Check your account email address ×

Tesla truck will require the energy of 4000 homes just to recharge

Rod

It is surprising how much power infrastructure has been built in rural areas in the past few years.  I have seen quite a few windmills, solar farms, and power lines being constructed in areas that have less people.  Most of the new power poles still have quite a bit of room to add lines.  The proposed maps for additional generation from solar and wind are quite ambitious.   There is a strong planning structure in place to add power.  One thing I have not seen is the plan for replacement of these "new" power generating structures.  The lifespan of current solar and wind equipment is relatively short.

BTW, why do the new power poles all look like they are rusting?  They look that way immediately after installation.  That also seems like a short term plan if they really are rusting.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, favoritos said:

It is surprising how much power infrastructure has been built in rural areas in the past few years.  I have seen quite a few windmills, solar farms, and power lines being constructed in areas that have less people.  Most of the new power poles still have quite a bit of room to add lines.  The proposed maps for additional generation from solar and wind are quite ambitious.   There is a strong planning structure in place to add power.  One thing I have not seen is the plan for replacement of these "new" power generating structures.  The lifespan of current solar and wind equipment is relatively short.

BTW, why do the new power poles all look like they are rusting?  They look that way immediately after installation.  That also seems like a short term plan if they really are rusting.

Less visually obtrusive.  It’s just surface rust.  If that pole was nice and shiny public would complain.  Heck I have seen where public has complained about brand new wire being shiny

Rust seems more obtrusive to me.  That is one of the reasons I wash my vehicles.:whistle:  Maybe they could coat the poles with mud to keep the tree huggers happy.

Some people will complain about anything.  I'm not surprised to hear comments about shiny power lines.  I wonder when they will start complaining about all the buzzards that now hang around wind towers.

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

They make them from weathering steel. They will last a long time that way as the rust stabilizes 

Why is it when you speak the truth about electric vehicles the alt left freaks out like you just attacked their god? 

if teslas large truck does what he says it will then it will be a good step forward. But his claims as of right now just don't make sense. 

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No, its the amount of energy 4000 homes consume in 30 minutes, same as charging the truck.   

No it isn't.  It's far fewer than 4000.  It is still a huge draw but there seems to be a great deal of exaggeration going on with the 4,000 homes number.

Neal

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No it isn't.  It's far fewer than 4000.  It is still a huge draw but there seems to be a great deal of exaggeration going on with the 4,000 homes number.

Neal

All your numbers you ran are based on 100% efficiency.  Electric motors in Tesla’s are on the magnitude of around 80% or so efficient on btu’s Vs btu’s out.  The batteries produce a lot of heat in charging and discharging as well as the motors generating heat during use.  Your 1.6 mw over a 1/2 hour is a substantially low number to prolly what it takes scientifically  to attain what musk claims.

26 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Its in the ballpark dude and while the average home may use less during the same time factor, there is also no way I am gonna believe the exaggerated 400 miles on a full charge with full load.  So two BS's balance each other out.

5 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Electrical power generation is getting greener everyday, and that's a fact.

Not everywhere.  In Central Europe they are replacing nuclear power plants with solar arrays and wind farms.  As the nuclear plants are shut down Coal fired plants have to run more and longer when there is extra need for energy like at night and when the wind isn't blowing.  This is happening in many countries who are trying to replace nuclear energy with renewable energy.  The CO2 emissions for those countries is going up.  Electrical power generation is not getting greener every day.  Try not to swallow that shit sandwich all in one bite.  

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/german-co2-emissions-rise-2015-despite-renewables-surge

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/german-carbon-emissions-rise-2016-despite-coal-use-drop

I just spent 5 weeks in Europe.  Their Semis get incredible mileage.  They are mostly a little smaller than a semi traveling the US.  I talked to a couple of drivers and they say they average about 20L/100 kilometer.  That is equivalent to about 14MPG.  The 50 passenger tour bus we rode in for a week was averaging about 15L/100 kilometers.  That is about 19mpg.  

Obviously they are carrying a smaller load than semis in the US but the big factor is how aerodynamic they are.  There is zero gap between the cab of the tractor and the trailer.  Their wheels are smooth and flush with the tires.  Europeans have gone to great lengths to make their vehicles much more fuel efficient.  

The electric semi in this story can't even compete with a 4MPG semi.  How in the world would it compete with a modern efficient European semi?  

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

All your numbers you ran are based on 100% efficiency.  Electric motors in Tesla’s are on the magnitude of around 80% or so efficient on btu’s Vs btu’s out.  The batteries produce a lot of heat in charging and discharging as well as the motors generating heat during use.  Your 1.6 mw over a 1/2 hour is a substantially low number to prolly what it takes scientifically  to attain what musk claims.

Efficiency is irrelevant other than being under the 2kwh/mile spec and the 30 minute charge spec.

The math is correct and the claim of 4,000 houses is largely exaggerated. 

Neal

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Its in the ballpark dude and while the average home may use less during the same time factor, there is also no way I am gonna believe the exaggerated 400 miles on a full charge with full load.  So two BS's balance each other out.

No it isn't, it's reasonably 2-5x the real draw.

Neal

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

I just spent 5 weeks in Europe.  Their Semis get incredible mileage.  They are mostly a little smaller than a semi traveling the US.  I talked to a couple of drivers and they say they average about 20L/100 kilometer.  That is equivalent to about 14MPG.  The 50 passenger tour bus we rode in for a week was averaging about 15L/100 kilometers.  That is about 19mpg.  

Obviously they are carrying a smaller load than semis in the US but the big factor is how aerodynamic they are.  There is zero gap between the cab of the tractor and the trailer.  Their wheels are smooth and flush with the tires.  Europeans have gone to great lengths to make their vehicles much more fuel efficient.  

The electric semi in this story can't even compete with a 4MPG semi.  How in the world would it compete with a modern efficient European semi?  

I agree, there seems to be a lot more we can do with our current fuel based systems than going battery.

Neal

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's possible they're pulling less weight. And here in Canada we generally pull more weight than you guys do.

ive also read that Europe already went away from DEF in their diesels. That would be nice 

19 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It's possible they're pulling less weight. And here in Canada we generally pull more weight than you guys do.

ive also read that Europe already went away from DEF in their diesels. That would be nice 

Yes they are pulling less weight for sure.  They use rail for much of the really heavy loads.  And, I'm pretty sure they aren't using DEF any more.  :bc: 

19 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yes they are pulling less weight for sure.  They use rail for much of the really heavy loads.  And, I'm pretty sure they aren't using DEF any more.  :bc: 

So how do we improve our technology, people seem to hate government efficiency standards.  Raising fuel prices to force efficiency also draws ire.  

It would be interesting to see Musks investment profile in non-electric tech for semis.

Neal