Check your account email address ×

Hurricane Micheal

14 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Another reason I dont care for Florida. Hurricanes

Just have to hurricane proof your shit, no big deal. Hurricanes are good, they wash away alot of the snowbirds and joos. It's nature's way!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Just have to hurricane proof your shit, no big deal. Hurricanes are good, they wash away alot of the snowbirds and joos. It's nature's way!

Exactly. I have 4 different friends that have bought retirement homes in Florida in the last 10 years. They spend 2 months every year worrying about hurricanes, often flying down and boarding their shit up.  

No thanks. The weather is just as good on the west coast. Lower humidity, fewer bugs, and no hurricanes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Exactly. I have 4 different friends that have bought retirement homes in Florida in the last 10 years. They spend 2 months every year worrying about hurricanes, often flying down and boarding their shit up.  

No thanks. The weather is just as good on the west coast. Lower humidity, fewer bugs, and no hurricanes. 

Yeah but liberals...

• Gold Member
23 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Ever been through one? I was on a 60ft schooner in Gloucester MA for hurricane Bob, I'll take an epic snow storm over a hurricane any day! Hurricanes suck!

Yes. Several. I grew up on the gulf coast of texas. As a kid we weathered several direct hits of Cat 3&4 hurricanes. Celia , Carla, Beulah. I was in middle of the eye for all 3 of those major hurricanes. 

It was sort of fun as a kid as you didnt really know how dangerous they were and how much it cost to repair the damage. 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yes. Several. I grew up on the gulf coast of texas. As a kid we weathered several direct hits of Cat 3&4 hurricanes. Celia , Carla, Beulah. I was in middle of the eye for all 3 of those major hurricanes. 

It was sort of fun as a kid as you didnt really know how dangerous they were and how much it cost to repair the damage. 

wow you mean to tell me that there were severe hurricanes before trump came along?

Amazing

• Platinum Contributing Member

Heard this morning that only 35-40% evacuate in mandatory evacuation zones.   Sadly I think a fear of looting  makes this much worse than it should.  

40 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The people I know who winter there just lease a really nice place for 3 months and not worry about it.

Just now, Mainecat said:

The people I know who winter there just lease a really nice place for 3 months and not worry about it.

Is 3 months long enough to be away from Mass?  No. Its not. 

Ive been to Florida lots of times. It just doesnt do it for me. I like to visit but more than a week is too much. 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Is 3 months long enough to be away from Mass?  No. Its not. 

Ive been to Florida lots of times. It just doesnt do it for me. I like to visit but more than a week is too much. 

Love the keys ....the everglades and daytona...new smyrna beach....was married on cocoa beach. :)

• Gold Member
45 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

When retirement happens for us we'll rent a place for a few months on the Space Coast or Ft Lauderdale area. 

My mom is a snowbird, she rents for 3-4 months amd has no concerns at all. She used to go to the Ft Lauderdale area but all her friends wemt to Kings Ridge in Cemtral Fla. She'd prefer the coast but having her friends was more important at her age.

Just now, Kivalo said:

My mom is a snowbird, she rents for 3-4 months amd has no concerns at all. She used to go to the Ft Lauderdale area but all her friends wemt to Kings Ridge in Cemtral Fla. She'd prefer the coast but having her friends was more important at her age.

We'll be doing the same thing. My wife's family are scattered between the Space  Coast and Ft Lauderdale. 

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I read a story about hurricane proof housing that are now being built. They can survive a direct hit from a cat 5 storm with zero damage. Wish I remembered where that story was. It was actually pretty cool. 

Have any of you actually been to Florida? Their building codes are centered around hurricane damage potential. many if not most of the waterfront properties have rolling steel shutters on the windows and doors. We have tornadoes here and they fuck up shit too, just nobody prepares for a tornado.