Check your account email address ×

Tesla despite quarterly sales record, they lost huge amounts of money for the quarter.

• Gold Member

They still had a $3750 tax credit for last quarter and still had major losses....  there credit is $1875 for the next 2 quarters.  There is no way this company will rival Ford or GM.  I can see them going under pretty soon.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-tanks-after-companys-larger-quarterly-loss-sales-miss-2019-07-24

17 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

They still had a $3750 tax credit for last quarter and still had major losses....  there credit is $1875 for the next 2 quarters.  There is no way this company will rival Ford or GM.  I can see them going under pretty soon.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-stock-tanks-after-companys-larger-quarterly-loss-sales-miss-2019-07-24

It’s a micro economic example of America as a whole. 

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’s a micro economic example of America as a whole. 

I think they are one of the few automakers that lost money this quarter and in their entire history have only a quarter or 2 of profit.  It is failed concept for the US market.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I think they are one of the few automakers that lost money this quarter and in their entire history have only a quarter or 2 of profit.  It is failed concept for the US market.

Yes, you’ve made it very clear that you want them to fail. 

• Gold Member

Tesla S’s are pretty sweet...  the model 3 are hideous.  Unlikely we will see a pickup, semi or their new SUV.  Tesla should focus on the luxury sedan market is all....  maybe develop a plugin hybrid that has a ICE as a range extender would definitely turn Tesla’s unfortunate financials around.

21 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Its unfortunate.  Price for what you get seems pretty decent. 

Infrastructure however is a severe limiting factor.

They have some really nice stuff but the Model 3 was built for the masses and I don't see it as better than the others.

38 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

They have some really nice stuff but the Model 3 was built for the masses and I don't see it as better than the others.

That’s what I see mostly around here. Looks cheap to me. 

Elon has said the model 3 is a turning point for Tesla.  Pretty much every car up until the model 3 has been a boutique car (expensive and not really accessible to the average buyer).  The model 3 is a make or break into the realm of a mass produced automobile. I think Tesla will continue to lose money just because of the massive jump it takes to get from a small auto company to a large one.  If the model 3 continues to sell like it is now I think they will be fine.  The next car is already been decided to be a small SUV and that car will probably sell twice as many units as the model 3. 

• Like 1

Musks refusal to update the S and X makes zero sense.  No real reason for people to upgrade and lets face the fact those who buy 80-100k cars like the show me factor of having the latest and greatest.  Those models while far smaller sales than the 3 have huge profit margins.  Euro automakers also make good  profits selling 3-4 year old ones to those trying to fake the image as well where Tesla does not do that.  I was looking at what they had for used model S's and theres more 5 and 7 series CPO on the BMW dealer lot down the road than on the east coast for Tesla. 

21 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Delorean never proved he could build cars, like him or hate him Teslas is selling as much as BMW 

Space program. Reusable rockets. It’s great how many people want to be smarter then Elon and how many aren’t as bright as his discarded foreskin. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Space program. Reusable rockets. It’s great how many people want to be smarter then Elon and how many aren’t as bright as his discarded foreskin. 

His space program is pretty amazing in what they accomplished, best thing he did there was not take it public.   I've never said he's not a visionary but he's held shit together by a shoe string and over promised and somehow has been able to get away with it.  The car company IMO is not worth more than one of the established car companies.  when they choose to ramp up they will take the low hanging fruit (including a lot of buyers that would look at the model 3) which is why i think Tesla needs to upgrade their top end cars to truly make it in the long run.  

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

His space program is pretty amazing in what they accomplished, best thing he did there was not take it public.   I've never said he's not a visionary but he's held shit together by a shoe string and over promised and somehow has been able to get away with it.  The car company IMO is not worth more than one of the established car companies.  when they choose to ramp up they will take the low hanging fruit (including a lot of buyers that would look at the model 3) which is why i think Tesla needs to upgrade their top end cars to truly make it in the long run.  

The new roadster looks promising.. :dunno:

29 minutes ago, Anler said:

The new roadster looks promising.. :dunno:

it may very well be that Halo niche car but why sell in 2020 the same model S you introduced in 2012 given the profit margins on those.  makes no sense.