Check your account email address ×

Grounds for impeachment if Trump lied about trying to fire Mueller – Ken Starr

Says the man that took it to Bill Clinton.

Grounds for impeachment if Trump lied about trying to fire Mueller – Ken Starr

If Donald Trump lied to the American people when he called reports he tried to fire Robert Mueller “fake news”, that would be grounds for impeachment, the independent counsel who investigated the Clinton White House said on Sunday.

Related: Donald Trump denies report he tried to fire Robert Mueller in June

Ken Starr, who used Bill Clinton’s false statements about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky as grounds for impeachment, told ABC’s This Week: “Lying to the American people is a serious issue that has to be explored. I take lying to the American people very, very seriously, so absolutely.”

Starr said: “That is something Bob Mueller should look at.”

Mueller, the special counsel, is investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election, including alleged collusion between Russian officials and Trump aides, and numerous instances of possible obstruction of justice by the president.

The New York Times and others reported this week that in June 2016, Trump ordered White House counsel Donald McGahn to fire Mueller. McGahn reportedly said he would resign rather than carry our the order, which he said would have a devastating effect on Trump’s presidency.

Trump publicly dismissed the Times report, calling it “fake news”. Since June, the president has repeatedly denied publicly that he was considering firing Mueller. White House officials have also repeatedly claimed the president has not discussed firing him.

Kellyanne Conway told ABC in August: “He’s not discussed firing Bob Mueller.” Trump’s chief counsel, John Dowd, told USA Today the same month: “That’s never been on the table, never. It’s a manifestation of the media.”

Trump told reporters at the same time: “I haven’t given it any thought.” He added: “Well, I’ve been reading about it from you people. You say, ‘Oh, I’m going to dismiss him.’ No, I’m not dismissing anybody.”

Some Republicans said on Sunday that reports Trump had to be talked down from firing Mueller were a serious concern and should prompt congressional action.

Attempting to fire Mueller would mean “the end of [Trump’s] presidency,” the South Carolina senator Lindsay Graham, a sponsor of potential legislation, said on ABC.

“It’s pretty clear to me that everybody in the White House knows that it’d be the end of President Trump’s presidency if he fired Mr Mueller,” Graham said.

Graham also said: “I see no evidence that President Trump wants to fire Mr Mueller now.”

Susan Collins told CNN’s State of the Union it “probably wouldn’t hurt” for Congress to pass a law protecting Mueller.

Other senior party figures downplayed the reports. House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy sought to highlight concerns on the right about alleged political bias among law enforcement officials and agencies investigating Russia and the president’s aides.

He told NBC’s Meet the Press: “I don’t think there’s a need for legislation right now to protect Mueller.”

Asked if there was “a red line the president could cross with you” regarding the special counsel, McCarthy said the question was unfair.

“The president and his team have fully cooperated,” he said. “You’re making hypotheticals.”

McCarthy did not directly answer questions about whether he was concerned about reports Trump had wanted to fire Mueller in June. He had confidence in Mueller, he said, but had “questions about others within the FBI and [Department of Justice]”.

Asked if he believed there was some kind of “deep state that’s out to get the president”, as some on the right claim, McCarthy said he had never believed that but said some recent reports about the FBI would “give anybody doubt”.

“You’re painting a conspiracy,” host Chuck Todd said.

“I think the public has the right to know,” McCarthy answered.

Related: The right's not-so-secret effort to discredit Trump-Russia inquiry

Collins, a leading Republican moderate, told CNN: “It probably wouldn’t hurt for us to pass one of those bills [to protect Mueller from being fired].

“There are some constitutional issues with those bills. but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to put that extra safeguards in place given the latest stories.”

Collins said she had confidence in deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, who is overseeing the Russia investigation after Jeff Sessions recused himself because of his failure to disclose his own contacts with Russian officials during the presidential campaign.

Rosenstein appointed Mueller after Trump fired FBI director James Comey last May. He has reportedly been the focus of Trump’s ire in recent days.

White House legislative affairs director Marc Short appeared on Fox News Sunday. Asked if Trump would sign a bill that would make it more difficult or even impossible for Mueller to be fired, he said: “I don’t know, hypothetically.”

Trump insisted this week he was “looking forward” to being interviewed soon by Mueller.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/grounds-for-impeachment-if-trump-lied-about-trying-to-fire-mueller-–-ken-starr/ar-BBIluVr

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Seriously tired of all this bullshit......if they have any evidence on Trump its time to get it out there

And compromise their case in the process? Have some patience Ben, the more time they take to nail it down the more satisfying the conclusion will be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wildboer said:

And compromise their case in the process? Have some patience Ben, the more time they take to nail it down the more satisfying the conclusion will be.

And if Trump actually did commit some serious crime he gets to continue to mold the country in his image in the meantime????? Fuck that.....out with the evidence 

Just now, f7ben said:

And if Trump actually did commit some serious crime he gets to continue to mold the country in his image in the meantime????? Fuck that.....out with the evidence 

He's a bumbling idiot who barely gets anything done. Just laugh it off as a  divine comedy. Besides, America is a shithole, we deserve a clown like Trump.

Just now, Wildboer said:

He's a bumbling idiot who barely gets anything done. Just laugh it off as a  divine comedy. Besides, America is a shithole, we deserve a clown like Trump.

I'm only interested in justice and truth and I have serious doubts that is what this special counsel is concerned with. 

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Seriously tired of all this bullshit......if they have any evidence on Trump its time to get it out there

Agreed.  But we all know why nothing is getting “out there”.  It’s just one shifting imaginary talking point to the other for the Dems and blown up by their media.  That’s all.

4 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

“Patience”.

:lol:

There is nothing there.  Nothing with any “meat” anyway (illegal).

And how in the fuck do you “try” and fire somebody if you are the boss?  It’s his right...and is written so.  Personally, I believe he should have fired him.  

Just now, spin_dry said:

Still very much at the beginning of this investigation. 

great....then we can wait another 2-3 5 years for them to come up with some bullshit....long after the Trump presidency will be over and his work will be done. Not that it matters 

Just now, f7ben said:

great....then we can wait another 2-3 5 years for them to come up with some bullshit....long after the Trump presidency will be over and his work will be done. Not that it matters 

look how long it took to investigate a stain on a dress. 

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Supreme Court justice appointed, pipeline across the Missouri River, keystone approved, anwr open to oil exploring, all coastal waters besides Florida open up, individual mandate for obama care dead, tax cuts up the wazoo for individuals and corps, shrunk national monument foot prints, Jerusalem, golfed 700rds in the first year, huge immigration crack down etc etc etc.  you must not pay attention well as it is almost daily the libs come here pissed off and consumed by what the pres did, does.  Their are 100’s of thousands of democrats across the country that are only held together and don’t off themselves because of copious amounts of anti-medicines, cause of what President has accomplished.

Edited by BOHICA

Just now, spin_dry said:

look how long it took to investigate a stain on a dress. 

we arent talking about sexual impropriety here....these pieces of shit accuse Trump of colluding with a foreign power. Either he did or he didnt ...its been a fucking year

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Obstruction. 

I dont see it......and the grounds for appointing a special counsel were collusion ......not Obstruction. They'll keep shifting the goal posts until they come up with something to justify the wasted time and money 

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Really...so tell me how his bumbling presidency has negatively impacted your conflicted life?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I dont see it......and the grounds for appointing a special counsel were collusion ......not Obstruction. They'll keep shifting the goal posts until they come up with something to justify the wasted time and money 

Same happened with Clinton. You could still buy 5 mueller investigations for one refrigerator. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s not only that but every shred of a crumb trail they try to follow ends up with the 4th amendment being shredded at the feet of the Obama Administration.  There is ZERO DOUBT about that.  Rice will squeal when pinched.

25 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s well it’s well worth it to see republicans pissed off. Plus that, trump is guilty as shit. 

Just now, Zambroski said:

It’s not only that but every shred of a crumb trail they try to follow ends up with the 4th amendment being shredded at the feet of the Obama Administration.  There is ZERO DOUBT about that.  Rice will squeal when pinched.

So you have all the evidence? Quite a guy you are. Must have great connections. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

It’s well it’s well worth it to see republicans pissed off. Plus that, trump is guilty as shit. 

I don’t see the R’s pissed at all.  Know what else I don’t see?  The Dems using this distraction and deflection wise enough to come up with a message and a plan to get back in the game.  That’s pretty amazing.

I just read Bernie is thinkin’ about stuff for 2020 though.  Dems are shitting their pants too. :lol: