Check your account email address ×

GOP chairman blocks quick passage of paid sick leave bill

Something that could help people.

GOP chairman blocks quick passage of paid sick leave bill

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) blocked an attempt by Senate Democrats to quickly pass legislation on Wednesday that would require employers to provide paid sick leave.

The issue of paid sick leave has jumped into the spotlight amid growing concerns about a coronavirus outbreak within the United States. Individuals exposed to the virus are being recommended to quarantine for at least two weeks.

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) created legislation that would require employers give workers 14 days of paid sick leave during public health emergencies. She tried to get unanimous consent on the legislation on Wednesday, which would have it bypass a vote, but Alexander said he could not support the bill.

Under the Senate's rules, any one senator can try to set up a vote, or pass a bill by unanimous consent. But any one senator can also object to that request.

"The idea of paid sick leave is a good idea. But if Washington, D.C., thinks it's a good idea, Washington, D.C., should pay for it," Alexander, the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, said from the Senate floor.

"It's not a cure for the coronavirus to put a big new expensive federal mandate on employers who are struggling in the middle of this matter," Alexander said.

The GOP chairman said while he could not support the bill, he was willing to work with Murray - the top Democrat on the HELP Committee - to combat the coronavirus.

Democrats are pushing for new paid sick leave measures as an effort to try to prevent the spread of the virus. They worry that without paid sick leave, employees will try to come to work sick.

Murray's state has been particularly hard hit by the coronavirus. More than 260 cases have been reported from the state, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Our primary goal right now, for people in my home state and across the country, needs to be slowing the spread of the virus in areas where there are outbreaks, so areas where it hasn't hit so hard yet have time to prepare," Murray said Wednesday.

"One of the best ways we can do this is by allowing workers who feel sick -- or who need to stay home with a child whose school is closed -- to do so without losing a paycheck or a job," she added.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-chairman-blocks-quick-passage-of-paid-sick-leave-bill/ar-BB113QkV

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

You know what could help people Vince

Medicare for all ....but you don’t like that 

It has its pros and cons, there is no way Bernie could have beat Trump with his platform.

The start is to make changes to Obamacare, and work into a public option, it won't happen overnight.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It has its pros and cons, there is no way Bernie could have beat Trump with his platform.

The start is to make changes to Obamacare, and work into a public option, it won't happen overnight.

I’m fine with you’re measured response 

Bernie wants to change the system drastically...I get that. I’m willing to give up some of what I have and pay a little more if it helps people. That’s how simple it is

• Like 2

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

You know what could help people Vince

Medicare for all ....but you don’t like that 

No what could help people is fair pricing on healthcare. Fair pricing on Prescription drugs and office visits for basic medical care. We don’t need medical insurance for basic medical needs. You don’t Use car insurance to get an oil change do you use it when you get into an accident. Health insurance should be for when you have a heart attack get cancer or some other catastrophic health event

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

No what could help people is fair pricing on healthcare. Fair pricing on Prescription drugs and office visits for basic medical care. We don’t need medical insurance for basic medical needs. You don’t Use car insurance to get an oil change do you use it when you get into an accident. Health insurance should be for when you have a heart attack get cancer or some other catastrophic health event

Like Coronavirus derp :lol:

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Like Coronavirus derp :lol:

I was referring to a personal event. I believe There should be zero cost to the Patient in regard to a situation like coronavirus as it can affect other people. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
46 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

IT should be. And I could support a public system like that. And I believe the easiest route to it is expanding the VA system. Starting with Medicaid and moving on to medicare. Then expand to all who want once the system is in place to handle it. I will never support a system where people go to any dr they want any time they want.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Something that could help people.

Knee jerk response without understanding its impacts.   Not every business can afford this number one and how often are things like the seasonal flu ruled state of emergencies in the future.   My concern is the emergency rule would be weaponized and used all the time. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Knee jerk response without understanding its impacts.   Not every business can afford this. 

Exactly.  Forcing companies to do this could be enough to cause little businesses to shut down. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, racer254 said:

Exactly.  Forcing companies to do this could be enough to cause little businesses to shut down. 

Anyone who doesn't have a rainy day fund of at minimum 3 months isn't managing their money properly.   

9 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The start is to make changes to Obamacare, and work into a non mandatory public option, it won't happen overnight.

This.   Lets begin by letting more competition across state lines for larger insurance pools.   

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

this is a point i would agree on.  if we address cost the regualr stuff will be affordable

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That's what I'm talking about.

Imagine if all the nations small business' (500 employee's or less) could pool together under a single insurance plan.   The first public option I'd like to see is the SBA organize this and negotiate terms with the HI and pharm companies.   

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

This.   Lets begin by letting more competition across state lines for larger insurance pools.   

TBH that will be pretty irrelevant inside a year or 2.  cheap states will have premiums rise to pay for the increased costs of the new customers and the fall in the high cost states would be minimal

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Knee jerk response without understanding its impacts.   Not every business can afford this number one and how often are things like the seasonal flu ruled state of emergencies in the future.   My concern is the emergency rule would be weaponized and used all the time. 

Our area passed something like this giving part time help paid leave days.  Many small businesses were opposed to this as they already operate on shoestring budgets and said they’d have to shut down. Empty buildings now in the small business districts.  Now, many have all the “leave time” they need....just unpaid, like before.

Next up....April 1st, a tax up charge for those using plastic bags.....again, passes with heavy opposition from retailers trying to stay competitive.

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Anyone who doesn't have a rainy day fund of at minimum 3 months isn't managing their money properly.   

Clearly you haven’t seen the new vehicles and simple, and easy finance plans!!!

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Imagine if all the nations small business' (500 employee's or less) could pool together under a single insurance plan.   The first public option I'd like to see is the SBA organize this and negotiate terms with the HI and pharm companies.   

I don’t know, seems like there are already things like this out there.  I don’t think any really help much.  The risk pool percentages go up and premium rates follow.