Check your account email address ×

Groomer rollover

2 hours ago, ckf said:

What you don't want to happen when out doing a run in the groomer. A local club here in VT had a groomer rollover when it slipped on an icy trail.

What kind of tracks? Tracks have no side bite in icy conditions, especially steel or steel cleated.  

You want to see a D8T fuck off on the ice. No control.  Just like on skates.

1 minute ago, awful knawful said:

What kind of tracks? Tracks have no side bite in icy conditions, especially steel or steel cleated.  

You want to see a D8T fuck off on the ice. No control.  Just like on skates.

That's a Tucker Terra with rubber tracks. The old steel tracked Tucker our club used to have had ice picks in the cleats.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, ckf said:

They sent it to the dealer to get an estimate.

that's lower case ckf, F7Ben!!!!!1!!!!111 :lol:

I operated a groomer for about 10 years when I was living in NH. The Tucker was OK, but I preferred the Prinoth Husky. I really should get involved with the local club because I do miss grooming. But I don't miss the club politics. 

Did you need a license? I sent an email to the hollis club offering to groom and they asked if I had a license? Never even heard of such a thing. And they only groom with a tracked Kubota side by side and a 5ft drag.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Did you need a license? I sent an email to the hollis club offering to groom and they asked if I had a license? Never even heard of such a thing. And they only groom with a tracked Kubota side by side and a 5ft drag.

You need to take a groomer awareness course. Basically you watch a video and take a simple test at the end. It used to be a course without a test at the Trailmasters meeting in November.

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Most if not all clubs here in MI require you to have a current drivers license with a clean record for five years, insurance liability reasons. I'm aware of two of well seasoned , respected  club members that have no license, but they sure know the trails and the groomer operation very well, plus the personal year round time they invest into the clubs.  :thumbsup:

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

Most if not all clubs here in MI require you to have a current drivers license with a clean record for five years, insurance liability reasons. I'm aware of two of well seasoned , respected  club members that have no license, but they sure know the trails and the groomer operation very well, plus the personal year round time they invest into the clubs.  :thumbsup:

I took the course for NY several years back. never did get to drive tho. Someday I will.  :bc:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ckf said:

Yup. We had a good group for the most part. But every once in a while a member would get involved that caused trouble. One guy had a beef with a neighboring club and tried to get a turf war going. Another time it was an operator that was hard on the groomers. After he was removed he did everything he could to cause trouble for the club.

not everyone can be as easy going as i was

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Pitch. +2 rotary's, I wouldn't want to see that bill. Hopefully they are friends of the club?

They probably are friends of the club. Several of the board members own a very large construction company in town.

Several years ago I had to take the clubs Tucker 1000 up to Mt Shaw in the Ossipee Range to pull out the States Tucker 2000. Josh got offline on one of the switchbacks and went over the edge. I couldn't make one of the hills on the way up even with the air lockers engaged on all 4 tracks. I had to backup and drop the drag. By the time I got there he had already broken the winch cable on his Tucker trying to get himself out. We ended up jerry rigging his cable and between his winch and the one one the 1000 that I was in we were able to get him out.

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

not everyone can be as easy going as i was

You were a TREMENDOUS VICE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!!1  I'm sure you know the two people I referenced above. McFly!!!!!!!!!1111 LOL

I really miss those days. We had a lot of fun. I even had fun with McFly until his obsession with SOS got old :bc: 

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

They probably are friends of the club. Several of the board members own a very large construction company in town.

Several years ago I had to take the clubs Tucker 1000 up to Mt Shaw in the Ossipee Range to pull out the States Tucker 2000. Josh got offline on one of the switchbacks and went over the edge. I couldn't make one of the hills on the way up even with the air lockers engaged on all 4 tracks. I had to backup and drop the drag. By the time I got there he had already broken the winch cable on his Tucker trying to get himself out. We ended up jerry rigging his cable and between his winch and the one one the 1000 that I was in we were able to get him out.

Neighbors helping neighbors! :saluting:

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

What did they teach you about attached trailered items?

Not much actually. It was mostly about the trails and not much about the operation of the groomers themselves. I was kinda surprised.

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Not much actually. It was mostly about the trails and not much about the operation of the groomers themselves. I was kinda surprised.

it's not required here in NY but encouraged to take course but as long as you don;t do something stupid grooming is pretty un-eventful give it a try if you can

14 hours ago, ckf said:

They sent it to the dealer to get an estimate.

that's lower case ckf, F7Ben!!!!!1!!!!111 :lol:

I operated a groomer for about 10 years when I was living in NH. The Tucker was OK, but I preferred the Prinoth Husky. I really should get involved with the local club because I do miss grooming. But I don't miss the club politics. 

I prefer the twin trackers to the Tuckers, i;m not really impressed with our Tucker which is why I keep the little Bell in my area

14 hours ago, Wildboer said:

No offense, but you're not exactly the first person I'd go to for advice on how to NOT roll a vehicle over :lol: 

Ben is highly qualified in vehicle roll overs. 

4 hours ago, Nazipigdog said:

Ben is highly qualified in vehicle roll overs. 

Oh I know, he's used to vehicles with a low center of gravity too. Rolling a groomer should be a piece of cake for him :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kivalo said:

I took the course for NY several years back. never did get to drive tho. Someday I will.  :bc:

ditto, but i got to drive several times as part of the training. with the little bit of snow thereafter, and a few seasoned drivers already existing, my buddy and i never got opportunities to drive solo. 

• Like 3