Check your account email address ×

Dow 26,000:

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

This market is the worst bubble I've ever seen in my adult life.

GDP .....way down

Earnings ....way down

Industrials and Transport close to recession.

World economy in recession

Trade war dragging on with no resolution even close to in sight

Historically low interest rates being slashed and headed to zero with many countries issuing negative rates.

Fed engaged in quantitative easing and also pumping trillions in liquidity to keep the financial system from collapsing 

And we have record stock prices

It's only welfare when they bail out poor people, not banks, businesses or the stock market.

12 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No doubt.  Other investors are looking outside the bubble.

Yup.  Diversification and systematic investing over time, win every time.  Not this convulsive, reactionary, inconsistent and completely bullshit way that some are looking at it.

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Yup.  Diversification and systematic investing over time, win every time.  Not this convulsive, reactionary, inconsistent and completely bullshit way that some are looking at it.

All these folks that think they can beat the street is hilarious to me. I’ve seen it over and over again. Once in a while they get lucky but it’s not a successful long term strategy. 

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Two months left of 2019, the Trumpster brainiacs claimed his tax cuts and business acumen would push the Dow to 30,000 in 2018.  

Yet they still strut around like pigeons shitting on a chess board.

Jesus dude.  You can repeat that lie until the cows come home it doesn’t mean anyone actually said it.....you are one annoying twat.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I hate the volatility of the market, beyond words. 

So buy an annuity if the market scares you.....at least you can put your head on the pillow and know the checks gonna be there....

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

So buy an annuity if the market scares you.....at least you can put your head on the pillow and know the checks gonna be there.…

What percentage do they pay, and can I liquidate at any time, without penalty? 

53 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Depends on your age, and no.  Liquidate within the first 7 years you get fucked.  Its not an investment per se, but a contract with the insurance company.   Off the top of my head if you’re 65-70, Prudential has a variable that guarantees you 5.35% of withdrawal value for life.  Same product has a guaranteed 5.5% compound rollup value with a high water mark feature that locks in any all time highs.  So imagine 100,000, hold it for 3 years....100,000 x 1.055 x 1.055 x 1.055/.0535 = Your annual minimum guaranteed income until you die.  Market does better you do better.  Personally I don’t see the point of this kind of strategy unless you’re guaranteeing a life income.  There are different payout options, and If you want your lady on the life payout, the guarantee drops 50 basis points or .5%.  So its not a product you invest in, unless you plan on using it for its desired purpose, which is to guarantee an income.  There are costs involved that impact the actual cash value, and where many get lost, thinking they can cash it in for that same formula, but it doesn’t work like that.  The other place where people get lost is when you annuitize the contract, that guaranteed value comes off the actual market or cash value.  As long as you understand the trap doors, you’re good. Don’t cash in, use it for desired purpose.  Too many people die scraping nickels together, when they could be enjoying retirement, most of it ends up going to their heirs.

Edited by DriftBusta

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Depends on your age, and no.  Liquidate within the first 7 years you get fucked.  Its not an investment per se, but a contract with the insurance company.   Off the top of my head if you’re 65-70, Prudential has a variable that guarantees you 5.35% of withdrawal value for life.  Same product has a guaranteed 5.5% compound rollup value with a high water mark feature that locks in any all time highs.  So imagine 100,000, hold it for 3 years....100,000 x 1.055 x 1.055 x 1.055/.0535 = Your annual minimum guaranteed income until you die.  Market does better you do better.  Personally I don’t see the point of this kind of strategy unless you’re guaranteeing a life income.  There are different payout options, and If you want your lady on the life payout, the guarantee drops 50 basis points or .5%.  So its not a product you invest in, unless you plan on using it for its desired purpose, which is to guarantee an income.  There are costs involved that impact the actual cash value, and where many get lost, thinking they can cash it in for that same formula, but it doesn’t work like that.  The other place where people get lost is when you annuitize the contract, that guaranteed value comes off the actual market or cash value.  As long as you understand the trap doors, you’re good. Don’t cash in, use it for desired purpose.  Too many people die scraping nickels together, when they could be enjoying retirement, most of it ends up going to their heirs.

OK, thanks. I think at my age, this might not work for me. I think the withdrawal penalty bothers me, I want access to my money, if I need it. 

I have to do some minimum required withdrawals from a couple of retirement accounts I have. I also have some in cash if I need it. I just don't like having so much of my funds in Fidelity. I have made some money yes, but I am a pessimist, so I don't want all my eggs in the Fidelity basket. I just wish the political/financial situation was more stable. 

God, I miss those Reagan years!!  

My personality is not conducive to investing.

Example: If on a given day my portfolio hits a high point. The following days it drops, and doesn't hit the high point again, I get bummed. Doesn't matter if I made thousands that year, I still think I got screwed because it's not at it's high point!! 

Is that fucked, or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

My personality is not conducive to investing.

Example: If on a given day my portfolio hits a high point. The following days it drops, and doesn't hit the high point again, I get bummed. Doesn't matter if I made thousands that year, I still think I got screwed because it's not at it's high point!! 

Is that fucked, or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes that's fucked, and it's looking at it from a very elementary point of view.

7 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Just pay Ben the $25k you owe him and then kill yourself. Problem solved. 

OK, thanks. I think at my age, this might not work for me. I think the withdrawal penalty bothers me, I want access to my money, if I need it. 

I have to do some minimum required withdrawals from a couple of retirement accounts I have. I also have some in cash if I need it. I just don't like having so much of my funds in Fidelity. I have made some money yes, but I am a pessimist, so I don't want all my eggs in the Fidelity basket. I just wish the political/financial situation was more stable. 

Look at private, ie apartment/retail REITs etc.  Mine have a 4 month hold, can liquidate all without any penali after that and a solid 10% 12 month return.  

Well the other thing I forgot to add is (Jones guidance) you never put more than 30% of your investible assets into an annuity.  So you lock in your gains on a portion, as a hedge.  Honestly, talk to your guy, because you’re a perfect candidate.  If he recommends more than 30%, take all your money and find a new guy.  Fuckin banks love to sell the shit out of annuities, like all your assets.  The commissions are great.  Thats podunk bullshit.  Rates have actually come down lately, lower payouts since the low interest rate environment now.  Theres a bunch of different annuity types too, but if the markets have you stressed out, its something to consider.  Talk to your guy about them.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Look at private, ie apartment/retail REITs etc.  Mine have a 4 month hold, can liquidate all without any penali after that and a solid 10% 12 month return.  

IMO, REITS have their highs and lows too.  Think Jelly Bean chart-which shows which investment types perform the best in any given year.  Give a different color to each investment type and different types perform at the top each year.  Don’t have one in front of me, but I believe REITS have had a few years where they took it on the chin.  Also the tax consideration here in the states has to be looked at.  Going off the top of my head, but many times those distributions are at least partly return of principal.   Don’t get me wrong, I love them too.  Just not for everyone.