Check your account email address ×

Ford 2 Liter Turbo....yay or nay?

• Platinum Contributing Member

So we are trying to sort out the transmission issues in my daughters Lexus and are thinking about sending it down the road once it’s rectified so she is constantly sending me links to vehicles...Lincoln MKC with a 2 liter turbo...consider it or run like hell? 🤣

fuck used shit buy her a new Kia /Hyundai or the like think one of them is running zero %for 72 . she is a kid and dose not need all the luxury shit and issues that go with them . 17k for a elantra gt or a soul etc and it will run issue free and prob still have warranty untill she is well out of school and in to a job where she can afford a larger payment .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

fuck used shit buy her a new Kia /Hyundai or the like think one of them is running zero %for 72 . she is a kid and dose not need all the luxury shit and issues that go with them . 17k for a elantra gt or a soul etc and it will run issue free and prob still have warranty untill she is well out of school and in to a job where she can afford a larger payment .

I agree. I was looking at used for my kids and ended up buying new for a couple grand more. 

That Elantra is a decent car for the money.

54 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yep. Hard to beat free roadside assistance, full warranty etc etc.

Small turbo direct injection engines "can" be prone to low speed pre-ignition. Engine oils low in calcium, 91 oct fuels help alot. BTW LSPI can break pistons.

If thats something you and or you daughter are willing to fuck around with, go for it. Otherwise if you may just want to stick with a naturally aspirated non direct injected engine.

Edited by Legend

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So we are trying to sort out the transmission issues in my daughters Lexus and are thinking about sending it down the road once it’s rectified so she is constantly sending me links to vehicles...Lincoln MKC with a 2 liter turbo...consider it or run like hell? 🤣

How much do they want for it and how many miles? 

An MKC is just a dressed up Ford Escape with a lot more bells and whistles 

I did the numbers after selling off my sons jeep.  With all the issues i ended up paying more than one of these super cheap nissan rogue leases they offer around here.  Issue with the new car is the insurance can add another $100 or so a month. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Have a 2016 Fusion Titanium with the 2.0T.  Have just about 75K on it.  It has been good thus far, no issues.  Only disappointment is the MPG, straight freeway driving it will pull 30mpg, but any sort of city/highway mix drops that down to 25-26 or worse.My Wife can't ease into the throttle and I feel like we're always filling that thing up. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My son has a '13 Focus ST with the 2.0 Turbo, 6 speed stick. He has about 85k miles, 140k kms. No issues with the motor or trans so far. AC compressor and an alternator/battery have been his biggest repairs. He's on the highway or running to the pizza shop up the road and averaging 30 mpg.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I did the numbers after selling off my sons jeep.  With all the issues i ended up paying more than one of these super cheap nissan rogue leases they offer around here.  Issue with the new car is the insurance can add another $100 or so a month. 

not always with the theft trackers and all the safety shit they can be less . now certen cars always cost more even if they are a slow pos . just because of who buys them .

like my wife bought this eclipse convert non turbo 4cyl in 05 and the insurance was crazy high . way more than her Mercedes she had at the time that cost 3x what the eclips cost . but it was because all the wrecks the eclipse model had with teen boys playing fast and ferrous or some such shit.  

guarrentee your agent can tell you what cars are relitivly cheep to cover and ones to avoid 

Edited by Ez ryder

7 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I hope you didn't buy the Nissan?  Probably one of the worst vehicles you can buy theaw days. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I got my kid into a Kia Optima. 100,000 mile warranty. .9% interest for 72 months. She just traded it on a minivan two months ago. It was 11years old and other than a cracked windshield, brakes, and sway bar ends, it was all good. I still remember the day that she showed up at the campsite with a “99 Pontiac grand am. V6. I held my tongue because she was so proud of it. It was the biggest piece of shit car ever. She’s never car shopped without me since. 

Edited by spin_dry

On 10/8/2019 at 8:08 AM, Jimmy Snacks said:

My wife has the Escape with 2.0 L turbo and it’s been great.  Front left axle shaft wasn’t machined smooth enough and ate the transaxle output seal but apparently that’s a common problem, replaced under warranty.

If looking at MKC though, don’t they offer the 2.3L turbo in there?  If so, I’d go with that  because 285 hp has to be more fun than 245 hp.

5 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

My wife has the Escape with 2.0 L turbo and it’s been great.  Front left axle shaft wasn’t machined smooth enough and ate the transaxle output seal but apparently that’s a common problem, replaced under warranty.

If looking at MKC though, don’t they offer the 2.3L turbo in there?  If so, I’d go with that  because 285 hp has to be more fun than 245 hp.

Depending on the year, mileage and what they're asking for it , he might be better off just going with a new Escape or EcoSport. 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, Ez ryder said:

not always with the theft trackers and all the safety shit they can be less . now certen cars always cost more even if they are a slow pos . just because of who buys them .

like my wife bought this eclipse convert non turbo 4cyl in 05 and the insurance was crazy high . way more than her Mercedes she had at the time that cost 3x what the eclips cost . but it was because all the wrecks the eclipse model had with teen boys playing fast and ferrous or some such shit.  

guarrentee your agent can tell you what cars are relitivly cheep to cover and ones to avoid 

My Camry was cheaper than Corolla.

Reason: older responsible people have Camry, younger hooligans have Corolla.