Check your account email address ×

Sweetest sounding sleds of all time?

10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

IDK...the.Vipers dressed for SX a few years back sounded wicked as hell.  I mean, super cool.  Weren’t worth a fuck on the track though.  

Nytros

• Platinum Contributing Member
55 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

No, 4 strokes sound like tractors, I have yet to hear one that sounds good.

My '93 XLT had triple Decker pipes......man did that bitch sound good. Any 2 stroke triple triple FTW!!!!

Apex sounds like a tractor?

Sounds like a crotch rocket

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Apex sounds like a tractor?

Sounds like a crotch rocket

Meh

Now here is a sweet sounding sled, Steve Thorsen's 1978 World Champion RXL 440 Triple. If I could have one vintage sled it would be that one......drool. :ylsuper:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

IDK...the.Vipers dressed for SX a few years back sounded wicked as hell.  I mean, super cool.  Weren’t worth a fuck on the track though.  

And the engines liked to come apart at like 9400rpm too.  And they only ran the Vipers at Duluth to put some time on the sleds before the XC season started.  

Edited by racinfarmer

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

And the engines liked to come apart at like 9400rpm too.  And they only ran the Vipers at Duluth to put some time on the sleds before the XC season started.  

Oh, they had really, REALLY big expectations for that race.  The whole god damn Yami engineering dept was on site to get those things and stout as possible.  The beating was surprising.  4s just don’t have it for that shit.  We actually felt sorry for them.  Seriously.

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh, they had really, REALLY big expectations for that race.  The whole god damn Yami engineering dept was on site to get those things and stout as possible.  The beating was surprising.  4s just don’t have it for that shit.  We actually felt sorry for them.  Seriously.

They were putting time on XC and Soo sleds at Duluth and ERX that year.  

3 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

XLT w/stock exhaust.

I agree. My 93 sounded like it was piped but it wasn't. To me, this 95 sounds exactly like mine. I doubt it has triple pipes on it? Second place goes to the Yamaha Apex. My Vector sounds sweet but not as snotty as my 93 or the Apex.

2 minutes ago, irv said:

I agree. My 93 sounded like it was piped but it wasn't. To me, this 95 sounds exactly like mine. I doubt it has triple pipes on it? Second place goes to the Yamaha Apex. My Vector sounds sweet but not as snotty as my 93 or the Apex.

I ran triple piped Polaris's from 1982 to 1997. I always liked the sound of them with the stock exhaust. Then I like the power with the pipes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

I ran triple piped Polaris's from 1982 to 1997. I always liked the sound of them with the stock exhaust. Then I like the power with the pipes.

I also heard piping the XLTs took some serious skill as catastrophic failures were sure to follow if you didn't get jetting and the like spot on? I missed the 93 sound when I purchased my 95. It still sounded sweet but wasn't as loud nor as throaty as my 93.

9 minutes ago, irv said:

I also heard piping the XLTs took some serious skill as catastrophic failures were sure to follow if you didn't get jetting and the like spot on? I missed the 93 sound when I purchased my 95. It still sounded sweet but wasn't as loud nor as throaty as my 93.

It was easy when 2 of my best friends worked for Hot seat. LOL

Yeah, welding the crank was optimal and I had that done on my 94 and 95 XLT's. Strangely my 1996 XCR600 was fine and those were known crank eaters. Hell, a buddy had the crank break on his 96 going 40mph in Yellowstone. You just never know.

Edited by Big Crappie