Check your account email address ×

Stocks tumble as Trump's tweets rock Amazon again

This tweeting sonofabitch is tanking the market, starting trade wars..... @DriftBusta what are you telling your clientele?

Stocks tumble as Trump's tweets rock Amazon again

Stocks fell sharply on the first trading day of the month and the quarter as a decline in Amazon shares put pressure on the broader tech sector Monday.

The Dow traded 730 points lower, with Intel as the worst-performing stock in the index. The S&P 500 pulled back 3.2 percent and entered correction territory, with tech falling more than 3 percent. The index also dropped below its 200-day moving average, a key technical level. The Nasdaq dropped 3.6 percent, also entering a correction, as Amazon declined 5.4 percent. 

"The market leaders are under pressure," said Marc Chaikin, the CEO of Chaikin Analytics. "It's a situation where the proven winners for the past few years are faltering." When that happens, "there is a negative psychological sense in the market."

The e-commerce giant's stock after President Donald Trump tweeted on Saturday that Amazon was scamming the U.S. Postal Service, adding the service loses "billions of dollars" delivering packages for the e-commerce giant.

Amazon has been one of the best-performing stocks over the past year, rising nearly 64 percent in that time period. Trump tweeted again about Amazon on Monday, saying: "Only fools, or worse, are saying that our money losing Post Office makes money with Amazon. THEY LOSE A FORTUNE, and this will be changed."

Tech shares continued to be under pressure Monday, with shares of Facebook, Netflix and Alphabet all trading lower. Last month, concerns over how Facebook handles data collected from its users sent the entire sector lower. Facebook dropped 10.4 percent in March.

Snap's stock also fell 7.3 percent Monday after MoffettNathanson reiterated its sell rating, noting it found students were "uniformly disapproving" of the company's app redesign.

Traders also fretted over the possibility that a trade war may be brewing.

China announced overnight Monday it had implemented tariffs on 128 types of U.S. imports. The goods hit with the charges the list of products proposed by Beijing in March and comes as a direct response to President Donald Trump signing off on tariffs on imported steel and aluminum last month. China said in March that those goods had an import value of $3 billion in 2017.

Trade worries also remained after Trump linked his proposal to build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico to ongoing NAFTA negotiations between the two countries. In a tweet Sunday, Trump said: "They must stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow, NAFTA. NEED WALL!"

"The new bearish narrative is that tariffs implemented by the Trump administration will spur a global trade war that would spiral the world into a recession," said Nick Raich, CEO of The Earnings Scout. "We understand the fear. We get how bad a global trade war would be on future profits."

However, "despite fears of a global trade war, guidance among the early reporting companies are taking earnings growth expectations higher," said Raich, noting companies are getting a substantial boost from lower corporate taxes.

Also weighing on investor sentiment Monday was a decline in Amazon. The e-commerce giant's stock fell 2 percent after Trump tweeted on Saturday that Amazon was scamming the U.S. Postal Service, adding the service loses "billions of dollars" delivering packages for the e-commerce giant.

Amazon has been one of the best-performing stocks over the past year, rising nearly 64 percent in that time period.

Tech shares continued to be under pressure on Monday, with shares of Facebook, Netflix and Alphabet all trading lower. Last month, concerns over how Facebook handles data collected from its users sent the entire sector lower. Facebook dropped 10.4 percent in March.

Elsewhere in corporate news, Humana shares jumped 6 percent following reports that Walmart was interested in acquiring the health insurer.

Though discussions remain in early stages, sources confirmed to CNBC that Walmart is interested in strengthening its existing relationship with Humana amid a rush of deal speculation in the industry.

CNBC's Cheang Ming contributed to this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/stocks-tumble-as-trumps-tweets-rock-amazon-again/ar-AAvmJEI

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

This tweeting sonofabitch is tanking the market, starting trade wars..... @DriftBusta what are you telling your clientele?

He's crying and blaming someone else. He won't have any clients if this continues.

#winning becomes #whining pretty fast when you're stupid.

3 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It’s fucking moronic. Don’t worry Vince, the crew will be along to defend everything they are against if anyone else did it. Govt intervention in the free markets. Fucking crazy. What an idiot. I can’t even begin to fathom the foaming mouths if Obama did this. 

No shit, right? Fuck my Amazon stock was up Yuge too. 

14 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

8 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

He's crying and blaming someone else. He won't have any clients if this continues.

2 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

The govt has singlehandedly stabbed tech in the back the past month with their bullshit witch hunts. This is despicable. Where are the fiscal conservatives? 

Hillary didn't win you stupid libruls!!!

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Lol is someone sitting on a short position telling Trump to fist fuck Amazon? This is unreal...

Why is he calling out Amazon? Wtf?

We should just ignore these issues (trade imbalance, Amazon getting to be a monopoly) and I’m sure they’ll just go away! :lol: 

19 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Trump is an idiot. That said, if will just drop a little more I can jump back in...........

go Trump go. 

That is a good point... hahaha because their earnings are going to be uugge!

11 minutes ago, DISABLED DAVE said:

Washington post.

And that is the problem. This third world strongman bullshit is beyond ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

:lol: that'll show Trump!

It sure will. :lol:  

Most of the nice RV parks we frequent have mail rooms. As long as you are there or have a future reservation there they will accept mail for you. Even large parcels from Amazon.  We use this perk all the time. Its very convenient. 

Amazon is awesome.  

36 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Seriously you don’t have a fucking clue what I’m doing.  Am I happy Amazon and Tech in general are taking it in the shorts?  No, I just bought a bunch of Amazon a month ago.  It’s still rated a buy and has outperformed most any equity out there.  10 years ago it traded for around 30 bucks.  It still trades right now at almost 1400.  Let’s try not and lose your shit ok?  I know you’re wishing for everyone to fail, that’s a very poor personal trait.

33 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

It’s fucking moronic. Don’t worry Vince, the crew will be along to defend everything they are against if anyone else did it. Govt intervention in the free markets. Fucking crazy. What an idiot. I can’t even begin to fathom the foaming mouths if Obama did this. 

O really?  My ox is getting gored here and I’m not all that happy about the stock price, but at the same time, Trump IS rightfully calling out some of their practices,  and his ownership of the Washington Post certainly does muddy up that issue.

13 minutes ago, Edmo said:

We should just ignore these issues (trade imbalance, Amazon getting to be a monopoly) and I’m sure they’ll just go away! :lol: 

I’d love to hear their comments.  Seriously. XLT? RevKev?

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

ya think?

wonder what happened with the crime of a potus picking and choosing businesses or industries... :news:

13 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Amazon pays fractional what they should in taxes as do a lot of their customers, Trump is aiming to change that and it will mean billions of tax revenue to government :) 

:lol:

suddenly momo becomes a tax chaser worried about tax revenue. what happened to the "it's their money" or "think of the jobs amazon is producing"?

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

:lol:

suddenly momo becomes a tax chaser worried about tax revenue. what happened to the "it's their money" or "think of the jobs amazon is producing"?

You're a shit for brains you walk into any store and buy something the government collects all kinds of taxes, you order somthing from Amazon who has a better price cuz of no overhead the government gets almost no tax. And the post office doesn't even cover its costs delivering so more tax dollars subsidising Amazon. How is that fair to the other businesses you fucking imbicile :finger2:  

41 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Trump IS rightfully calling out some of their practices,  and his ownership of the Washington Post certainly does muddy up that issue.

I’d love to hear their comments.  Seriously. XLT? RevKev?

Which ones are those, specifically?

31 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Amazon pays fractional what they should in taxes as do a lot of their customers, Trump is aiming to change that and it will mean billions of tax revenue to government :) 

Amazon follows the law. Remember what Republicans always say, "do you know anyone that pays more taxes than they're required to?"

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

Which ones are those, specifically?

Amazon follows the law. Remember what Republicans always say, "do you know anyone that pays more taxes than they're required to?"

Laws going to be changing :)