Check your account email address ×

Promise kept

Snake

"We will put West Virginia back to work..."

Glen Dale, W. Va. — Bad news travels fast. Good news, meanwhile, doesn’t seem to travel at all.

Last weekend in Beijing, as part of his 12-day trip to Asia, President Trump announced that the US and China had signed an $83.7 billion memorandum of understanding to create a number of petrochemical projects in West Virginia over the next 20 years.

If the agreement holds tight, it is an economic game changer for the state.

And yet, speaking to the locals here, you wouldn’t even know it had happened.

“I am surprised I heard nothing about it on the national news, nor in my local paper and newscasts,” said Jerald Stephens, 67, a West Virginia native and union rep, who has been a keen observer of local politics for as long as he can remember.

The BBC and CNN covered the news in their business sections, while The New York Times picked up a short story by The Associated Press on the deal. The stories’ headlines were muted; their placement low-key.

“One would have suspected that the prospect of an investment this large — nearly three times the total annual budget for the department of energy — would have been front-page news,” said Paul Sracic, political-science professor at nearby Youngstown State University.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/08/03/why-is-trump-rallying-in-west-virginias-huntington-because-hes-mostly-popular-there/?utm_term=.251ac614995c

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nope....i would say thank you and question why it hadnt been reported 

West Virginia has been riding a natural gas boom for the last 8 years. They have been moving away from coal and switching to the cleaner more efficient energy source. My BIL and nephew both started working for the pipeline company about 6 years ago. Most growth that state has seen in forever. Thanks Obama. 

3 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Congratulations Trump!  Now try not to screw it up.  I have no idea how “binding” a memorandum of understanding is.

Probably about as binding as accepting a nobel peace prize

I just want to know what “our global agenda” means....and what it entails.

Wait, wait!!! Let me fit my libril beanie on here.  Does it mean, Peace, equality and fair trade for all of mankind?  Err I mean, human kind.  Ok...gotta take this beanie off now.  I’m suddenly hit with a wave of sadness, a feeling of inequality and impoverishment.  And now I feel inclined to call people racists!  My wife is a racist!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I just want to know what “our global agenda” means....and what it entails.

Wait, wait!!! Let me fit my libril beanie on here.  Does it mean, Peace, equality and fair trade for all of mankind?  Err I mean, human kind.  Ok...gotta take this beanie off now.  I’m suddenly hit with a wave of sadness, a feeling of inequality and impoverishment.  And now I feel inclined to call people racists!  My wife is a racist!!!!!

You’re not the only one who wonders what it means other than being a slur against anyone who opposes Trump and along with that, demonize Obama’s efforts to work with the rest of the globe.

Ben Shapiro’s thoughts on the matter:

In truth, “globalism” has been emptied of most meaning since Trump began using it. Trump laments globalism, but says that Russia should take care of the situation in Syria; Trump laments globalism, but has outsourced much of his business for the length of his career. “Globalism” has become just a slur for Trump’s opponents, just as “neocon” was disconnected by the left from its roots in the left-to-right transitional figures like Irving Kristol and used as a club against anyone who supported the Iraq war (somehow George W. Bush, a lifelong Republican, became a “neo” – new – conservative). If you oppose Trump's agenda, you must disagree with his premise that America's interests come first -- you must be part of some sort of global conspiracy to overthrow American power.

Source

11 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

You’re not the only one who wonders what it means other than being a slur against anyone who opposes Trump and along with that, demonize Obama’s efforts to work with the rest of the globe.

Ben Shapiro’s thoughts on the matter:

In truth, “globalism” has been emptied of most meaning since Trump began using it. Trump laments globalism, but says that Russia should take care of the situation in Syria; Trump laments globalism, but has outsourced much of his business for the length of his career. “Globalism” has become just a slur for Trump’s opponents, just as “neocon” was disconnected by the left from its roots in the left-to-right transitional figures like Irving Kristol and used as a club against anyone who supported the Iraq war (somehow George W. Bush, a lifelong Republican, became a “neo” – new – conservative). If you oppose Trump's agenda, you must disagree with his premise that America's interests come first -- you must be part of some sort of global conspiracy to overthrow American power.

Source

Uh oh. 

The nerds of kek nation are souring on Trump. 

:news:

Just now, motonoggin said:

Uh oh. 

The nerds of kek nation are souring on Trump. 

:news:

:lol: Shapiro didn’t vote for him and has never supported trump. 

2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

And he has a far sharper mind than Trump.

Neal

Absolutely. A lot of conservatives don’t like the blowhard. But you knew that already...