Check your account email address ×

So.....China is fucked

They better start playing ball pretty damn soon or they are going to have a really nasty recession on their hands.

Their markets are in full blown correction , their factories are slowing , steel tariffs are going into effect everywhere and they are going to be completely fucked there and their answer to all this is to tariff goods that they absolutely need and are government bought and distributed :lol: 

Chinese government buys beans , chinese government tariffs itself on bean purchases.....chinese government still has to buy beans and pay tariff. Makes total sense 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grggade said:

the shit is going to get real everywhere ben , You have to go with Donny and I have to go with a dress wearing feminist ,,, we could both be fucked

Indeed it could turn into a global issue but I'll take riding it out in the US vs anywhere else. We are a monster of an economy and if we decide to go it alone we will be just fine. 

In the end the US will be treated equally or we will savage the economies of anyone who seeks to exploit us. Our chips are down and Trump and his team arent bluffing

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Does anyone really think hat the US is asking is unfair?

Yes when it comes to Canada I do , just look at the numbers

I'm no expert on it but with Canada Trump keeps railing on our dairy Industry over and over which just seems so trivial in the big picture here . Our quota system on dairy is necessary to help keep small farms stable , fine lets tweek it and we can give subsidies like you do to keep the farmers going but I doubt that would be the end of this trade war shit . Your beef with China is dumping their cheap overproduction steel into your country , but that is exactly what your dairy would do to Canada

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, grggade said:

Yes when it comes to Canada I do , just look at the numbers

I'm no expert on it but with Canada Trump keeps railing on our dairy Industry over and over which just seems so trivial in the big picture here . Our quota system on dairy is necessary to help keep small farms stable , fine lets tweek it and we can give subsidies like you do to keep the farmers going but I doubt that would be the end of this trade war shit . Your beef with China is dumping their cheap overproduction steel into your country , but that is exactly what your dairy would do to Canada

Quota's or subsidies are both govt picking winners or trying to control prices thru output.   I love how nooks think their "quota" system is all that different than many of our farm subsidies.

You know what a huge part of our "subsidies" are?  Paying farmers not to plant certain crops.  CRP programs or programs for farmers to plant grass in high runoff strips.   Most of that has huge environmental benefits.   Same fucking thing dude.

Many of our other "subsidies" farmers have to pay for to participate.   Does it break even.....no but its better than nothing.  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Quota's or subsidies are both govt picking winners or trying to control prices thru output.   I love how nooks think their "quota" system is all that different than many of our farm subsidies.

You know what a huge part of our "subsidies" are?  Paying farmers not to plant certain crops.   Same fucking thing dude.

Many of our other "subsidies" farmers have to pay for to participate.   Does it break even.....no but its better than nothing.  

Jesus ,,That's what I just said . would that stop you from whining like little kids about our dairy,, is that all you fucking have really

6 minutes ago, grggade said:

Jesus ,,That's what I just said . would that stop you from whining like little kids about our dairy,, is that all you fucking have really

If the subsides are no different why does maple syrup land need to put a 270% tariff on our products?  Your lumber industry is subsidized by cheap public land leases.  I guess whats good for the goose eh?

Edited by Highmark

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

Does anyone really think hat the US is asking is unfair?

The problem isn't so much that what is asked/demanded for is fair, it could be, the method of how it was went about is more critical.  

Had Trump done a better job of entering into equal trade agreements we could have most likely avoided looking like giant assholes who love strong arming folks.

Neal

4 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The problem isn't so much that what is asked/demanded for is fair, it could be, the method of how it was went about is more critical.  

Had Trump done a better job of entering into equal trade agreements we could have most likely avoided looking like giant assholes who love strong arming folks.

Neal

Oh amazing analysis Neal........Trump should have just "entered" into some "fair" deals instead of resorting to tariffs to deal with hostile economic actors :lol: 

• Haha 1

Anyone who thinks this will be a nice clean deal is kidding themselves. This has been festering a long time and will be messy. Everything I’ve read about this says we have the upper hand here and just need to be patient...they’ll cave eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Cry me a river.   We've been taken advantage of for decades now because Trump wants a hard stop he's an asshole.  :lmao:

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

They better start playing ball pretty damn soon or they are going to have a really nasty recession on their hands.

Their markets are in full blown correction , their factories are slowing , steel tariffs are going into effect everywhere and they are going to be completely fucked there and their answer to all this is to tariff goods that they absolutely need and are government bought and distributed :lol: 

Chinese government buys beans , chinese government tariffs itself on bean purchases.....chinese government still has to buy beans and pay tariff. Makes total sense 

Hmmm

It sure looks like China’s preparing for a trade war with the US

China is looking for ways to wean itself off its dependence on US exports.

China seems to be positioning itself to deal with the fallout of a bruising trade war with the US.

On Thursday, China’s commerce ministry announced that the country had agreed to lower or cancel existing tariffs, or border taxes, on thousands of goods from India, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Laos starting July 1.

Trade experts say that the move is plain evidence that China is looking for alternative sources for goods that it imports from the US. China is currently planning on imposing sweeping tariffs on numerous goods from the US, retaliating against Trump’s tariffs on Chinese goods that are scheduled to begin next week.

For example, China plans to lower tariffs on soybeans imported from those five Asian countries — all of which are party to the Asia Pacific Trade Agreement (APTA). That should help Chinese consumers find alternatives to soybeans imported from the US, which are going to become much more expensive when China hits them with tariffs.

“There’s no question that China is preparing for a trade war,” Edward Alden, a trade scholar at the Council on Foreign Relations, told me.

China is currently planning on placing tariffs on $34 billion worth of US goods in response to Trump’s plan to hit $34 billion in Chinese goods with tariffs next week. Beijing is attempting to dissuade Trump from considering additional tariffs in the future by matching the scale of the US’s first batch of them.

While China and its Asian trading partners began to work on an agreement before the recent escalations in trade tensions between the US and China, analysts say the timing of the announcement is politically charged.

China’s plan to impose tariffs on soybeans is going to hit the US hard. China buys about a third of the US’s soybean exports, making it far and away the largest importer in the world for the American crop. The biggest soybean producers in the US include Ohio, Iowa, Missouri, and Indiana — states in the heart of Trump country where neither the president nor his party wants to see economic instability or job losses in the run-up to the 2018 midterm elections, or the 2020 elections.

Experts say that China’s move will also help it foster closer ties with its neighbors at a time when US influence in the region is ebbing.

“These tariff cuts will also help to strengthen China’s relations with its Asian neighbors, even as the United States has turned its back on the region economically, by walking away from the TPP,” Alden told me.

Trump pulled out of the TPP — a free-trade agreement with 11 other Pacific Rim countries — in his first week in office. At the time, trade analysts feared that China, which was not a member of the agreement, would have a unique opportunity to consolidate power in the region. That seems to be exactly what’s happening.

https://www.vox.com/world/2018/6/29/17515260/china-tariffs-trump-soy-trade-war

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

The taking on of all trade partners at one time makes no sense, Trump should have systematically picked off trade agreements in small batches.

Also in what conservative world do we have the POTUS picking winners and losers in our economy as is happening right now?

Edited by Mileage Psycho
typo

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Wrong.  More of the same.

24 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The taking on of all trade partners at one time makes no sense, Trump should have systematically picked off trade agreements in small batches.

Also in what conservative world do we have the POTUS picking winners and losers in our economy as is happening right now?

Let’s get it done!  Like taking off a band-aid....RIGHT OFF!

Many like this no muss, no fuss attitude with ending our bending overness around the world.  I am one of them.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I agree that this isnt the ideal way to do it but it was the only way to address China's continued belligerence on steel production. We could not curb the chinese steel industry without global disruption and that is what has been done. 

The president is not picking winners and losers.....he is saying that we will not tolerate unfair treatment on trade regardless of industry or product. China is an egregious offender and they needed dealt with. If our allies wont support us than fuck them too. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/global-stocks-see-biggest-loss-of-investor-cash-since-the-financial-cr.html

People are trampling themselves sprinting for the exits on global stocks and yet the US markets are stable and seeing capital flow in. Now you tell me who the world really thinks is going to emerge from a trade war unscathed and in the drivers seat.

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, f7ben said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/global-stocks-see-biggest-loss-of-investor-cash-since-the-financial-cr.html

People are trampling themselves sprinting for the exits on global stocks and yet the US markets are stable and seeing capital flow in. Now you tell me who the world really thinks is going to emerge from a trade war unscathed and in the drivers seat.

When you are the largest consumer economy with largest trade deficits, it completely baffles me how some think the US would be the loser in a tariff war.