Check your account email address ×

Best looking snowmobile by year. 1980

30 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

too bad the scrap values are so low right now because most of these sleds being posted should get tossed.   

Yeah, the only thing that they did well was look good. The middle 70's and early 80's had some classic looking sleds. Rupp,  Alouette, Scorpion and of course the major players, IMO, made some works of art. Today's sleds are just stickered up with no classic looks. I guess when function trumps form that this is what happens.

My 1980 SRX before I finished restoring it.  It's pretty nice now.  Probably an 8 out of 10 IMO.  

I paid $450 for it in 2012.  It would only run on one cyl.  Turns out it had a stuck choke plunger on one cylinder.  I put a NOS windshield, stop and headlight button rubbers, oil cap and a few other OEM fasteners on it.  I did a seat cover and repaired a small dent in the anodized tub.  

It runs great now but spends 99% of it's life under a cover on the shelf.  

391776_10151240194876513_18859966_n.jpg?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I had a liquifire . , first sled

I wrapped one of these around a tree many years ago. 😣

spitfire.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, irv said:

I wrapped one of these around a tree many years ago. 😣

spitfire.jpg

I did that to a 95 xlt special. Had to shit so bad I couldn't even steer right. And not a trash can in sight ,lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Momorider said:

The original Invader looks better 77-78 I think  :dunno:

First Invader was a 1978, in all I owned 13 Kawi's, including a 1982 Interceptor which I put NOS on it, also on my 1981 LTD..the rarest one would be the 1980 as that was the 4/6 and only made 1 year, wife and I each had one.

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

First Invader was a 1978, in all I owned 13 Kawi's, including a 1982 Interceptor which I put NOS on it, also on my 1981 LTD..the rarest one would be the 1980 as that was the 4/6 and only made 1 year, wife and I each had one.

4/6 was that the special port engine with duel plug head :dunno: I thought it was LTD or something 

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

4/6 was that the special port engine with duel plug head :dunno: I thought it was LTD or something 

It was a duel plug just like all the LTD's were, it had 4 lower transfer ports which then opened up to 6 upper transfer ports, the 1980 4/6 also said Invader on it, the 81 & 92 simply said LTD, the 81 & 82 were eight port engines, both lower and upper sets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Is that 4/6 like 75 horse? :dunno: 

Ya know I'm not sure of the hp, it basically had the regular 440 crankcase with duel fuel pumps and twin pipes, engine was painted black whereas the other LTD engines were just aluminum color..in stock form the 4/6 was faster than the 8 port engines..I never left anything stock though, LOL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Pick one

1980_POLARIS_TX_L_INDY_TX_TXC_TX_L_CENTURION_PP646_6A.jpg

1980 POLARIS - TX-L INDY - TX/TX-C - TX-L - CENTURION

I had a 1979 Centurion, terrible handling sled, bought it for one of my daughters who was 12 at the time, won a radar run on Big Muskego Lake with it, class was SR9, I believe it hit 91 or 92 in 1320.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bladefever said:

This changed the " game " in 1980.

333 L/C running 38 mm carbs @ 8200 rpm.

Screenshot_2019-09-04-19-20-52-1.png

Yes it did.  Those little 340s hauled ass. I had that 1980 Srx, and then hung up the sport from 82-87.  In 1988 I bought my cousins 87 indy 600 triple, and it really was a game changer.  Fastest, best handling sled in the game back in that era.

Edited by DriftBusta