Check your account email address ×

GOP chairman blocks quick passage of paid sick leave bill

• Platinum Contributing Member
36 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

TBH that will be pretty irrelevant inside a year or 2.  cheap states will have premiums rise to pay for the increased costs of the new customers and the fall in the high cost states would be minimal

Well that statement goes against the typical insurance model of spreading out risk. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Well that statement goes against the typical insurance model of spreading out risk. 

cheap insurers are cheap because the population has lower heath costs-  add in insured from other states with highier health care costs and their premiums must rise for all to accommodate that.  

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

How about a "temporary change" allow the sick to collect UE.

Reality is the employer can just lay sick people off.   Are you suggesting allowing it without impacting your tax factor?

If it would dramatically slow us down that is what I would possibly do company wide or in groups anyway and bonus employee's to cover the difference or loss from wages to UE benefits.   Studies I've done in the past the cost increase to just keep paying them for not working is not much more than the impact on the UTF for the next 20 quarters.    

Edited by Highmark

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Reality is the employer can just lay sick people off.   Are you suggesting allowing it without impacting your tax factor?

If it would dramatically slow us down that is what I would possibly do company wide or in groups anyway and bonus employee's to cover the difference or loss from wages to UE benefits.   Studies I've done in the past the cost increase to just keep paying them for not working is not much more than the impact on the UTF for the next 20 quarters.    

Do you know what your current rate is ?

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Do you know what your current rate is ?

Haven't paid attention to it in a while.   We've been at the minimum for over a decade.  

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Lay offs without waiting period, ( not sure if all states are the same) No just like any other layoff except that you don't have waiting period, and you don't need to be able and available for work, that is a requirement currently in PA.