Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I'm sure Polaris considered buying it, but figured it would be cheaper to copy it, even with patent infringements. 

Although that didn't work out for their first kick at the FI can.....

efi.JPG

I'm sure they did , but Tiller was an idiot . And while they were , BRP got it . And got all the DI tech . 

I do ride with ETEC's regularly (and pilot them too) the fuel/oil milage diff between current SD and Pol 800's is negligible. They both run excellent/strong/reliably and can make 130 + miles on a tank. That's all I care about, I'm not in this game to save $2.25 on fuel..

Sorry, but your 1200 is anemic. Completely irrelevant. 

Huh?  Lol  The fuel difference is not negligible.  As I said, I run with a new Poo 800, and it will always use several litres more.  And 800 ETECs are better than the 1200 (not worse), that was the point.  As anemic as it is.  And that's at full trail tilt.  My old ZX 800 would do 120 on a tank, and we planned trips to that figure.  If your Poo gets "130+", that's quite poor.  I put 170 on my XRS, 5 years ago. 

Ridden a 1200?  Never heard it called anemic before.  It gives up a few mph to an 800 on the lake, but nothing else.  A much better, and more torquey sled, than my 800 XRS ETEC was. 

Arguing SDI is as good as DI, is a bit retarded. Only a Polaris guy would make that claim. 

Maybe Doo should go back to SDI? 

24 minutes ago, Garth said:

I do ride with ETEC's regularly (and pilot them too) the fuel/oil milage diff between current SD and Pol 800's is negligible. They both run excellent/strong/reliably and can make 130 + miles on a tank. That's all I care about, I'm not in this game to save $2.25 on fuel..

Sorry, but your 1200 is anemic. Completely irrelevant. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

It is negligible especially as per your description.

I did not say SDI is as good as DI. I said They both run well and comparably.

I don't care to try to surpass 130, whats the point? I ride in Ontario there is lots of fuel avail. The last time a fuel runout happened in our group was last year, a 15' XRS 8 ETEC right around that 130 mile mark. The two 16' Polaris 800's both made it to fuel and I brought a can back for the Doo. The time before that it was in 2010 an 08' XP 800 X and My 02' XC700 both ran out about 2 miles apart on the way to Abitibi Canyon, that time was prob under 120 miles as we had filled them at the ESSO across from Thriftlodge in Cochrane. Good thing there was an IQ 600 that made it to the top to bring some fuel back for us.

I'm sure you could make 170 mile happen under the right circumstances but that would not be the norm.

They did go back to SDI as the 850 has a secondary set of injectors..

If an 800 ETEC ran out at 130 miles there is either something wrong with that sled, or it wasn't filled with gasoline. 

Lucky in all your scenarios, Polarii saved the day..... :)  Not sure what your definition of negligible is, but in my opinion, having a sled that gets 20% better fuel range is significant.  What would be the point in developing all that technology, otherwise? 

And a secondary set of injectors is not what ETEC is. 

2 hours ago, Garth said:

It is negligible especially as per your description.

I did not say SDI is as good as DI. I said They both run well and comparably.

I don't care to try to surpass 130, whats the point? I ride in Ontario there is lots of fuel avail. The last time a fuel runout happened in our group was last year, a 15' XRS 8 ETEC right around that 130 mile mark. The two 16' Polaris 800's both made it to fuel and I brought a can back for the Doo. The time before that it was in 2010 an 08' XP 800 X and My 02' XC700 both ran out about 2 miles apart on the way to Abitibi Canyon, that time was prob under 120 miles as we had filled them at the ESSO across from Thriftlodge in Cochrane. Good thing there was an IQ 600 that made it to the top to bring some fuel back for us.

I'm sure you could make 170 mile happen under the right circumstances but that would not be the norm.

They did go back to SDI as the 850 has a secondary set of injectors..

.... So what's the primary form of injection ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tinker said:

.... So what's the primary form of injection ?

It is of course DI primarily but SDI and DI at others? I'm not sure what to call that?? It really does not matter if it works well which there seems to be no complaints.

I am always at my Doo faithful friends to order one up so I can try it!

42 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

If an 800 ETEC ran out at 130 miles there is either something wrong with that sled, or it wasn't filled with gasoline. 

Lucky in all your scenarios, Polarii saved the day..... :)  Not sure what your definition of negligible is, but in my opinion, having a sled that gets 20% better fuel range is significant.  What would be the point in developing all that technology, otherwise? 

And a secondary set of injectors is not what ETEC is. 

Oh it was full no question there. That XRS gets the iron dog treatment on every fill up.

No single brand always gets to save the day.

20%:lol:

It runs great, has good top end, competitive in a drag race. Your expectation of range is simply unrealistic, and you fail to factor in riding style/conditions as possible variables. 

Your out of gas Puzzle (ya pun intended), have also ridden beside 800 etec n regularly match or beat it on fuel usage. Same goes for when riding with a Cat 7000 and a 1200 Dooster. Yes I'm talking about same sleds under same conditions either both being ridden hard or both cruising. Love it or hate it, the '15 up 800 Poo is a great performer that is also very good on fuel.

Edited by ZRSledhead

1 hour ago, ZRSledhead said:

Your out of gas Puzzle (ya pun intended), have also ridden beside 800 etec n regularly match or beat it on fuel usage. Same goes for when riding with a Cat 7000 and a 1200 Dooster. Yes I'm talking about same sleds under same conditions either both being ridden hard or both cruising. Love it or hate it, the '15 up 800 Poo is a great performer that is also very good on fuel.

I agree, my 2010 1200 would burn the same as my brothers 2011 800 Rush, it was back and forth without a clear winner.  When I fill I always burp the tank which usually results in adding another 3 to 4 liters.  A guy I rode with a couple of weeks back has a 1200 and he never burped the tank at fill up, as a matter of fact, at one fuel stop the fuel attendant asked why he doesn't use that method.  I forget his exact response but I believe it was a sarcastic one.      

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I agree, my 2010 1200 would burn the same as my brothers 2011 800 Rush, it was back and forth without a clear winner.  When I fill I always burp the tank which usually results in adding another 3 to 4 liters.  A guy I rode with a couple of weeks back has a 1200 and he never burped the tank at fill up, as a matter of fact, at one fuel stop the fuel attendant asked why he doesn't use that method.  I forget his exact response but I believe it was a sarcastic one.      

What exactly is this, "Burp the gas tank"? I can't say I have ever done that, nor believe I need to, in all the years I have been sledding. When I fill up, I can get it right up into the neck on both sleds if I want too but rarely do due to spillage/overfill concerns.

I have checked, periodically, while stopped and the gas has hardly gone down any. I can't imagine burping it while filling up would allow me almost another Gallon in my tank? 

7 minutes ago, irv said:

What exactly is this, "Burp the gas tank"? I can't say I have ever done that, nor believe I need to, in all the years I have been sledding. When I fill up, I can get it right up into the neck on both sleds if I want too but rarely do due to spillage/overfill concerns.

I have checked, periodically, while stopped and the gas has hardly gone down any. I can't imagine burping it while filling up would allow me almost another Gallon in my tank? 

On mine I have to burp it by pushing down on the back of the sled.  Lets the air in so the gas goes down in the tank.  It's a  pain in the ass but is needed to assure a full tank of fuel.  If you don't burp it, it takes a long time to get the tank filled right up

Might it have been an Iron Dog reference? 

52 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Just a fuel tank geometry thing Irv.  The Doo tanks get a kind of air lock, and you can squeeze a couple more litres in if you rock the machine up and down or sit on it. 

This is supposedly what got the Iron Doggers disqualified, as outside helpers pushed down on the back of their sleds while filling. 

I never bother, and I've owned 4 of these machines now with those tanks.  Although, if I was planning a trip where range could be an issue, I would certainly fill it. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

Not saying it ISN'T good on fuel, but my experience (and that of testers in the biz) has been markedly different.  My machines are stock. 

2 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

2015 600 models.  Sorry, the Etec was 25% better, not 20%.  And far less oil. The 800s are closer though, IME.

Yep, Doo might as well abandon the ETECs......

600 Rush Pro-S: 12.46 mpg, 163 miles per qt. of oil

MX Z X 600 H.O. E-TEC: 16.55 mpg, 213 miles per qt. of oil

Edited by Puzzleboy

38 minutes ago, irv said:

It's a Doo thing irv, poor tank design.

I have noticed a few Polaris guys want to join in on the fun too but personally I have no issue getting mine filled while seated on the machine with no moving, bouncing, or throwing around of the machine  required.

You don't have to move, bounce or throw a Doo around.  Sitting on it while filling does the same thing.  I never bother though. 

I wonder why Poo copied that poor tank design then?

Nice try though.  :)

4 minutes ago, Garth said:

It's a Doo thing irv, poor tank design.

I have noticed a few Polaris guys want to join in on the fun too but personally I have no issue getting mine filled while seated on the machine with no moving, bouncing, or throwing around of the machine  required.

Edited by Puzzleboy

BTW, anyone around and studded up, some of the guys from Perf Rec and Bracebridge Yamaha as well as myself will be running some sleds on the gun on cooch again this sunday. Weather looks great. Bring some food and some drink. Radar your sled etc.... should be a good time. ( you can park at performance and run down the trail beside the shop and hop right on the lake, head north on the lake for 30 seconds and you will see everyone out having a good time!)