Check your account email address ×

Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

After the tax cuts for the big guys and the big defense bill for defense contractors they're going to go after the little guy, I'd be lying if I said was surprised by this announcement.

Mitch McConnell Calls to Cut Social Security, Medicare

After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said of the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in year 2018. McConnell explained to Bloomberg that "it’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future." The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015.

New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease last year’s 1.5 percent. In year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.

Still, McConnell insisted that the change had nothing to do with a lack of revenue or increased spending and instead was due to entitlement and welfare programs. The debt, he said, was very “disturbing” and driven by “the three big entitlement programs that are very popular, Medicare, Social SecurityMedicaid...There’s been a bipartisan reluctance to tackle entitlement changes because of the popularity of those programs. Hopefully, at some point here, we’ll get serious about this.”

President Donald Trump promised to leave Medicare untouched on the campaign trail, but Republican leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have long indicated their desire to cut entitlement programs to pay for their tax cuts.

"You have got to generate economic growth because growth generates revenue,” Rubio said at a Politico conference late last year. "But you also have to bring spending under control. And not discretionary spending. That isn’t the driver of our debt. The driver of our debt is the structure of Social Security and Medicare for future beneficiaries."

“We're going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Speaker Ryan said on a conservative radio program around the same time.

Democrats, meanwhile, jumped on McConnell’s admission as proof that Republicans had long planned to cut entitlement spending to fund the tax cuts that largely benefit corporations and wealthy Americans. “The truth comes out! This was their deceptive plan all along,” said Representative Lois Frankel of Florida.

“When Republicans in Congress said their tax cuts to wealthy multinational corporations would pay for themselves, they lied,” wrote Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan on Twitter. “Now, they're going to try to come for hardworking people to foot the bill by slashing Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. We can't let them.”

A recent Pew poll found that the majority of both Democrats and Republicans thought the rising federal deficit and cost of healthcare were major problems facing the U.S.-- something that Democrats are taking note of and will try to package into their midterm campaign platforms over the next three weeks.

“Every Republican Senate candidate is on the hook for Mitch McConnell’s plan to cut Medicare and Social Security. it was jeopardizing pre-existing conditions coverage, then it was pursuing an age tax that would charge older Americans more for care, and now it’s targeting the benefits Americans have paid into,” wrote Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman David Bergstein in a statement. “This platform is disqualifying, and just like taking away coverage for pre-existing conditions, it's exactly what GOP candidates don't want to be talking about weeks before the election.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-calls-to-cut-social-security-medicare/ar-BBOtGyE

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Fuck Republicans 

I agree, especially when they call SS an entitlement, since when is SS an entitlement? The only way I can see it as an entitlement is if it's shady on the disability side.

Just now, snoughnut said:

I agree, especially when they call SS an entitlement, since when is SS an entitlement? The only way I can see it as an entitlement is if it's shady on the disability side.

I hope they lose the house 

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I agree, how can something that workers pay into be called an entitlement? 

• Like 2

• Gold Member

Social security and Medicare taxes on my pay stub didn’t change.  The government is still taking it at the same rate as they were before trump....  except on Social Security...  they are taking more overall this year.

my income tax witholdings which has nothing to do with SS or Medicare is what got cut by a good amount by trump.

dont confuse income tax cuts with payroll taxes, people.  Trump and republicans never cut those taxes....  obama was the only president to cut taxes for SS

Edited by BOHICA

27 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Social security and Medicare taxes on my pay stub didn’t change.  The government is still taking it at the same rate as they were before trump....  except on Social Security...  they are taking more overall this year.

my income tax witholdings which has nothing to do with SS or Medicare is what got cut by a good amount by trump.

dont confuse income tax cuts with payroll taxes, people.  Trump and republicans never cut those taxes....  obama was the only president to cut taxes for SS

We know the difference, ace...

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

SMH 

while Medicare and SS are our biggest expense and filled with waste to not attack MIC spending is ridiculous.  the vet benefits need to be included into the defense spending if we would not wage war that could drop

total_spending_pie,__2015_enacted.png

We have not waged war yet we are militarily engaged in countries who have not attacked us. 

• Gold Member
Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Really...don't think so.

Bottom line is in AG's chart that he posted the Orange and Blue slices are on there own tax line on pay stubs....  Everything else is funded through income tax.  We collect more income tax then is spent for everything outside the big blue and orange slices.  We don't collect enough SS and medicare taxes for expenditures.  Blue and orange slice has a dedicated individual tax that doesn't fund what it pays out.  Republicans are right that the benefits need to be reworked.

Also military spending needs to be cut....  Just close up shops around the world would free up 100's of Billions that could go towards more income tax cuts.

What a goddamn moron. SS and MC are going to cause some serious shakeup in the government in the near future. They've robbed from them for how many years and he wants to cut "benefits"? Political suicide. 

And no, I'm not talking about slinger and mainecat. lol

3 minutes ago, JEFF said:

What a goddamn moron. SS and MC are going to cause some serious shakeup in the government in the near future. They've robbed from them for how many years and he wants to cut "benefits"? Political suicide. 

And no, I'm not talking about slinger and mainecat. lol

They aren't going to cut benefits for seniors drawing now, it will be 10 years down the road. If they cut bennies now they would never win another election. I'm sure they are trying to find a way to buy off Democrats so they don't campaign on it. 

14 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

They aren't going to cut benefits for seniors drawing now, it will be 10 years down the road. If they cut bennies now they would never win another election. I'm sure they are trying to find a way to buy off Democrats so they don't campaign on it. 

Correct. But the mere talk of cuts is going to be wildly unpopular. Like Trump at a DNC event unpopular. 

• Gold Member

Just increase SS and medicare tax percentage on the employees and employers and it wipes out the federal budget deficit.

And/Or increase the retirement age before you can retire and collect SS.

That would easily solve the funding problems on these programs

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

You seem to be the one who is confused.

Trumps tax cuts have nothing to do with SS or medicare.  Those taxes weren't cut at all.  So off course something needs to change with those programs

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Just increase SS and medicare tax percentage on the employees and employers and it wipes out the federal budget deficit.

And/Or increase the retirement age before you can retire and collect SS.

That would easily solve the funding problems on these programs

Now you're making sense, but McConnell says fuck that make cuts to bennies.

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Clown