Check your account email address ×

New Hampshire lawmaker wants to consider Russian liquor ban

ckf

Proposed bill would establish commission to respond to 'Russian interference in our democracy'

New Hampshire State Liquor Store

SOURCE: Connie/Flickr

CONCORD, N.H. —

If one New Hampshire lawmaker has his way, it might become difficult to find Russian vodka in the state's liquor stores.

Senate Minority Leader Jeff Woodburn (D-Whitefield) on Monday proposed a bill, LSR 932, that would establish a bipartisan commission to consider ways the state could respond to what he calls "Russian interference in our democracy."

The commission would evaluate and recommend potential actions that New Hampshire can take in response to Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Woodburn released a statement Monday evening, which read, "Free and fair elections are the cornerstone of our democracy, both here in the Granite State and our great country as a whole. The uncontested conclusion by the US intelligence community of Russian interference in our elections requires a response at the local, state, and federal levels."

"Given this confirmed interference in our elections, New Hampshire shouldn't just continue a 'business as usual' relationship with Russia," he continued. "As filed, this legislation allows us to look at how our state can best respond to this unprecedented attack on our democracy and how any response will affect our state."

LSR 932 suggests the state could suspend or ban the sale of Russia-made liquor at stores operated by the New Hampshire Liquor Commission and require that Old Man on the Mountain bottles contain American liquor, not Russian liquor. The bottles have images of the Old Man of the Mountain, a granite face-like profile that crumbled to the ground nearly 15 years ago.

"Until recently you could not purchase Cuban cigars, and may people enjoy Cuban cigars. But because of our political relationship with Cuba, we have decided that's not permitted," Woodburn told News 9.

The bill calls on the commission to reconsider state retirement system investments in Russian companies.

"Foreign interference in our elections not only undermines our Constitutional democracy, but our independence and sovereignty," Woodburn wrote. "This is not a partisan issue. That's why I have invited all Senators and the bipartisan leadership of the NH House to co-sponsor this legislation. When our freedoms are threatened, Granite Staters expect us to respond and I am proud to bring forward legislation to do so."

"I think that it's important that if there is any minor inconvenience that this is an important consideration as to the values of our country that we do not support those that undermine our basic fundamental democracy," he said to News 9.

"I think it is a small, small price to pay when you consider the enormity of this attack on our democracy that we need to stand strong, we need to be proud to be Americans, and wave our flags with pride and purchase products that come from our state, our country, or our friends and forgo those places that are enemies."

Russia has denied hacking into U.S. systems.

Click here to read LSR 932 in full.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Wood burn is a total fukstik. Can't believe he got re elected. He's done now though. Trying to take booze away from granite staters, won't end well. 

titos, skyyy, Kirkland, if you are going to mix the shit, who cares.  As long as you aren't drinking bottom shelf paint thinner.

Smirrnoff is probably the best selling vodka..........I don't know anyone who drinks Russian Vodka.   

6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

titos, skyyy, Kirkland, if you are going to mix the shit, who cares.  As long as you aren't drinking bottom shelf paint thinner.

Smirrnoff is probably the best selling vodka..........I don't know anyone who drinks Russian Vodka.   

when Stoli first made its appearance here everyone was drinking it. It sucked then but you know it was "new". Then the 88 flavors came in it was over.

There are many craft distilleries in New England now that make great vodka, gin, rum and wiskey.

http://www.flaghill.com/distillery/flag-hill-spirits/

Have to try Smoky

http://smokyquartzdistillery.com/

http://tamworthdistilling.com/

Edited by Mainecat

40 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Smirnoff sure as fuck is a Russian name :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

when Stoli first made its appearance here everyone was drinking it. It sucked then but you know it was "new". Then the 88 flavors came in it was over.

There are many craft distilleries in New England now that make great vodka, gin, rum and wiskey.

http://www.flaghill.com/distillery/flag-hill-spirits/

Have to try Smoky

http://smokyquartzdistillery.com/

http://tamworthdistilling.com/

Good to see Tamworth Distilling is up and running. They were still working on converting the old Tamworth Inn in to a distillery when I moved to VT.