Check your account email address ×

EV idiots

1 hour ago, Momorider said:

Have to use hydrogen not some hydrocarbon to get the environmental benefits of a clean burn. But it is a tad unstable when you think of the Hindenburg  :guzzle:

They recently found out that the cause of the Hindenburg acccident was a compound used to make the highly reflective paint.  The compound, unbeknownst to them was later determined to be very similar to solid rocket fuel.  

• Gold Member
13 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It’s says change not charge you fuckin morons.

@JEFF would need to stick a fork in an electric outlet repeatedly before he became as stupid as you.

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

There are a few guys on YouTube that have put high miles on a fleet of Tesla's that are used in some sort of delivery business. I think he has one or two that are close to 200k.

My buddy is into the auto wholesale market. Often acting as a broker for dealers. He’s good at finding gems. He also has a small business of direct sales with two sons. He deals specifically with very high mileage units in his own resale business. 250,000 and 300,000 mile prius’ are common place. Original battery. The market for Tesla’s are smaller. He’s seen 200,000+ mile Tesla’s going strong. What they have going for them is a lack of major wear items like found on non electric cars. No exhaust, conventional transmission, and a supporting cast of life support and pollution control equipment. Much less major expense items to go bad. 

31 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

They recently found out that the cause of the Hindenburg acccident was a compound used to make the highly reflective paint.  The compound, unbeknownst to them was later determined to be very similar to solid rocket fuel.  

:flush:

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My buddy is into the auto wholesale market. Often acting as a broker for dealers. He’s good at finding gems. He also has a small business of direct sales with two sons. He deals specifically with very high mileage units in his own resale business. 250,000 and 300,000 mile prius’ are common place. Original battery. The market for Tesla’s are smaller. He’s seen 200,000+ mile Tesla’s going strong. What they have going for them is a lack of major wear items like found on non electric cars. No exhaust, conventional transmission, and a supporting cast of life support and pollution control equipment. Much less major expense items to go bad. 

It is always the battery pack. My buddy bought a very early Honda insight. Honda was nice enough to replace the battery pack once but the second time around they said no. To be fair the car is 15 years old now? 

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

It is always the battery pack. My buddy bought a very early Honda insight. Honda was nice enough to replace the battery pack once but the second time around they said no. To be fair the car is 15 years old now? 

The two model S’s he dealt with were 200,000 units. Battery packs were slightly over 5% degradation which is inline with rates of other Tesla’s. 

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The two model S’s he dealt with were 200,000 units. Battery packs were slightly over 5% degradation which is inline with rates of other Tesla’s. 

I think the model 3 and the small SUV yet to be released will have enough numbers to justify and after market battery pack and that will change the dynamic. The electric motor and components should be able to go along way. Number of battery cycles is going to be more important than Miles on a pure EV.

Edited by Carlos Danger

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

I think the model 3 and the small SUV yet to be released will have enough numbers to justify and after market battery pack and that will change the dynamic. The electric motor and components should be able to go along way. Number of battery cycles is going to be more important than Miles on a pure EV.

EV is the future. Simplicity of design, cost effective, ease of assembly. Energy density of cells is going to improve over the next 5-10 years. Look at the improvements in ED, cost, and longevity since 1990. The graphed line is nearly vertical. 

59 minutes ago, Snake said:

Imagine the coal needed to be burned to power that thing......

Loss of Gasoline taxes will begin to raise the yearly license fees a lot for EV vehicles as road building and road repairs are paid for by those taxes..

6 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Loss of Gasoline taxes will begin to raise the yearly license fees a lot for EV vehicles as road building and road repairs are paid for by those taxes..

That’s only fair, but for now they should get a pass because it’s budding technology  

Edited by spin_dry

41 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Yup,the free ride is over.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

EV is the future. Simplicity of design, cost effective, ease of assembly. Energy density of cells is going to improve over the next 5-10 years. Look at the improvements in ED, cost, and longevity since 1990. The graphed line is nearly vertical. 

20 years from now I see it as a 50/50 proposition gas/electric. Electricity can be taxed for road use just like gas. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

20 years from now I see it as a 50/50 proposition gas/electric. Electricity can be taxed for road use just like gas. 

Car mfg see it like I do. And for good reason. EV’s are practical inventions.  Legislation will emerge where cars will be taxed a user fee based on miles driven. It’s only fair. 

30 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Car mfg see it like I do. And for good reason. EV’s are practical inventions.  Legislation will emerge where cars will be taxed a user fee based on miles driven. It’s only fair. 

I am not so sure about user fee road tax. I think as we move away from gasoline electrical service is going to end up with the tax load. 

5 hours ago, Mainecat said:

It’s says change not charge you fuckin morons.

My bad gramps...

You gonna heft out a 1200lb battery in your Tesla? And they’re not exactly accessible...