Check your account email address ×

As soybean futures plunge, farmer says tariffs have 'devastated' the industry

38 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

So how about for the specific government unit you live in. In my town it's 14 per square mile, on the 2 mile road I grew up on there's 6 full time residents. The next township and every other township for 100 miles north it's 0 people at all. :news:

You obviously don't have enough massholes. :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, GGNHL said:

So how about for the specific government unit you live in. In my town it's 14 per square mile, on the 2 mile road I grew up on there's 6 full time residents. The next township and every other township for 100 miles north it's 0 people at all. :news:

You obviously do not realize or comprehend the relative size difference between east coast states and Midwest/western states.  I grew up in a county with a population density of  7.8/square mile.  A county over was 4.3 and 2 counties over was .9.  We have a county with 6000 square miles and population density of 1.  That’s 1/6 the size of Maine.  So I grew up in an a rural area of a state with over 2 times the land mass of Maine and only 500,000 more people.  There are entire counties with less than 500 people.

6 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

You obviously do not realize or comprehend the relative size difference between east coast states and Midwest/western states.  I grew up in a county with a population density of  7.8/square mile.  A county over was 4.3 and 2 counties over was .9.  We have a county with 6000 square miles and population density of 1.  That’s 1/6 the size of Maine.  So I grew up in an a rural area of a state with over 2 times the land mass of Maine and only 500,000 more people.  There are entire counties with less than 500 people.

Yeah, and my county was 4.4 per square mile:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piscataquis_County,_Maine

I never said it was like Wyoming or some place like that, but I guarantee very few grew up in as rural out in the boonies area as me, maybe you Joel and Kneel. For the east coast we are the middle of no where. :bc:

1 hour ago, Kev144 said:

City folk trying to argue who is less city :lol: 

34 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I didn’t know how to jump in anywhere here.  And that is really saying something.  

:lol:

YOU TOO WANBA MEAT ME BEEHIND SANDY'S TUBE STEAK EMPORIUM TO GET RAG-DOLLED?!?!?!?!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GGNHL said:

That’s a lot of people imo 

On 8/12/2018 at 1:57 PM, racinfarmer said:

Due to not renewing leases, we are down to around 9,300 acres that we farm.  Been farming for 150 years where we are now, add another 15 or 20 since my family came to America and farmed in another state.

He must have one of the New Holland version of the Quadtracs.  Those are nice machines, but they are all nice these days.  

Keeping a business in the family for 150 years is amazing. Through the depression, recessions and skyrocketing interest rates. Got to hand it to you and your family. Arctic beta would call it negative growth but he is a bit of a dumbass when it comes to family businesses. 

30 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Keeping a business in the family for 150 years is amazing. Through the depression, recessions and skyrocketing interest rates. Got to hand it to you and your family. Arctic beta would call it negative growth but he is a bit of a dumbass when it comes to family businesses. 

Perhaps you can give them some pointers.

4 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

I'm certain it hasn't been easy and to me, the hard part can be getting everyone with a share/say it it to move in one decisive and cohesive direction.  

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'm certain it hasn't been easy and to me, the hard part can be getting everyone with a share/say it it to move in one decisive and cohesive direction.  

I can imagine once you are dealing with multiple cousins, it's fucked.  Buddy of mine runs a dairy operation with his brother that is valued at 7 million. He has two kids and his brother has two.  Only one is interested in farming.  How do you make that shit fair?

We had other friends that all had shares. They all had their professions and all tried to help out on the farm.  I can imagine what the full time cousin doing the farming must have thought of the part time help. 

18 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

I can imagine once you are dealing with multiple cousins, it's fucked.  Buddy of mine runs a dairy operation with his brother that is valued at 7 million. He has two kids and his brother has two.  Only one is interested in farming.  How do you make that shit fair?

We had other friends that all had shares. They all had their professions and all tried to help out on the farm.  I can imagine what the full time cousin doing the farming must have thought of the part time help. 

You either liquidate and divide up what is left evenly, give the one(s) still farming the most and do what you can for the remainder, or set it up to prevent the most fighting. 

Long story short is if the kids start fighting, no matter what happens, there will be hard feelings.  I've seen it plenty and hope we don't fall victim to it too.  

26 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

What do you do when there are 4 active family members in a business all being pulled forward by one?  

25 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You either liquidate and divide up what is left evenly, give the one(s) still farming the most and do what you can for the remainder, or set it up to prevent the most fighting. 

Long story short is if the kids start fighting, no matter what happens, there will be hard feelings.  I've seen it plenty and hope we don't fall victim to it too.  

That's why it's so impressive that you have 150 years of handing it down generation to generation. 

It's one thing to get along when everyone is getting a paycheque. It must have been terrible when interest rates were in the mid teens. 

22 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What do you do when there are 4 active family members in a business all being pulled forward by one?  

Shhh. the adults are talking.  I'm giving you enough attention in the other thread. run along arctic beta. 

31 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No matter what, you aren't going to walk away without hard feelings.  

Liquidation and the working one starting over or the working one getting bought out by the other 3 and starting over would be a couple ways.  

12 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I’m surprised you haven’t told reconfarmer that his business is negative growth. In obviously doesn’t have an average growth of 10% per year. 

I’d be interested to see how that metric applies to his family business.  

Personally I think they’ve done an amazing job of defying the odds for any business. 

13 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

12 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

We have consultants that help out with estate planning and generational transfers here. A lot of times the parents decide to just give the one most interested in actually farm the majority ownership of everything especially if the other kids find off farm employment. The other kids tend to be pretty butthurt over it, but usually the idea is the cash assets and retirement funds will go to those kids (assuming any is left) when the parents pass.

I have seen pretty bad scenarios though that cause farms to have to sell out cause no one can agree or it gets dragged through 6 years of litigation because the parents generation didn't have any sort of will at all...