Check your account email address ×

Finally going to do it.....cutting the cable... YouTube TV????

ckf

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Anything transmitted over the air can be received for free, if you transmit it then it can be illegal.

Streaming illegally shared content in the US is currently a misdemeanour may vary per state.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

Streaming illegally shared content in the US is currently a misdemeanour may vary per state.   

The places streaming it might have an issue, not those receiving it over the air, besides if someone is worried then there are free VPN's or some can cost a couple bucks a month.

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

Jesus Christ people it's like $1.50 a day to entertain and inform you.

Are you really that cheap?

An Android box can get you so many 10's of 1000's of more programs and channels, and even every channel from all over the World if you choose to view those too, nothing compares to it..not even close, many folks here use them..

I have DirecTv but will go back to an Antenna this Spring or Summer, Antenna TV is actually clearer but with limited channels, I would do it now but my rotor quit working and it's 80 feet up on my Tower so someone's gotta climb it and it ain't me..LOL

• Haha 2

Hey ckf just switched to YouTube tv a week ago. 

First the good-

Works well, app is a bit clunky, unlimited dvr with multiple accounts is nice . Just add what you watch to your library and it will be there. I did golf and supercross and it works well. Nice to be able to watch....then take it with you on your phone or whatever if you go cook or whatever. 

Another nice feature is as soon as a network releases a movie you can go watch it like it's already in DVR and movies change out almost daily from what I can tell. Fast forward and rewind work well with a nice preview window so you can see where you're at. 

Drawbacks- it's only 720p

As far as I can tell no flash back to jump back and forth between two things (it's my fav for sport's)

Cable is still better but this is roughly $600 less a year and I hate my cable co as well. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

First the good-

Works well, app is a bit clunky, unlimited dvr with multiple accounts is nice . Just add what you watch to your library and it will be there. I did golf and supercross and it works well. Nice to be able to watch....then take it with you on your phone or whatever if you go cook or whatever. 

Another nice feature is as soon as a network releases a movie you can go watch it like it's already in DVR and movies change out almost daily from what I can tell. Fast forward and rewind work well with a nice preview window so you can see where you're at. 

As far as I can tell no flash back to jump back and forth between two things (it's my fav for sport's)

Cable is still better but this is roughly $600 less a year and I hate my cable co as well. 

I didn't realize it was only 720p. Anyone know what Hulu Live TV streams at?

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

I didn't realize it was only 720p. Anyone know what Hulu Live TV streams at?

I think most others are 1080

I'm hoping it changes soon because you can notice it. I read somewhere some sports are 1080 buy I haven't seen that yet

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

I think most others are 1080

I'm hoping it changes soon because you can notice it. I read somewhere some sports are 1080 buy I haven't seen that yet

We have a 4K smart TV and sat TV HD and the wife still watches all her shows in 480 SD.:lol:

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My internet in the country isn't fast or reliable enough to go streaming only yet.   We are suppose to get fiber optic internet this spring and I'll look at it then.   I complain to DTV about things and get deals all the time.   This year got the NFL package for free.  

Edited by Highmark

13 hours ago, ckf said:

After spending an hour on the phone with Comcast last week we decided to get rid of cable and go to streaming only. I got my bill down to $217 from $263, and got more channels :wtf:   The only way I was going to stream was if it was through an easy to use remote / menu system. After a bit of research I decided on Roku. From there I ended up buying an inexpensive reconditioned TCL tv with built in Roku. It was rated a best buy for an inexpensive TV. We already have Amazon Prime and Netflix. We are thinking of going with YouTube TV for our local and cable channels. It's $50 a month, but it looks like it covers most of the channels we currently watch. The only thing I noticed was no NFL network. Any of you guys have Y^ouTube TV, or one of the other streaming services that carry networks too?

the TCL ROku interface is excellent. I bought my daughter one for her dorm and bought a 65 for the house for myself.  

• Like 1

I only stay with Comcast because i beat the shit out of them and got them to give me a new customer deal for my double play which is within a few bucks of what I would pay for one of the streaming services and high speed internet.  I find myself watching less and less TV and more and more youtube content these days.  Having the ability to watch youtube through the ROKU is nice if i want to watch something long.  i think when this deal expires i may dump cable and just stick with the Netflix and Amazon Prime.  Wifes giving lip service that she'd be OK with that.  

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

the TCL ROku interface is excellent. I bought my daughter one for her dorm and bought a 65 for the house for myself.  

I picked up a refurbished series 5 49"  4k  TCL $209 delivered through Walmart.com. I've always had good luck with refurbished camera gear so I thought I'd give a TV a try. So far so good. The unit looks and preforms like it's new. I think I'll eventually get something a little bigger for the LR and put this unit in my bedroom.

The new TV is a hell of a lot lighter than the 10 year old 42" plasma that it replaced. 

What is the OTA reception like there?  If it's decent, look into a tablo OTA DVR.  It's a box that sits on your network and pulls OTA signals off the air.  You access it via a Roku app just like any other streaming service.  It's a couple bucks a month for the channel guide service.

I'm in the Phoenix AZ metro and it works fantastic.  Was great when I was in the Milwaukee metro before also.  Cheap flat antenna from Amazon was all I needed.

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

What is the OTA reception like there?  If it's decent, look into a tablo OTA DVR.  It's a box that sits on your network and pulls OTA signals off the air.  You access it via a Roku app just like any other streaming service.  It's a couple bucks a month for the channel guide service.

I'm in the Phoenix AZ metro and it works fantastic.  Was great when I was in the Milwaukee metro before also.  Cheap flat antenna from Amazon was all I needed.

:lol:  he'd prob be having an easier time finding quebec channels OTA and maybe 1 station from burlington.  Although Global does have some fine canadian shows at least back when that was the 1 channel we got up north.  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:20 AM, washedupmxer said:

First the good-

I just signed up for the free trial of YT TV.  Is there a traditional menu listing the current and upcoming show like cable or satellite?

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

I just signed up for the free trial of YT TV.  Is there a traditional menu listing the current and upcoming show like cable or satellite?

Ya back button to home screen move cursor right from home selection to live.  It will look like this

IMG_20200108_122235.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, washedupmxer said:

Ya back button to home screen move cursor right from home selection to live.  It will look like this

IMG_20200108_122235.jpg

It's a little sluggish compared to Xfinity cable, but we can live with that. Once we get our shows setup to DVR, we don't watch much for live TV except for the NFL & motorsports.

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

It's a little sluggish compared to Xfinity cable, but we can live with that. Once we get our shows setup to DVR, we don't watch much for live TV except for the NFL & motorsports.

I had a 4K Sony with Android TV on it but switched to a 4k firestick cuz it's faster less buggy and streams all the high def audio as well as the up to 4K which Netflix,Disney+ and Prime stream. The Firestick is an Android box it runs *.apk's you just need alternatives to install some apps :news:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I had a 4K Sony with Android TV on it but switched to a 4k firestick cuz it's faster less buggy and streams all the high def audio as well as the up to 4K which Netflix,Disney+ and Prime stream. The Firestick is an Android box it runs *.apk's you just need alternatives to install some apps :news:

A fire stick is the cheapest poor man's option.   Not a ton of content in 4k so most of your stuff is 1080p. Sorry mhomo

24 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yep it's far from perfect but serviceable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

A fire stick is the cheapest poor man's option.   Not a ton of content in 4k so most of your stuff is 1080p. Sorry mhomo

Yah not alot on 4k what's better Faggot, I have had Android boxes Roku it works the best no contest Sodomite :fuckyou:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Yah not alot on 4k what's better Faggot, I have had Android boxes Roku it works the best no contest Sodomite :fuckyou:

The Roku isn't good either as an android box.  There are bigly better boxes out there with more ram and storage