Check your account email address ×

40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

What are energy costs there?  

What is the value of a piece of property that is taxed at $1200/year.  

Electricity runs .11 kwh and my dual fuel heat is.08 kwh. 

I'm burning wood mostly but plan on putting in a pellet stove before we retire. I can buy bulk pellets direct from the factory 20 miles away really cheap.

Property value is about $200k.

1 minute ago, Big Crappie said:

I'm burning wood mostly but plan on putting in a pellet stove before we retire. I can buy bulk pellets direct from the factory 20 miles away really cheap.

All very reasonable for sure.  

How much wood will you burn in a winter?  Firewood here is fairly cheap.  Maybe $150/cord for split seasoned wood.  Most people just buy it to burn in their firepit.  Not many people here burn firewood for heat.  

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

How much wood will you burn in a winter?  Firewood here is fairly cheap.  Maybe $150/cord for split seasoned wood.  Most people just buy it to burn in their firepit.  Not many people here burn firewood for heat.  

3-5 cords a season.

All we burn is hardwood and my sons and I cut it from state and county land with permits. If I had to buy it I'm thing $150-250 for a full 4x4x8 cord mixed hardwood dried 2 years.

Edited by Big Crappie

Just now, Big Crappie said:

All we burn is hardwood and my sons and I cut it from state and county land with permits. If I had to buy it I'm thing $150-250 for a full 4x4x8 cord mixed hardwood dried 2 years.

That kind of work will keep you healthy and cut down on health related expenses.  :bc: 

Shit that is cheap, our school taxes are a little over 4000.00 and I'm in a AG zone, my friend has a log cabin 12 or 1500 SQF and his are 9000.00. 

I'm not up on the cost of new homes now, but I' told they average 10,000 in permits and fees. Our gas bill is maybe 150.00 peak usage in winter but we heat water for the horse barn, summer the fees are higher than our bill, electric 70.00 non cooling months 125.00 with cooling and about the same with out door heaters in horses water tanks. We knocked off 50.00 a month by going all led's.

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

Wow, those property taxes would be nice. :lol:

I paid about $3100 per year on my last house which was only valued at $155k or so. Property taxes in that town were nuts though.

Im not yet paying full taxes on my new house since it was new construction but even at $250k value, it’s going to be less than the last house.

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

I paid about $3100 per year on my last house which was only valued at $155k or so. Property taxes in that town were nuts though.

Im not yet paying full taxes on my new house since it was new construction but even at $250k value, it’s going to be less than the last house.

How far away from your old house is your new house?  

39 minutes ago, SSFB said:

just got my new assessment from the town at $625k.  I think after dancing off and on with a 10k property tax bill I will get there this year unfortunately.  

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Healthcare alone will eat up $1000 of a couples $4000 per month.  Now they are living on $3000.  Can a couple live on $3000 per month where you live?  

I would hope that by retirement age we would all have some savings. 4K a month with a plump bank account to travel or do whatever you like would work.

Well that feller from Alaska is living the life I plan to live when I retire! I’m in a low tax house I bought to flip back in 06. We have put some money into it but don’t plan on selling it,because it’s a nice house and very cheap to live in it! I’ve bought 3 new cars in my life time and I’m fitty.  We make all of our kids work when they hit 16. We will have very nice pensions when we retire, but our investments will buy the toys. I’m by no means rich. You need to plan for retirement like a divorce. You need some cash for unexpected expenses!

1 hour ago, SSFB said:

And thats with 200ft of lake shore frontage.

I totally understand where Tom is coming from but not everyone wants to travel a bunch in retirement or go out a lot. We live a very simple and frugal life even though we both make very good money. It;s just the way we are. We enjoy being away form the crowds.

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

Well that feller from Alaska is living the life I plan to live when I retire! I’m in a low tax house I bought to flip back in 06. We have put some money into it but don’t plan on selling it,because it’s a nice house and very cheap to live in it! I’ve bought 3 new cars in my life time and I’m fitty.  We make all of our kids work when they hit 16. We will have very nice pensions when we retire, but our investments will buy the toys. I’m by no means rich. You need to plan for retirement like a divorce. You need some cash for unexpected expenses!

Traveling is fun.  There are a lot of incredible things to see in our country and abroad.  It's not for everyone, I get that.

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

I totally understand where Tom is coming from but not everyone wants to travel a bunch in retirement or go out a lot. We live a very simple and frugal life even though we both make very good money. It;s just the way we are. We enjoy being away form the crowds.

You have a nice place.  We love the lake life too.  It's so much fun again with grand kids over all summer.  I restored my 25 year old Party Barge this summer.  It was the best money I've spent in a long time.  I would like to be more frugal some times.  

13 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

How do you and Eyore know what people need to enjoy their retirement...maybe family is close by and travel isn't required. Maybe people are happy where they live and don't even want to travel...you two  have them eating tins of cat food and living in boxes for fucks sake. 

Eyore is a good one........I loled. :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

My expenses are very low actually.  Property tax and insurance are pretty low.  No state  income tax.  No sales tax.  Utilities are very reasonable.  Going out to eat is a bit spendy but we try to only go out about 4 times per week.  

Havasu is pretty inexpensive too.  Groceries are really inexpensive there.  Going out to eat is very reasonable.  

OUtside of sled season I go out to eat about once a month. Fucking hate it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Funny , around here when oil skyrocketed 5 or 6 yrs ago wood went up too. When oil came back down wood stayed the same. $280 - $350 a cord. I don't buy it thou.

8 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

just got my new assessment from the town at $625k.  I think after dancing off and on with a 10k property tax bill I will get there this year unfortunately.  

IM around $7700 for a lot lower assessment.

7 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

x2

My taxes are $200 a month.

Electricity is $100.

Fill tanks for winter heat $1100. ($100)

Internet/TV etc $100

Phones $100

Food $300

$900 keeps me alive, warm, in a house and 'entertained'.

Even if I add in $500 a month for unexpected happenings.... $1,400

Tell me what I am missing and let's add it in....

I ain't busting on Tom's assumption, just trying to see where the money goes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Electricity is $100.

Internet/TV etc $100

Phones $100

Food $300

Your missing on food. If your feeding 2 for $300 a month you must be living on rice and beans.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Your missing on food. If your feeding 2 for $300 a month you must be living on rice and beans.

Nope. That's our lifestyle.

Edited by Snake

• Gold Member
37 minutes ago, Snake said:

Electricity is $100.

Internet/TV etc $100

Phones $100

Food $300

RV spot rent during winter months  $1000

rv gas/energy a month  $500

rv maintenance a month   $200

Rv summer storage fees.  $200

Tickets/access to tourist traps while rving $200 a month.