Check your account email address ×

Jeff Sessions just threw a wet blanket on President Trump's Russia dossier conspiracy theory

I as I am sure most of you have been wondering why AG Jeff Sessions has not gone after Hillary Clinton so she can be locked up, well it's just not our inquiring minds it was also on the mind of some Congressional Republicans and they pressed ole Jeff today for an answer, I don't think the President is going to like Jeff's answer.

Jeff Sessions just threw a wet blanket on President Trump's Russia dossier conspiracy theory

President Trump is unhappy with Attorney General Jeff Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia investigation — which led to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. Trump has alsocriticized the Justice Department's handling of his travel ban, and he clearly has been unhappy with Sessions's perceived lack of zeal in investigating Democrats.

And now Sessions has done something Trump surely won't like: shooting down a conservative conspiracy theory at which the president himself has hinted.

During an appearance before the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, an animated Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) pressed Sessions on what Jordan felt was the need to appoint a second special counsel to look into Democrats' role in that infamous anti-Trump dossier. And Sessions rebuffed him.

“We know one fact: We know the Clinton campaign and the [Democratic] National Committee paid for — through the law firm — paid for the dossier. We know that happened,” Jordan began. “And it sure looks like the FBI was paying the author of that document. And it sure looks like a major political party was working with the federal government to then turn an opposition research document that quoted some National Enquirer story into an intelligence document, take that to the FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act] court so that they could then get a warrant to spy on Americans associated with President Trump's campaign. That's what it looks like.”

Sessions's retort: “I would say 'looks like' is not enough basis to appoint a special counsel.”

The exchange came the morning after The Washington Post reported that a new Justice Department letter showed that Sessions was entertaining the idea of that new special counsel. That letter came in response to members like Jordan calling for one, and it wasn't clear how close Sessions was to actually appointing one. His comments Tuesday suggest that he's not terribly close.

But the call isn't coming just from House Republicans; it has also come from Trump. Two weeks ago, Trump called on his own Justice Department to investigate Hillary Clinton. Trump added that the “saddest thing” was that he couldn't order the DOJ to do such things.

“Hopefully, they are doing something and, at some point, maybe we are going to all have it out,” he said.

Trump has also tweeted conspiratorial ideas about the dossier and alleged that the Obama administration wiretapped Trump Tower before his victory last November.

In recent weeks, Trump has suggested that the FBI paid for the dossier and worked with Democrats on it. (The FBI did reach a deal with the dossier's author, Christopher Steele, The Post has reported, but scrapped it before making payments when Steele's name became public.)

Trump has also urged investigations of Clinton for both the dossier and the alleged rigging of the 2016 Democratic primary contests.

Trump hasn't connected the dots between the dossier and the alleged monitoring of his campaign to the extent that Jordan did in his question, but it's pretty evident that Trump shares many of the concerns and the general idea behind Jordan's theory. And in response, Sessions basically suggested that the whole idea was conspiratorial and highly speculative.

In some ways, this is what Sessions signed up for. He has got to balance the conspiracy-theory-loving and loyalty-demanding impulses of his boss with what the law calls for and allows. He has also got to maintain the independence of the Justice Department when it looks as if Trump is leaning on him to take specific actions.

And as the scene Tuesday morning showed, that can lead to some decisions and comments that the boss probably won't be thrilled with.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jeff-sessions-just-threw-a-wet-blanket-on-president-trumps-russia-dossier-conspiracy-theory/ar-BBEXZLD

29 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If I had a choice between being gay or as fucking stupid as you, I’d suck cock till I choked. 

Too bad you don't have a choice cause your already really gay

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I have a feeling sessions is ready to pop. Why is Elliot Richardson’s name ringing in my ears? :lol: 

At this point I don't think Session's cares if he gets fired for not obeying Trump's tweets, Session's looked nervous yesterday and he certainly knows that the words I don't recall will not exonerate someone from perjury.

At the time of the Senate hearings one would have to believe that Sessions never thought about Trump campaign operatives coming out and spilling the beans, it's just another Bozo nightmare for those close to the Trump campaign.

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

We got Mueller based on nothing more than blatant DNC lies.....so I would say "looks like" is more then adequate 

And we know you are better versed in the laws than the AG :lol: 

Sessions's retort: “I would say 'looks like' is not enough basis to appoint a special counsel.”

4 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

And we know you are better versed in the laws than the AG :lol: 

How is that a retort to what Ben said? Where did he talk about laws? It's a fact that the Special Council was appointed because of the info that came from the dossier

55 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

How is that a retort to what Ben said? Where did he talk about laws? It's a fact that the Special Council was appointed because of the info that came from the dossier

The dossier has nothing to do with why Rosenstein appointed mueller to a special council. This was done to investigate if trump obstructed justice by firing Comey and as well as asking Comey to end the investigation against Flynn 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2017 at 11:03 PM, Mileage Psycho said:

I as I am sure most of you have been wondering why AG Jeff Sessions has not gone after Hillary Clinton so she can be locked up, well it's just not our inquiring minds it was also on the mind of some Congressional Republicans and they pressed ole Jeff today for an answer, I don't think the President is going to like Jeff's answer.

President Trump is unhappy with Attorney General Jeff Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia investigation — which led to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. Trump has alsocriticized the Justice Department's handling of his travel ban, and he clearly has been unhappy with Sessions's perceived lack of zeal in investigating Democrats.

And now Sessions has done something Trump surely won't like: shooting down a conservative conspiracy theory at which the president himself has hinted.

During an appearance before the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, an animated Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) pressed Sessions on what Jordan felt was the need to appoint a second special counsel to look into Democrats' role in that infamous anti-Trump dossier. And Sessions rebuffed him.

“We know one fact: We know the Clinton campaign and the [Democratic] National Committee paid for — through the law firm — paid for the dossier. We know that happened,” Jordan began. “And it sure looks like the FBI was paying the author of that document. And it sure looks like a major political party was working with the federal government to then turn an opposition research document that quoted some National Enquirer story into an intelligence document, take that to the FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act] court so that they could then get a warrant to spy on Americans associated with President Trump's campaign. That's what it looks like.”

The exchange came the morning after The Washington Post reported that a new Justice Department letter showed that Sessions was entertaining the idea of that new special counsel. That letter came in response to members like Jordan calling for one, and it wasn't clear how close Sessions was to actually appointing one. His comments Tuesday suggest that he's not terribly close.

But the call isn't coming just from House Republicans; it has also come from Trump. Two weeks ago, Trump called on his own Justice Department to investigate Hillary Clinton. Trump added that the “saddest thing” was that he couldn't order the DOJ to do such things.

“Hopefully, they are doing something and, at some point, maybe we are going to all have it out,” he said.

Trump has also tweeted conspiratorial ideas about the dossier and alleged that the Obama administration wiretapped Trump Tower before his victory last November.

In recent weeks, Trump has suggested that the FBI paid for the dossier and worked with Democrats on it. (The FBI did reach a deal with the dossier's author, Christopher Steele, The Post has reported, but scrapped it before making payments when Steele's name became public.)

Trump has also urged investigations of Clinton for both the dossier and the alleged rigging of the 2016 Democratic primary contests.

Trump hasn't connected the dots between the dossier and the alleged monitoring of his campaign to the extent that Jordan did in his question, but it's pretty evident that Trump shares many of the concerns and the general idea behind Jordan's theory. And in response, Sessions basically suggested that the whole idea was conspiratorial and highly speculative.

In some ways, this is what Sessions signed up for. He has got to balance the conspiracy-theory-loving and loyalty-demanding impulses of his boss with what the law calls for and allows. He has also got to maintain the independence of the Justice Department when it looks as if Trump is leaning on him to take specific actions.

And as the scene Tuesday morning showed, that can lead to some decisions and comments that the boss probably won't be thrilled with.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jeff-sessions-just-threw-a-wet-blanket-on-president-trumps-russia-dossier-conspiracy-theory/ar-BBEXZLD

On 11/14/2017 at 11:05 PM, DUMPY said:

Lol poor wince. Guthooked again 

Dumpy was right. :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 11/14/2017 at 10:08 PM, f7ben said:

We got Mueller based on nothing more than blatant DNC lies.....so I would say "looks like" is more then adequate 

Not only that but constitutionally firing Comey of which the man who started the SC investigation recommended.     

On 11/14/2017 at 10:57 PM, ActionfigureJoe said:

I have a feeling sessions is ready to pop. Why is Elliot Richardson’s name ringing in my ears? :lol: 

I see you are back to your old screen name today 

oh sorry I see we are on 2017 before you ran away and changed your name 

Edited by Ez ryder