Check your account email address ×

Social media ruins your brains according to experts

BOHICA

• Gold Member

Ex cofounder of Facebook says it is wrecking brains....  I believe that to be true for all social media's.  I think the more people read twitter, facebook, instagram, and what every else there may be is rotting the brain of America and the World.  

n a talk last month at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business, former Facebook vice president for user growth Chamath Palihapitiya called on his audience of future business leaders to do all they could to stop Facebook ruining people’s minds and society at large.

https://www.inverse.com/article/39290-former-facebook-head-admits-facebook-might-be-screwing-up-our-brains

2 hours ago, Muskoka Rider said:

Just imagine if the researchers ever saw this place.

Social media is just people who know each other in real life treating each other like we treat each other here because they get too ballsy for their own good when they're not face to face. It's basically a giant butthurt machine. 

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

:lol:

Social media is like a gun, or a tool.  You will get out of it what you put into it.  Managed properly there is a giant trove of information and education there.  

Neal

I can agree with this.  I had to read it twice to make sure though.  

3 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Social media is just people who know each other in real life treating each other like we treat each other here because they get too ballsy for their own good when they're not face to face. It's basically a giant butthurt machine. 

Wut? Point conflicting post.

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Social media is like a gun, or a tool.  You will get out of it what you put into it.  Managed properly there is a giant trove of information and education there.  

Neal

Agreed.  Just use in moderation and don't forget the importance of real, actual social interaction.  There are a few in here who could use some fresh air once in a while. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Agreed.  Just use in moderation and don't forget the importance of real, actual social interaction.  There are a few in here who could use some fresh air once in a while. :lol: 

These kids are having a hard time looking people in the eye during interviews and have an even harder time striking up impromptu conversations.  Maybe it will work out for them....but It’s gonna take their whole generation to start running the business show before that happens.  Personally, I think these kids are fucked.  Their in person social skills are shit.  

Point: I opened up an entry level bank account with my daughter last year.  Went into the branch with her to show her a few things.  Nothing big. The 20 something empty suit looked at his screen or his desk the whole time.  Even when I stood up to shake his hand he looked down at my feet.  

SMH.

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

These kids are having a hard time looking people in the eye during interviews and have an even harder time striking up impromptu conversations.  Maybe it will work out for them....but It’s gonna take their whole generation to start running the business show before that happens.  Personally, I think these kids are fucked.  Their in person social skills are shit.  

Point: I opened up an entry level bank account with my daughter last year.  Went into the branch with her to show her a few things.  Nothing big. The 20 something empty suit looked at his screen or his desk the whole time.  Even when I stood up to shake his hand he looked down at my feet.  

SMH.

Totally agree.   Realized this while doing estimates. Over 40 crowd will make small talk about weather, sports, current events, etc.

younger generation sits down, immediately takes out phone and not a word.

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Totally agree.   Realized this while doing estimates. Over 40 crowd will make small talk about weather, sports, current events, etc.

younger generation sits down, immediately takes out phone and not a word.

It’s astonishing. My daughter wants to find a different job and EVERYONE IS HIRING FOR EVERYTHING (thanks Obama).  I pointed out a few signs the other day while driving.  She said, “I’ll go online”.  I said, all you have to do is walk in and you have the damn job!!!!!  She said (and I kid you not) “meh...I don’t feel like it.”

I just laughed...and thankfully, so did she.  She saw the idiocy of what she just said.

24 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

SMH.

Yeah its bad.  I talk to my kids alot, and they're not bad with it at all.  Put the phones down when we're talking or having dinner.  Was at the bar the other night, with an all age kinda crowd.  Most of the 20-30 somethings were glued to their phones, and even some of the older folks.  I don't get it.  Whats really effed up is you see a younger couple out to dinner, and they're both spending more time on their phones than interacting with each other. :lol:  

Edited by DriftBusta

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah its bad.  I talk to my kids alot, and they're not bad with it at all.  Put the phones down when we're talking or having dinner.  Was at the bar the other night, with an all age kinda crowd.  Most of the 20-30 somethings were glued to their phones, and even some of the older folks.  I don't get it.  Whats really effed up is you see a younger couple out to dinner, and they're both spending more time on their phones than interacting with each other. :lol:  

they are just preparing themselves for the inevitable 

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

No phones are brought in when we go out to eat.  My daughter does pretty well with a lot of it, but I’m outnumbered by what has become a society of shut-ins and Social media weaklings.  

All she has to do is make eye contact every so often and she’ll be a CEO in no time....while the rest sit in their cubes growing ear potatoes.

Seems like you need to join Fbook just to find info now.  What is up with that?  Small mom and pop shops only using that method.

We fall into these traps created by the big players and then we are stuck with their marketing etc. 

Wanna make a fortune?  Create a social media avenue that everyone thinks they need.  Make it free until they are hooked, then charge for the same service.

We have a whole generation of electronic lemmings growing up around us today.  It is refreshing to actually have a conversation to someone that hasn't jumped off that cliff.

10 hours ago, Wildboer said:

Used properly, it's great entertainment 

9 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Exactly 

I got some guy so good the other day that when I didn't respond to his angry comments for an hour because I was busy he resorted to calling me out on messenger. When I got back to my phone I told him I was sorry if I had been too sassy for him :lol:

3 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

I got some guy so good the other day that when I didn't respond to his angry comments for an hour because I was busy he resorted to calling me out on messenger. When I got back to my phone I told him I was sorry if I had been too sassy for him :lol:

Lol I hardly ever check messenger but i usually have some good fan mail

9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

SMH.

Last year? Was that the last time you looked up from your phone?