Check your account email address ×

My Parents House.

As many of you know both of my parents passed away in late 2017.  My dad had been ailing for a few years but my moms passing was very unexpected.  After mom passed dad just gave up and passed about 6 weeks later.   I spent the first 6 months of 2018 sorting out their estate and cleaning/emptying their house so it could be sold.  My parents had lived in the old farmhouse for 45 years so there was 45 years worth of shit that had to be sorted through and thrown away.  Between my sisters husband and I we did basically everything needed so the house could be sold.  None of my 5 siblings lifted a finger.  

We had the well and septic certified and had a real estate broker perform a fair market appraisal on the property.  The property is fairly large but also fairly run down and would take extensive remodeling to bring it up to modern standards.  The house is on +2 acres and was 4000+ sqft with an attached 1000 sqft garage.  There are several nice outbuildings and a 24'x40' greenhouse and a 12'x24' tool shed.  The RE Broker appraised the property at $142k because it needed so much work.  One of my siblings called BS on that number and had a RE friend come in and say the property was worth $300k but provided nothing to justify that value.  On August 1, 2018 we listed the home FSBO on facebook marketplace and Craigslist. I listed it for $150k cash only no owner financing and not likely to qualify for conventional financing.  I decided to list the property for 14 days and take the best offer that came in.  

Within days we had a full price cash offer and several other offers more than full price but with contingencies.  After 14 days I took the full price cash offer.  An investment company bought it with the intent of remodeling it and flipping it.  After almost exactly a year, it went back on the market in late August.  

Here is a video walk through from the listing agent.  The remodelers did a great job of transforming this old house.  It's currently 4br, 3bath with 2 more bedrooms and a full bath in the basement that are unfinished.  The master suite is 1000 sqft.  The remodeler spent $120k on the remodel.  

• Like 3

You can always tell when a female realtor takes a video.  It's all of the interior.  SHOW THE PROPERTY AND GARAGE!!!  Glad it worked out ok for you with an easy sale though.

Sucks about our aging parents.  My wife's mother is currently circling the drain, was in hospital this week and they didn't expect her to make it.  She made it!  She's going to visit them this week  Both in their 80's.  Mine are in their late 70's and they want me to come down to talk about "their last days"...Ughhh....

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

As many of you know both of my parents passed away in late 2017.  My dad had been ailing for a few years but my moms passing was very unexpected.  After mom passed dad just gave up and passed about 6 weeks later.   I spent the first 6 months of 2018 sorting out their estate and cleaning/emptying their house so it could be sold.  My parents had lived in the old farmhouse for 45 years so there was 45 years worth of shit that had to be sorted through and thrown away.  Between my sisters husband and I we did basically everything needed so the house could be sold.  None of my 5 siblings lifted a finger.  

We had the well and septic certified and had a real estate broker perform a fair market appraisal on the property.  The property is fairly large but also fairly run down and would take extensive remodeling to bring it up to modern standards.  The house is on +2 acres and was 4000+ sqft with an attached 1000 sqft garage.  There are several nice outbuildings and a 24'x40' greenhouse and a 12'x24' tool shed.  The RE Broker appraised the property at $142k because it needed so much work.  One of my siblings called BS on that number and had a RE friend come in and say the property was worth $300k but provided nothing to justify that value.  On August 1, 2018 we listed the home FSBO on facebook marketplace and Craigslist. I listed it for $150k cash only no owner financing and not likely to qualify for conventional financing.  I decided to list the property for 14 days and take the best offer that came in.  

Within days we had a full price cash offer and several other offers more than full price but with contingencies.  After 14 days I took the full price cash offer.  An investment company bought it with the intent of remodeling it and flipping it.  After almost exactly a year, it went back on the market in late August.  

Here is a video walk through from the listing agent.  The remodelers did a great job of transforming this old house.  It's currently 4br, 3bath with 2 more bedrooms and a full bath in the basement that are unfinished.  The master suite is 1000 sqft.  The remodeler spent $120k on the remodel.  

Don't you love siblings that do squat. I'm at my mom's house every sat doing upkeep so she can continue to live there relatively cheaply, but getting my brother to come over and give me a hand with the larger stuff takes making an appointment months in advance so he can clear his busy fucking schedule. I wouldn't want to interrupt a kayaking trip or a wine tasting ffs. 

It's pretty sad the vultures will hover and won't help. When my mother passed it was willed to him,myself and our nephew (in lieu of my sister who passed away young). It didn't bother us but the little cocksucker was telling us we should renovate to get top dollar and how he knows guys that can do the renos. I told him ok you pay for the work and we'll split the sale three ways lol. I did the legwork with getting the house cleaned out, contacting the lawyer and a realtor. Two days later it was sold,split three ways and haven't seen or heard from the little asshole. Good riddance

15 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Don't you love siblings that do squat. I'm at my mom's house every sat doing upkeep so she can continue to live there relatively cheaply, but getting my brother to come over and give me a hand with the larger stuff takes making an appointment months in advance so he can clear his busy fucking schedule. I wouldn't want to interrupt a kayaking trip or a wine tasting ffs. 

Yea it was quite frustrating but I kinda expected it.  It bothered me the first month or so but having my BIL Gavin there to help definitely made it easier.  Once we sorted through all the valuables and had an estate sale (glorified garage sale of garbage) it was just a matter of cleaning and throwing stuff away.   On about June 1 told everyone they had about 2 weeks to come over and get what they wanted because if it was there on June 14 it was going to the dump.  My sisters pitched a fit accusing me of wanting to throw away all moms treasures.   No one showed up to claim anything.  On June 14, I had a 30 yd dumpster delivered and hired 3 high school kids to help me fill it up.  We filled 4 dumpsters in 4 days and the place was completely empty and ready to clean.   Gavin and I cleaned and painted for the next 2 weeks and the place was ready for an appraisal.  

The place will go to a good family and that was all I was ever hoping for.  

• Like 4

Went through the same thing with my parents town home. I did all of the work, my brother,a lawyer, fucked the others by giving me a nice Check for doing all of the work. The others threw a fit. He requested a log sheet of the hours they spent working on the place and materials used with recipes. I was wondering why my brother was making me keep a journal?  Fuck them.

thankfully my wife and brother are generally on the same page when we dealt with her father dying a few years back and not her mother.  Split everything evenly my wife dealt with her dads estate my BIL is doing my MIL's and I will handle selling the condo because last time they left money on the table.  

52 minutes ago, Anler said:

The house looks great, tom. Typical family story, we are going thru something similar with my grandmother's house. Actually very similar. :lol:

It does look pretty good.  They didn't do the best drywall work and cut a few other corners here and there but overall I think they have it priced right and it should sell quickly.  With about $5000 you could finish the basement and have a 6 bedroom 4 bath home.  The actual sqft of the house is 4400, I don't know why they are only claiming 3600.  The lot is perfectly flat and 300'x300'.  The greenhouse is huge 24x40 with a 24x20 poured wall basement under half of it.   A big attached garage and a smaller detached.  This will be a great house for someone.

48 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nothing like the fresh smell of free money to bring out the relatives.

Yea, the crazy part of all of this is I get nothing out of the deal.  My parents were great people but they had some strange ideas.  The harder you worked the less you got from them. A week after my mom had passed we got access to their will.  In it they described how they were leaving everything to the 4 youngest kids because they needed it the most.  My brother (3 years younger than me) and I were hard working and successful while the other 4 were completely worthless losers.  I worked by butt off for 6 months getting the place ready to sell but when it came time to sell I didn't care if we got $20 for it because none was coming to me.  I just wanted it to sell so a nice family could move in and make it home.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Yea, I'm sure Tom's siblings that didn't want to do squat had no problem asking for "their share" :flush:

They get all of the money.  The estate will finally close by the end of the year.  My 4 youngest siblings will split about $350k.  Two of them have been asking me to give them their share out of my pocket and they will pay me back when they get their inheritance.  I just laugh and tell them to fuck off.  They can't believe that I won't just hand over $75k to each of them out of my pocket.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It does look pretty good.  They didn't do the best drywall work and cut a few other corners here and there but overall I think they have it priced right and it should sell quickly.  With about $5000 you could finish the basement and have a 6 bedroom 4 bath home.  The actual sqft of the house is 4400, I don't know why they are only claiming 3600.  The lot is perfectly flat and 300'x300'.  The greenhouse is huge 24x40 with a 24x20 poured wall basement under half of it.   A big attached garage and a smaller detached.  This will be a great house for someone.

Yea, the crazy part of all of this is I get nothing out of the deal.  My parents were great people but they had some strange ideas.  The harder you worked the less you got from them. A week after my mom had passed we got access to their will.  In it they described how they were leaving everything to the 4 youngest kids because they needed it the most.  My brother (3 years younger than me) and I were hard working and successful while the other 4 were completely worthless losers.  I worked by butt off for 6 months getting the place ready to sell but when it came time to sell I didn't care if we got $20 for it because none was coming to me.  I just wanted it to sell so a nice family could move in and make it home.  

Gross living area below grade does not count into the house SF,  it's counted as finished below grade space with less value added when finished.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

Gross living area below grade does not count into the house SF,  it's counted as finished below grade space with less value added when finished.  

For real estate purposes I'm sure you are correct.  For assessed value the tax man always counts the basement in the square footage.  At least he does around here.  

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yea it was quite frustrating but I kinda expected it.  It bothered me the first month or so but having my BIL Gavin there to help definitely made it easier.  Once we sorted through all the valuables and had an estate sale (glorified garage sale of garbage) it was just a matter of cleaning and throwing stuff away.   On about June 1 told everyone they had about 2 weeks to come over and get what they wanted because if it was there on June 14 it was going to the dump.  My sisters pitched a fit accusing me of wanting to throw away all moms treasures.   No one showed up to claim anything.  On June 14, I had a 30 yd dumpster delivered and hired 3 high school kids to help me fill it up.  We filled 4 dumpsters in 4 days and the place was completely empty and ready to clean.   Gavin and I cleaned and painted for the next 2 weeks and the place was ready for an appraisal.  

The place will go to a good family and that was all I was ever hoping for.  

Going through that same shit with my wife’s family. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

You can always tell when a female realtor takes a video.  It's all of the interior.  SHOW THE PROPERTY AND GARAGE!!!  Glad it worked out ok for you with an easy sale though.

Sucks about our aging parents.  My wife's mother is currently circling the drain, was in hospital this week and they didn't expect her to make it.  She made it!  She's going to visit them this week  Both in their 80's.  Mine are in their late 70's and they want me to come down to talk about "their last days"...Ughhh....

My dads 92 . he's been talking about his last days for 5 yrs.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

My dads 92 . he's been talking about his last days for 5 yrs.

Yeah.  It sucks.  I've been avoiding the trip but, I know it's necessary.  Both of my parents are in relative good health but, people drop dead of "good health" all the time.  And once we break into the 70's...well......

Her parents are falling apart...and her siblings are pretty much what is described above.  Losers.  My wife is the executor and it's going to be a complete shit show.  i say just let those retards have it all....it's not worth the headaches.

45 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

They get all of the money.  The estate will finally close by the end of the year.  My 4 youngest siblings will split about $350k.  Two of them have been asking me to give them their share out of my pocket and they will pay me back when they get their inheritance.  I just laugh and tell them to fuck off.  They can't believe that I won't just hand over $75k to each of them out of my pocket.  

Yea, fuck them. They can fucking wait.  

Thank God I only have 1 brother to deal with when my parents are both gone.  The other one fucked himself over with his mouth and his behavior towards my parents.  He gets $1.00. Their lawyer said leave him $1.00 so he has nothing to go after me and my brother about because that's what they left him , and it's all in legal writing. 

Just now, Mainecat said:

Going through that same shit with my wife’s family. 

My mom was a horder and had over 7000 sqft under roof.  The place was filled with worthless shit.  I took 27 full pick up loads to the dump before finally ordering the big dumpsters and finishing the job.   I found a lot of cool old things amongst all the shit.  Thousands and thousands of pictures, most were still in great shape.  Marriage certificates from my dads great great grand parents who were married in 1891.  Diaries and yearbooks from the turn of the last century.   It was pretty surreal.  

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

My dad passed back in April, mom is 84 and still lives by herself with help from my brother and myself.  There won't be any issues here or on my wife side with siblings squawking about who is getting what.

My son will inherit all of my mil's side and my 1/2 portion on my side.

Now both my dad, fil and mil have had their inheritances shortchanged by siblings 

27 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My mom was a horder and had over 7000 sqft under roof.  The place was filled with worthless shit.  I took 27 full pick up loads to the dump before finally ordering the big dumpsters and finishing the job.   I found a lot of cool old things amongst all the shit.  Thousands and thousands of pictures, most were still in great shape.  Marriage certificates from my dads great great grand parents who were married in 1891.  Diaries and yearbooks from the turn of the last century.   It was pretty surreal.  

Yup she had every precious moments figure released since day one. Every Avon figurine filled with vile scents from 1950. Wife did most of the treasure hunting for a month. I helped for days. We found Savings Bonds from the 60’s...then silver coins. Other family members argued all that stupid shit was priceless. We had a few collectors look at it and they all said the same...because everyone from that generation collected that shit and have been dying for years the market is flooded with the crap. It’s not worth a dime.

Some of the silver had value but most was worth it’s silver weight only.

Had the dumpster too and the call to everyone if you want some of the shit come get it before a certain date or it was dumpster junk. We cleaned out the house and now get calls from family members to come look at shit that’s long gone. They are not happy.

Its a lake front home and that’s a story for another day.

Edited by Mainecat