although it could light up the rear tires fairly well.  Effed with the carb and ignition, had headers installed, woke it right the fuck up.

The smog exhaust probably take a shitload off the top but those blocks can make 600 HP easy :snack:

28 minutes ago, Momorider said:

The heaviest Vega weighed 2270lbs. The lightest Camaro, the ‘67, weighed 2910lbs. The Gen 2 Camaros had a listed curb weight of 3310lbs. 

The myth about the Vega being heavier than the Camaro has been spewed for decades. Its just as wrong today as it was in 1980. 

2 hours ago, bladefever said:

The the Vega was first. Pull into the gas station..... Check the fuel and add 3 quarts of oil.

I dated a girl in HS whose dad had a Vega, he let me use it to deliver pizza's and it helped me make good money as the Ambassador with the 390 4 bbl. was killing me with the shitty mpg's.

2 hours ago, smokin george said:

I switched from American cars to British in 1978 to an MGB, then another MGB in 1980 and a real shitbox TR7 conv. In 1985 I bought a new Mustang GT.

Those TR7's were a good looking car, unfortunately they were about as reliable as a coke whore.

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

I am a little biased.

76 with just under 32000k on it. 

20170527_110625.jpg

Is that yours? It's a beauty!

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

You had to get those low compression engines breathing to have any kind of snort, my 79 Mustang was 140 from the factory.....sad

15 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I dated a girl in HS whose dad had a Vega, he let me use it to deliver pizza's and it helped me make good money as the Ambassador with the 390 4 bbl. was killing me with the shitty mpg's.

Those TR7's were a good looking car, unfortunately they were about as reliable as a coke whore.

Is that yours? It's a beauty!

You had to get those low compression engines breathing to have any kind of snort, my 79 Mustang was 140 from the factory.....sad

Thank you, Yes it is mine.  It is in very good shape, but needs a few things every year.  My grandpa bought it in 1976 with 9,000 miles on it.  After he passed my aunt's and uncles gave me first dibs on it and I got it for a steal.  I didn't want to see it go to auction when I knew how much he loved it.  

Edited by racer254
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Lets not forget the Fiat X1/9. Same kinds looks. Not sure which one was better. Both shit boxes.

Screenshot_2020-04-06-16-40-33-1.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

The heaviest Vega weighed 2270lbs. The lightest Camaro, the ‘67, weighed 2910lbs. The Gen 2 Camaros had a listed curb weight of 3310lbs. 

The myth about the Vega being heavier than the Camaro has been spewed for decades. Its just as wrong today as it was in 1980. 

Both with a V8 the same like I posted  :guzzle:

1 hour ago, Momorider said:

Wrong. You think a SB Chevy weighs 700lbs more than a 4cyl Vega motor?  How stupid are you. A fully dressed 350 chevy weighs 500lbs. You could put a complete Small Block in the trunk of a Vega and it would still be 200lbs lighter than a ‘67 Camaro with a 6cyl and 300lbs lighter than a ‘67 Camaro with a V8

• Haha 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

My dad had one. He was still making payments on it when it was dead in the driveway . Warped aluminum block.

3 hours ago, Momorider said:

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Wrong. You think a SB Chevy weighs 700lbs more than a 4cyl Vega motor?  How stupid are you. A fully dressed 350 chevy weighs 500lbs. You could put a complete Small Block in the trunk of a Vega and it would still be 200lbs lighter than a ‘67 Camaro with a 6cyl and 300lbs lighter than a ‘67 Camaro with a V8

Momo gets caught in another lie/bullshit story :lol:

@ckf if you ever wonder why @frenchy and others take umbrage with Momo, this is just a small example :lol: :bc:

13 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Momo gets caught in another lie/bullshit story :lol:

@ckf if you ever wonder why @frenchy and others take umbrage with Momo, this is just a small example :lol: :bc:

Just because I don't have any issues with Momo doesn't mean that I expect others to feel the same.  Blast away as long as you are within the rules  :bc:

• Like 2