Check your account email address ×

Canadian sports broadcaster Don Cherry steps down after on-air remarks about immigrants

Pete

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

He left with his dignity.

His statements were correct.

Fuck this PC bullshit!

He just admitted they were not. 
He’s dumb. But not that dumb. 

Racist Grandpa said what he wanted. That’s fine around the dinner table at Xmas when only the family has to listen. But he doesn’t deserve a tv spot to talk shit about immigrants. 

He could have said. “I misspoke, I did not mean immigrants. I meant to say you people who don’t wear poppies and that goes for all Canadians who don’t respect the sacrifices of our soldiers. “

But he let it stand and in the end he is the one disrespecting immigrants who served and singling our immigrants when many people in Canada do not purchase poppies. 

Don’t cry for Don. He has a new job offer. 

C3624248-56D3-4413-AFBA-73228C2E7E8B.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, irv said:

Don, as expected is receiving a lot of love. Many are refusing to watch SportsNet and Hockey Night in Canada this coming weekend. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/toronto-sun-readers-respond-to-don-cherrys-firing

Grapes feeling the love from supporters

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-grapes-feeling-the-love-from-supporters

Just returned from a very proud and moving Remembrance Day ceremony at the Sunnybrook Veterans Centre. It was a reminder of the many freedoms we enjoy as Canadians, thanks to those who have made the supreme sacrifice. When I got home, I heard about Don Cherry’s dismissal and was once again reminded that things like “freedom of speech” are a hypocrisy that only matter if you agree with what is being said. Politicians and the media will toss around phrases like “it’s our diversity that makes us stronger” and “we live in an inclusive society,” without realizing that diversity and inclusiveness is supposed to mean everyone — including the Don Cherrys of the world and your Uncle Charlie, though sometimes he needs a filter. Oh, and nice touch, firing a man who has done so much for our vets on Remembrance Day. No more Hockey Night in Canada for me — it has become a mediocre product anyway.

M. Benson
Brampton

I was livid when I heard of Don Cherry’s firing for “having an opinion” that I wholeheartedly agree with. The left is the epitome of hypocrisy. How is it that our so-called leader (and I use that term loosely) Justin Trudeau can wear blackface three times and still keep his job as prime minister and Don Cherry gets fired for telling it like it is! What a farce! We should have Cherry as prime minister! I’d vote for him in a heartbeat! People in Canada should be so lucky to enjoy the freedoms that our brave soldiers fought and died for. The least all Canadians can do is wear a poppy on Remembrance Day to remember our veterans. Ron MacLean threw Cherry under the bus. When Ron got fired twice, Don stood up for him and this is how he is repaid? Unbelievable. But what do you expect from a bunch of pinkos?

Rob Onyskiw

Sounds like a bunch of butt hurt snowflakes pissed off that they can’t talk shit about immigrants. 

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Sounds like a bunch of butt hurt snowflakes pissed off that they can’t talk shit about immigrants. 

Look at you defending his idiocy and calling others snowflakes because they “can’t talk about others”.  :lol:

Dumb fucking pussy.

• Like 2

Just now, revkevsdi said:

Shut up you whiny, ignorant bitch. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you were one who phoned in to complain about Don. 

Go change your diaper and have a nap girly boy. 

Liberals3.jpg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

He just admitted they were not. 
He’s dumb. But not that dumb. 

Racist Grandpa said what he wanted. That’s fine around the dinner table at Xmas when only the family has to listen. But he doesn’t deserve a tv spot to talk shit about immigrants. 

He could have said. “I misspoke, I did not mean immigrants. I meant to say you people who don’t wear poppies and that goes for all Canadians who don’t respect the sacrifices of our soldiers. “

But he let it stand and in the end he is the one disrespecting immigrants who served and singling our immigrants when many people in Canada do not purchase poppies. 

Don’t cry for Don. He has a new job offer. 

C3624248-56D3-4413-AFBA-73228C2E7E8B.jpeg

He didn't miss speak. He was misunderstood.

Everyone who consciously doesn't wear the poppy should just leave.

What he said was not wrong but his delivery of the message was hamfisted at best.

What we a are witnessing is the faceless backlash of social media. I think major corporations rely too much on what goes on in these echo chambers as to what happens in the real world. IMO the gossip of social media should be taken as such GOSSIP.

CBC wouldn't even play the clip and implied without saying it that it was racist in some way because it targeted immigrants. Well as immigrants you might not know the realities/traditions/significance of your new country's traditions. This was supposed to be a teaching/learning moment to the importance of remembrance day to Canadians.

Social media made it out to be racist because immigrants cant be spoken to.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Roosting said:

What he said was not wrong but his delivery of the message was hamfisted at best.

What we a are witnessing is the faceless backlash of social media. I think major corporations rely too much on what goes on in these echo chambers as to what happens in the real world. IMO the gossip of social media should be taken as such GOSSIP.

CBC wouldn't even play the clip and implied without saying it that it was racist in some way because it targeted immigrants. Well as immigrants you might not know the realities/traditions/significance of your new country's traditions. This was supposed to be a teaching/learning moment to the importance of remembrance day to Canadians.

well said

3 hours ago, irv said:

Shut up you whiny, ignorant bitch. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you were one who phoned in to complain about Don. 

Go change your diaper and have a nap girly boy. 

Liberals3.jpg

3 hours ago, awful knawful said:

He didn't miss speak. He was misunderstood.

Everyone who consciously doesn't wear the poppy should just leave.

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nobody more of a butthurt snowflake than this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Well he is an idiot. Wanna trade for Anler?

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

We have an Anal"r running this country

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

“Hate speech has no place in Canada....unless us libtwats authorize it to come from us!!!!

2 hours ago, Roosting said:

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

well said

It was mentioned on another thread but funny how the same pussies that wanted Kaepernec fired are rushing to defend Cherry.

Just now, revkevsdi said:

It was mentioned on another thread but funny how the same pussies that wanted Kaepernec fired are rushing to defend Cherry.

Holy fuck.  This is why nobody believes your side of the MMGW horse shit.  You are all just butt-hurt dummies.  Just mad and dumb as fuck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Aren't those some type of military uniforms tho?  Yes.

Fail.  Again.  Fail.....fail...fail...fail....repeat, repeat, repeat.

Stupid fucking libtwat.

looks like RC Air Cadets to me.

Funny how a guy who fancies himself intelligent can so often and so cleanly miss a point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, frenchy said:

looks like RC Air Cadets to me.

Funny how a guy who fancies himself intelligent can so often and so cleanly miss a point.

Pretty sure they are forced to wear them so Barb clearly missed more than a point.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Pretty sure they are forced to wear them so Barb clearly missed more than a point.

He didn't miss it...he just doesn't know how things work.  Total imbecile.

"Look!  Look!!  These immigrants are wearing them and decided to march in step in uniform when doing so!!!!  I'm right!  I'm right again!!!!"

*invests in GICs for retirement income.