Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

Burping the tank is a method used by the doo boys to help them with their great mileage claims.

On the first fill up, which is usually done at home, they squeeze every ounce of gas possible into their tank, by gently lowering the back end of the sled several times while adding gas to allow as much air as possible to escape.

Then, on the next fill-up, they stick the nozzle down into the tank as deep as possible, so the pump will automatically shut off.

They then shut the pump off, and that is the bragging number they use for the amount of gas used.

Personally, I don,t give a rats ass what I use for gas, but for guys that don,t have much else to brag about their sleds, great mileage is about the only thing left, so they brag that one up, as much as they can.

Lol.  That gave us all a good chuckle.  If you burp it when you fill, and burp it when you refill, or don't burp at either time...... you'll have accurate numbers. 

If somebody was an idiot (looks at Guido), they could do that with ANY sled, and fool themselves. 

Take your meds; it's getting embarrasing now.  :lmao:

Just now, Frostynuts said:

Burping the tank is a method used by the doo boys to help them with their great mileage claims.

On the first fill up, which is usually done at home, they squeeze every ounce of gas possible into their tank, by gently lowering the back end of the sled several times while adding gas to allow as much air as possible to escape.

Then, on the next fill-up, they stick the nozzle down into the tank as deep as possible, so the pump will automatically shut off.

They then shut the pump off, and that is the bragging number they use for the amount of gas used.

Personally, I don,t give a rats ass what I use for gas, but for guys that don,t have much else to brag about their sleds, great mileage is about the only thing left, so they brag that one up, as much as they can.

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

2015 600 models.  Sorry, the Etec was 25% better, not 20%.  And far less oil. The 800s are closer though, IME.

Yep, Doo might as well abandon the ETECs......

600 Rush Pro-S: 12.46 mpg, 163 miles per qt. of oil

MX Z X 600 H.O. E-TEC: 16.55 mpg, 213 miles per qt. of oil

And where are those 800 numbers pertaining to the actual discussion ? Nice cherry pick to fit your agenda..

Agenda?  What, that DI actually works?  I have no agenda, but I understand the technology, and it does work. 

7 minutes ago, Garth said:

And where are those 800 numbers pertaining to the actual discussion ? Nice cherry pick to fit your agenda..

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Just a fuel tank geometry thing Irv.  The Doo tanks get a kind of air lock, and you can squeeze a couple more litres in if you rock the machine up and down or sit on it. 

This is supposedly what got the Iron Doggers disqualified, as outside helpers pushed down on the back of their sleds while filling. 

I never bother, and I've owned 4 of these machines now with those tanks.  Although, if I was planning a trip where range could be an issue, I would certainly fill it. 

It seems it happens with at least some of the Cat tanks as well. I remember filling the tank when the sleds were new and when the fuel was up to the neck of the tank I saw the gas bubbling and the level dropping down. I now put my feet as far back as I can on the running boards and bounce the sled up and down a few times and can get a fair bit more gas in. If I'm going to be out where availability and distance are questionable I'll make sure to squeeze in as much as I can by doing this.

2 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Lol.  That gave us all a good chuckle.  If you burp it when you fill, and burp it when you refill, or don't burp at either time...... you'll have accurate numbers. 

If somebody was an idiot (looks at Guido), they could do that with ANY sled, and fool themselves. 

Take your meds; it's getting embarrasing now.  :lmao:

No you don't and that was the point. Burping or purging the tank is very subjective, it's just never the same....I.E. If you spend a few minutes you can add between 3-6 liters or burp once and add 1 or 2 liters, but it is not consistent. If you stop it at the filler neck, as you do every time, you generally get a consistent fill up. If you are doing a real fuel test, everyone needs to be on the same playing field.  The only way to do a real fuel mileage test is to empty the tank and fill each sled with 5 gals, You need a graduated dip stick calibrated for each sled, ride the same speed until you run out of gas.....or you could just find the EPA sticker the manufacturer supplies and go with that.   I've done a couple fuel mileage checks this year where I fill to the bottom of the filler, ride the day and fill to the same filler neck mark, no burping.  I'm sitting at 11 - 12mpg, best was 13mpg on my sled, my old 1200 was the same.

I just fill my sled until the fuel is at the top of the neck, done.  And I refill the same way.  If range was an issue , I'd "burp" it and fill it to the max.  Or if someone wanted to do a mileage test, burp it on the first fill, and burp it on the refills. 

Your 5 gallon method is hardly practical.  And why would you need a graduated dip stick?  5 gallons is 5 gallons. :)

I think filling the sled the same way each time and calculating how much was used, is plenty accurate for determining MPG of a sled, or a car.  We're not trying to determine how much fuel a Soyuz capsule needs to leave the atmosphere here. 

Simply looking for a trend, and what the delta is.  And the more readings you take with consistent fillup methods, the better. Pretty simple stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Poncho said:

No you don't and that was the point. Burping or purging the tank is very subjective, it's just never the same....I.E. If you spend a few minutes you can add between 3-6 liters or burp once and add 1 or 2 liters, but it is not consistent. If you stop it at the filler neck, as you do every time, you generally get a consistent fill up. If you are doing a real fuel test, everyone needs to be on the same playing field.  The only way to do a real fuel mileage test is to empty the tank and fill each sled with 5 gals, You need a graduated dip stick calibrated for each sled, ride the same speed until you run out of gas.....or you could just find the EPA sticker the manufacturer supplies and go with that.   I've done a couple fuel mileage checks this year where I fill to the bottom of the filler, ride the day and fill to the same filler neck mark, no burping.  I'm sitting at 11 - 12mpg, best was 13mpg on my sled, my old 1200 was the same.

Edited by Puzzleboy

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

I just fill my sled until the fuel is at the top of the neck, done.  And I refill the same way.  If range was an issue , I'd "burp" it and fill it to the max.  Or if someone wanted to do a mileage test, burp it on the first fill, and burp it on the refills. 

Your 5 gallon method is hardly practical.  And why would you need a graduated dip stick?  5 gallons is 5 gallons. :)

I think filling the sled the same way each time and calculating how much was used, is plenty accurate for determining MPG of a sled, or a car.  We're not trying to determine how much fuel a Soyuz capsule needs to leave the atmosphere here. 

Simply looking for a trend, and what the delta is.  Pretty simple stuff. 

The dip stick was for the purpose of accuracy at the refill stop. It's an aircraft thing, I referenced it as more of a guideline, but I wouldn't expect you to understand.  I know you love to argue.  Just trying to help you understand, but the Puzzle vortex is alive and well....as usual....and yes simple stuff, try to follow along.....

If you want to find the correct delta or a trend you have to apply a bit of science, you can't just look at what someone adds per tank and draw an unqualified conclusion.

What refill stop?  Your example was to run the machines out of fuel, after they had been filled with 5 gallons.  What would you expect to find in the tanks, after they had run out of gas?  An unusable, and irrelevant, amount of residual fuel. 

While wildly impractical, your method would work.  But no graduated dipstick would be required.  You would know the distance travelled, and that 5 gallons was burned. 

Who's arguing?  Just wondered what the graduated dip stick was for.  Turns out, nothing.  :)   Yeah, I've made a few of those for aircraft...... to find out an approximation of what is in a tank. And I have graduated them to account for a particular tank's unique geometry. 

Apology accepted. 

However, the fill em up, and refill them the same way and calculate is plenty accurate enough for a sled, or car, comparison.  If the values found were too close to call, then a more accurate method would be needed.  If anybody cared that much. I don't, and anything less than a litre would be mostly meaningless. But if a particular sled takes 3+ more litres to fill everytime, I'd say it's relevant. 

16 minutes ago, Poncho said:

The dip stick was for the purpose of accuracy at the refill stop. It's an aircraft thing, I referenced it as more of a guideline, but I wouldn't expect you to understand.  I know you love to argue.  Just trying to help you understand, but the Puzzle vortex is alive and well....as usual....and yes simple stuff, try to follow along.....

If you want to find the correct delta or a trend you have to apply a bit of science, you can't just look at what someone adds per tank and draw an unqualified conclusion.

Edited by Puzzleboy

8 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Puzzle Vortex.......some day you will get it.......but likely not.  Actually I've found a new purpose for the dipstick...bend over buckle boy...lol

image.jpeg

FB_IMG_1489436117726.jpg

Edited by bladefever
Changes
  • Like 4

Poncho presents flawed science for a MPG test..... Posts doctored picture to divert subject. 

I wonder what all the government workers do when the thousands of cars they test for fuel economy, run out of gas at the 5 gallon mark. 

And what do they do with all those un-used dipsticks? 

Hitchhike, Uber? 

:)

Diversion noted. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

2 hours ago, Poncho said:

Puzzle Vortex.......some day you will get it.......but likely not.  Actually I've found a new purpose for the dipstick...bend over buckle boy...lol

image.jpeg

Puzzle Vortex.. the official FS weather pattern when a BRP trouble storm brews and thoughts go sideways...

• Like 2

The perfect diversion, anyway. 

I'm calling BRP tomorrow to let them know that their DI technology is not working. And if they ask for my source, I'll be honest. 

FS Polaris riders. 

Pretty sure the claims were "no difference in consumption, some of the Polarii got better mileage.... " etc. 

My mileage comparisons were made at the pump, not based on what brand I ride.  :)