Check your account email address ×

The case for letting senators vote secretly on Trump's fate

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/opinions/secret-ballot-trump-senate-impeachment-trial-alexander/index.html 

Opinion by Robert Alexander 
Updated 4:54 AM ET, Mon December 30, 2019 
"Robert Alexander is a professor of political science at Ohio Northern University and the author of "Representation and the Electoral College." Follow him on Twitter: @onuprof. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own. View more opinion at CNN." 

(CNN)Donald Trump will go down in history as the third US president to be impeached. Yet no president has ever been convicted and removed from office as a result of impeachment, and it appears unlikely that Trump will be, either. 

While no Republican senator has indicated he or she will vote for Trump's removal, prominent members of the GOP like former Arizona Senator Jeff Flake claim that at least 35 would do so if they were allowed to cast their ballots in secret. 

Republican strategist Juleanna Glover has made the case for a secret ballot, arguing that it would be surprisingly simple to accomplish. She contends that it would take just a few Republican senators to demand a secret ballot on the condition that they would approve the rest of the rules governing the trial. Senator Brian Schatz, a Democrat from Hawaii, regularly points this out to his Twitter followers -- stating that it only takes "four votes for a fair trial." 

The idea of a secret ballot, however, is contrary to the norm of transparency that would be expected for such a monumental decision. And it raises the issue of just how accountable elected representatives should be to American voters. 

At the same time, members of the Senate have already stated the process will be highly partisan. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham has said, "I will do everything I can to make it die quickly," and added, "I am not trying to pretend to be a fair juror here." 

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell went further, noting that he would be "in total coordination" with the White House. This, too, is at odds with norms associated with the rule of law, separation of powers and expectations articulated by the Framers of the Constitution. 

snip// 

If a future president fails to obtain a majority in the Electoral College, the House would decide in a contingent election with no requirement that the commander-in-chief be selected through a public process. It seems that if transparency and accountability are not required in that instance, the same can be said of an impeachment vote. 

However, while holding an anonymous vote may allow senators the freedom to make decisions they believe are in the best interest of the country, the need for trust, transparency, and accountability are critical in our current environment. Recognizing that senators would likely vote differently depending on the openness of their decisions is telling, revealing that the impeachment process of the Framers is deeply flawed. 
In this way, Hamilton fully understood the need for the Senate to be free of political retribution in order to be an independent and impartial jury. This now seems impossible given how our politics have evolved.

(CNN)Donald Trump will go down in history as the third US president to be impeached. Yet no president has ever been convicted and removed from office as a result of impeachment, and it appears unlikely that Trump will be, either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

I see the board asshole has spoken. Maybe someday he can actually start threads without just following members around tossing insults at them like an ignoramus.

You talking to me or Zamboni or teamgreen02?  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member

Didn’t read anything but the title but nope...  all workings of our Congress should be out in public....  voting is our only recourse for dealing with corrupted individuals in DC so we need all the facts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

What do the Trumpers fear from a secret vote?

You honestly think that is how it should work in America?   People like you need to fucking die already.  

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

No, this one is fucking bullshit.   if it starts with Trump's secret voting , then what's next ?  voting on Iran war and we cannot see who for it and whos against it like we can on Iraq war.  Bad idea all the way around. 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Fuck that shit! Vote publicly, every one has a right to know exactly how our elected idiots vote. Enough of this secrecy bullshit, too much of our government is already secret.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You honestly think that is how it should work in America?   People like you need to fucking die already.  

You agree with McConnell that he will work with the convicted Trump to exonerate him.

YOU THINK IT SHOULD WORK LIKE THAT?

WHY NO COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT?

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You agree with McConnell that he will work with the convicted Trump to exonerate him.

YOU THINK IT SHOULD WORK LIKE THAT?

WHY NO COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT?

Yes, I agree with McConnell to make it as partisan as possible JUST LIKE THE DEMS DID WITH THE INQUIRY.   What goes around comes around.   The dems worked with Clinton as well.

I'll bet you think the inquiry was a fair, bipartisan process don't you?  :lmao:  You fucking crack me up.   Every dollar I donate to get Trump reelected makes me smile thinking the absolute anguish it will cause you when he wins again.     

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 2