Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Oh snap....Sled tracks on soldiers bay and Holland river!

Lots of slush tracks too....

Crazy buggers.

IMG_20161220_093323.jpg

The OPP were telling people to stay off the ice in the news last night. They referred to Chemong Lake having sleds on the ice already and how thin it still is.

1 hour ago, Reevester said:

Your riding area is calling for 6 day above freezing and 5-10mm of rain boxing day. You might want to check again. Hopefully it changes for boxing day.

The last forecast I saw was yesterday. I just checked again and as is typical for a weather forecast it has changed quite a bit.

Night time temps are still in the minus range and the original less than 1 mm of rain for Christmas Eve is gone on now pushed out to boxing day with 5 to 10 mm. Temps hovering around freezing or just above during the day could help to create a base. The snow I saw yesterday is too light and fluffy thanks to the cold temps. Even the banks where the driveway had been plowed was still light and easily shoveled yesterday when I was there.

Capture.JPG

Perhaps another check later today will show something different yet again.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

No worries, 02 is a keyboard rider.....there will be no trail riding anytime soon, so forecast is irrelevant :)

And not to kid myself either, my trail riding has decreased as of late as well.....:flush:

Wrong Stoney.... I stayed off the closed trails yesterday but did take a run on the cottage roads and through a friends property. I am meeting up with another friend in Wasaga area tomorrow where there are open trails. That is as long as the trails are still shown as open this afternoon.

Edited by 02sled

21 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Idiots are running the nottawasaga river.  I wouldn't trust that ice in the dead of winter, let alone in December.  

My parents house was on the river. You could always count on the middle being real slow to freeze over thanks to the current. Over the years we saw a number of sleds run up and down the river but never many. I guess most were smart enough to stay off.

I looked out over Georgian Bay as I crossed the hwy 400 bridge at Port Severn yesterday and it was for the most part frozen over except for the strong current areas. I don't imagine it will be long until someone thinks the ice around Honey Harbour through to Midland and Penetang is good enough

Edited by 02sled

• Platinum Contributing Member

This theft recovery sled I bought had the skis burned down so last night I exchanged them for another set I had sitting around. I intended to throw the damaged ones out but now I'm thinking about shaving the better one of the 2 down to match the other and throw a set of carbides to them.

The inner and outer carbides will be at the same height. I'm thinking they may track like the old Precision skis. Worth a shot.

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

34 minutes ago, 02sled said:

The last forecast I saw was yesterday. I just checked again and as is typical for a weather forecast it has changed quite a bit.

Night time temps are still in the minus range and the original less than 1 mm of rain for Christmas Eve is gone on now pushed out to boxing day with 5 to 10 mm. Temps hovering around freezing or just above during the day could help to create a base. The snow I saw yesterday is too light and fluffy thanks to the cold temps. Even the banks where the driveway had been plowed was still light and easily shoveled yesterday when I was there.

Capture.JPG

Perhaps another check later today will show something different yet again.

Wrong Stoney.... I stayed off the closed trails yesterday but did take a run on the cottage roads and through a friends property. I am meeting up with another friend in Wasaga area tomorrow where there are open trails. That is as long as the trails are still shown as open this afternoon.

Yeah close to an inch of rain in a week will make real a nice base. :nuts:

Hopefully things change. 

Edited by Reevester

16 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Yeah close to an inch of rain in a week will make real a nice base. :nuts:

Hopefully things change. 

When has the weather forecast been correct on the amount of snow or rain. 5 to 10 mm on the 26th is 0.2 inches to 0.39 inches. That would probably help the base considerably especially if it's on the low end of that range. Then approx. 5mm or 0.2 inches on the 29th and 30th is a long way off. The forecast changed quite a bit rom late yesterday to this morning. How many times and how much do you think it may change over the next 9 or 10 days. I've been at the lake where the forecast for that day was for heavy rain.... and guess what... not a drop. I will stay with the glass half full rather than half empty.

We do agree though.... hopefully the forecast changes which I'm sure it will.  

15 hours ago, 02sled said:

I really doubt that a land owner needs to make up a story about why they are closing THEIR private property to snowmobiles. I also doubt they really care about public opinion. Their property their decision and don't need a reason 

Exactly, for the life of me, I cann,t even come close to understanding how these idiots think.

Are we really in that big of a hurry that we cann,t slow down for a couple of minutes and be friendly to whoever we meet on the trail ?

When I,m leading our group, and I meet others on the trail with dogs, or cross country skiing, or whatever, I and our whole group slows down to a crawl, and come to a complete stop so the owner can call their dog back and control it.

To bad the land owners weren,t able to get reg. number off of the sleds. Public shame is a wonderful thing.   

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

When has the weather forecast been correct on the amount of snow or rain. 5 to 10 mm on the 26th is 0.2 inches to 0.39 inches. That would probably help the base considerably especially if it's on the low end of that range. Then approx. 5mm or 0.2 inches on the 29th and 30th is a long way off. The forecast changed quite a bit rom late yesterday to this morning. How many times and how much do you think it may change over the next 9 or 10 days. I've been at the lake where the forecast for that day was for heavy rain.... and guess what... not a drop. I will stay with the glass half full rather than half empty.

We do agree though.... hopefully the forecast changes which I'm sure it will.  

The one thing they usually underestimate is how warm it gets and how much rain will fall....Those numbers will likely increase....

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

The one thing they usually underestimate is how warm it gets and how much rain will fall....Those numbers will likely increase....

Agreed. At least it always seems like that's the case.

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Where's the Yamaha?

How'd you find the suspension on the cat?

Looks like a good time and trails :bc:

The Yamaha is in getting the primary rebuilt. I have a bit of servicing to to do to it when its back home as well. Winter came too damn fast...lol

Surprisingly, she loved the Doo. She was very impressed with how light it felt and how accurate the steering was. I see a Doo replacing the Yamaha soon, probably look at a 900.

I rode the LXR last season for 1000 kms. I much prefer the LXR shocks to the Floats. They may not be as good for slamming through moguls but they work great for cruising even though she's a big girl.

Trails were way better than we thought. Figured we do a quick 20 minute tour to scratch the itch and come home but these were not the typical early season trails for around here. They are 85% very good (flat with good snow cover and a firm base). Only the odd plowed field is a bit patchy and the bush trails have cover but not enough to last.

Great day

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Yamaha is in getting the primary rebuilt. I have a bit of servicing to to do to it when its back home as well. Winter came too damn fast...lol

Surprisingly, she loved the Doo. She was very impressed with how light it felt and how accurate the steering was. I see a Doo replacing the Yamaha soon, probably look at a 900.

I rode the LXR last season for 1000 kms. I much prefer the LXR shocks to the Floats. They may not be as good for slamming through moguls but they work great for cruising even though she's a big girl.

Trails were way better than we thought. Figured we do a quick 20 minute tour to scratch the itch and come home but these were not the typical early season trails for around here. They are 85% very good (flat with good snow cover and a firm base). Only the odd plowed field is a bit patchy and the bush trails have cover but not enough to last.

Great day

With the new coil overs on my sled I can't imagine every going back to floats. 

Just now, Reevester said:

With the new coil overs on my sled I can't imagine every going back to floats. 

My buddy just picked up a 16 Limited with the QS3's. I need to get out to his place and ride it.....lol...or maybe I shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My buddy just picked up a 16 Limited with the QS3's. I need to get out to his place and ride it.....lol...or maybe I shouldn't.

Mine has the new 1.5 zero rc fox. I already was beating it threw the moguls and they seem stout. They are compression and rebound adjustable. 

Edited by Reevester

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Great day

very nice!

That video shocked me......

........what was a black guy doing in Philosophy class?

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

I know it takes a special kind of person....but who rides along a trail on a sled, to stop or take the time to start bitching at someone walking their dog, taking a walk, just enjoying the outdoors, etc....

I know the flip side is there could be a disgruntled person using the trail that does not want the sled traffic, so they pick an argument with you......

I thought this was an interesting video from this morning that I saw on facecreep:

20 hours ago, Stoney said:

TWN now says 8 degrees and 10 mm of rain for Waterloo. Up 2 degrees from yesterday's forecast.  :thumbdown: