Check your account email address ×

HOW TO DESTROY A MAJOR CITY: One Week After Passing Massive Head Tax, Seattle Democrats Consider Huge Property Tax Increase

• Platinum Contributing Member

One week after passing a head tax on major businesses located in Seattle, including Amazon, Microsoft and Starbucks, the Seattle City Council is now considering an enormous property tax on the people who work at those businesses. According to Q13 FOX, King County homeowners already saw a bump of 17% in their property taxes in 2017, but City Council members want property taxes increased even more:

Council members Lorena Gonzalez and Rob Johnson are sponsoring the measure, which states the council wants to lift the limit on regular property taxes in order to levy additional taxes. … In 2014, Seattle voters approved a $58 million levy allowing low-income kids to go to preschool for free. Since 2015, the city says the program has allowed affordable or free preschool to 850 families. Now the city wants to send hundreds more to preschool. Mayor Jenny Durkan’s Office is also pushing to send high school graduates to community college for free.

I understand wanting to further education opportunities for the poor but at what point does it stop...at what point do taxes become unreasonable? 

why do poor kids need free preschool

mom is sitting at home any way send them a few books to read to the kid if it is to much effort to go to the fucking library.

guess they forgot about boeing already 

Seattle deserves everything it has coming 

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

mom is sitting at home any way send them a few books to read to the kid it it is to much effort to go to the fucking library. 

What does it have coming?

21 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

mom is sitting at home any way send them a few books to read to the kid it it is to much effort to go to the fucking library.guess the forgot about boeing already 

You are a shortsighted miserable dumbfuck.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

You are a shortsighted miserable dumbfuck.

yeah ok .

preschools is not the answer to bring america back to even the top 20  in test scores . it starts at home always has always will.

as far a the rest the corporations will not stick around for a ass fucking to long . jobs go residents go but yeah stick with the more tax is a good thing   

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

yeah ok .

preschools is not the answer to bring america back to even the top 20  in test scores . it starts at home always has always will.

as far a the rest the corporations will not stick around for a ass fucking to long . jobs go residents go but yeah stick with the more tax is a good thing   

How do you know what the answer is and what is wrong with giving kids a better shot by sending them to preschool?  

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I understand wanting to further education opportunities for the poor but at what point does it stop...at what point do taxes become unreasonable? 

Maybe we can send them the new St. Paul mayor so he can pitch his $50 college savings plan.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_City_Council

It's certainly interesting to watch how Seattle is handling themselves from Min wage to homeless.  It's easy to find success and failure editorials for all of it. IMO, their plan is heading toward failure.  Property values are being linked to white collar incomes.  Manu is leaving and so are smaller paying outfits.  Affordable housing is following suit.  Not sure how they think they are going to make this a success story...unless the plan is to drive out all the lower wage people.  And even then...that's a fail. 

It's also my opinion that the articles I am reading lauding their social liberal efforts out there are seriously flawed.  SEE:  MMGW theory writers.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Population decrease.  Erosion of the tax base.  Rise of entitlements.  Homelessness.

45 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Detroit . :bc:

As if Vince really didn't know the answer to his own question, SMH. Crazy how liberals don't know how to solve problems, they only know how to create more problems via excessive taxation. I honestly don't know how the Democrat party can even survive any more, dumb fucks.

Look I think some of these taxes are ridiculous and punitive but I think it behooves us as society to help poor children attend preschool.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Look I think some of these taxes are ridiculous and punitive but I think it behooves us as society to help poor children attend preschool.

Fact is, children that enter Kindergarten that had Pre-school do much better and advance faster than ones that do not.  It's an unfair advantage for the children whose parents can afford to send them vs. the ones that cannot.  Why punish the less advantaged children even more when they are already starting off in the "without" column? 

Many states pay for Pre-k programs through adoptive taxes and revenues.  Lot's of states pay with lottery or cig/alcohol taxes.  It's a good idea.  I guess it depends on where the state/city plans to draw the money.  A broad tax that is set up for government abuse to do it...hmmmm...I'd say no.  But a tax on gambling/cigs/beer or any other "throw my money away" items, well....absolutely.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Fact is, children that enter Kindergarten that had Pre-school do much better and advance faster than ones that do not.  It's an unfair advantage for the children whose parents can afford to send them vs. the ones that cannot.  Why punish the less advantaged children even more when they are already starting off in the "without" column? 

Many states pay for Pre-k programs through adoptive taxes and revenues.  Lot's of states pay with lottery or cig/alcohol taxes.  It's a good idea.  I guess it depends on where the state/city plans to draw the money.  A broad tax that is set up for government abuse to do it...hmmmm...I'd say no.  But a tax on gambling/cigs/beer or any other "throw my money away" items, well....absolutely.

BINGO

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Population decrease.  Erosion of the tax base.  Rise of entitlements.  Homelessness.

Homelessness is primarily an issue of mental illness, drug use or a combination of both. Seattle is a town that has enjoyed much economic prosperity and with that comes the gentrification that reclaims blighted areas.

I'm of the conservative mindset that says let local government handle there local issues, and quite frankly that's what Seattle is doing. I don't think Seattle has any worries about its economic demise, and with that please let me know when it does implode :bc:

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

The problem is that studies have shown that advantage 100 % disappears by 4th grade. And from 4th grade on those who went to pre school don't perform any better then those that did not.

My mistake , 3rd grade

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/early_years/2012/12/head_start_advantages_mostly_gone_by_third_grade_study_finds.html