Check your account email address ×

Moulton: Trump owes Gold Star family apology

Moulton: Trump owes Gold Star family apology

By Melissa Hanson, mhanson@lowellsun.com
Updated:   08/03/2016 10:10:23 AM EDT

Rep. Moulton
Rep. Moulton

U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton along with an Epping, N.H., military mother and two Granite State military veterans, called for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to apologize to the Gold Star family he verbally attacked over the weekend following an emotional speech at the Democratic National Convention.

The four spoke by a conference call organized by the Hillary Clinton campaign on Tuesday morning in response to Trump's comments regarding the speech Khizr Khan gave at the DNC about his son, Army Capt. Humayun Khan, a Muslim American known as a war hero after being killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq in 2004. Khizr Khan in his speech suggested that Trump had sacrificed nothing. The Republican candidate fired off a response to the grieving parents, questioning why Ghazala Khan did not speak about her son during the convention.

"As a vet, I can't imagine what it would be like if Trump treated my mother that way," said Moulton, who served four tours in Iraq as a Marine Corps infantry officer. He said he "would never want to serve on the front lines in combat" under someone like Trump.

Moulton, a Democrat who represents the 6th District, including the towns of Bedford, Billerica, Burlington, Tewksbury and Wilmington, called for an apology from Trump. So did Jim Steiner, a retired Green Beret officer and a Republican; John Hutson, retired rear admiral and former dean of the University of New Hampshire Law School; and Christine Vallone, of Epping, whose son Danny was deployed to Afghanistan in 2010 and returned safely.

"You don't attack or insult a gold star family," said Steiner. "If anything, the Khans and families like them deserve our utmost respect."

Steiner said Trump's comments toward the Khan family demonstrated his lack of ability to act as commander in chief.

The view was shared by Hutson.

"He is completely unreliable, and in my opinion, Donald Trump just being a candidate undermines our national security," he said. "He would not only be a disaster as president and commander in chief, we would be in peril."

Moulton agreed, noting that the terror group known as the Islamic State has been documented using Trump's words to recruit members. The congressman said he did not think the candidate had the judgment or temperament to serve as commander in chief.

"I think about the kind of character I want in someone to lead the United States and I don't see that character in him," said Vallone. "It changes your life when your children are deployed, you're on pins and needles. I want somehow for him to understand that more."

Clinton, the Democratic nominee, had the support of those on the call.

"She believes we are stronger when we work with our allies," Moulton said. "She's exactly the kind of leader we need."

During the Republican National Convention, Patricia Smith spoke about her son, Sean, an employee of the U.S. Foreign Service who was killed during the attack on diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. Smith placed the blame for her son's death on Clinton.

Moulton during the conference call said he did not hear Smith's speech and that he had no comment to make about it.

Spokeswoman Carrie Rankin said Moulton was in Afghanistan and Iraq during on a House Armed Services Committee fact-finding mission during the RNC and was not able to closely follow it.

Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.

:lmao:this is what DemonCUNTs call an insult

"I saw him. He was very emotional, and probably looked like a nice guy to me. His wife, if you look at his wife she was standing there, she had nothing to say. Probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say, you tell me, but plenty of people have written that. She was extremely quiet and it looked like she had nothing to say, a lot of people have said that, and personally I watched him, I wish him the best of luck."

• 5 years later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member
On 8/4/2016 at 12:45 PM, Mainecat said:

Swing and a miss dumb ass

I know how concerned you have been in the past about the treatment of Gold Star families, Man did your guy Biden really disrespect these folks..How fucking rude can he be?? Repeatedly checking his watch right in front of them??

Fathers of Marines killed in Kabul blast rip Biden: 'He talked more about his son than my son'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gold-star-fathers-marines-killed-kabul-biden

12 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I know how concerned you have been in the past about the treatment of Gold Star families, Man did your guy Biden really disrespect these folks..How fucking rude can he be?? Repeatedly checking his watch right in front of them??

Fathers of Marines killed in Kabul blast rip Biden: 'He talked more about his son than my son'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gold-star-fathers-marines-killed-kabul-biden

Resurrection :owned:

Lets be honest though, every thread MC’s stupid ass has ever started can be brought back up to re-own his ignorant, TDS libtwat ass.  But, that’s not saying it isn’t hilarious every time!  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Resurrection :owned:

Lets be honest though, every thread MC’s stupid ass has ever started can be brought back up to re-own his ignorant, TDS libtwat ass.  But, that’s not saying it isn’t hilarious every time!  :lol:

Truth!! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Every time he gets knocked the fuck out he claims he was fishing   :lol: Another spineless wonder

Pretty much every thread. :lol: There’s no defense for what Biden and his handlers are doing to this country. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Facebook and Instagram disabled the account of one of the mothers of the deceased marines.

What POS's.

9953317536c41f49.jpg

Sad day when our leaders incompetence results in this many deaths. Better not show that on Facebook. The lipstick on the pig might get smeared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

I’m catching fish five years in the past….lmao

i own both your asses.

How do you feel about Biden's treatment face to face of these gold star families?? The families seem to feel quite disrespected, not someone else's opinion, this is THEIR opinion..

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

How do you feel about Biden's treatment face to face of these gold star families?? The families seem to feel quite disrespected, not someone else's opinion, this is THEIR opinion..

Did the fact checkers validate it?  What about Duh underground?