Check your account email address ×

Snowmobile news

More BS from the tree huggers in WI

http://www.channel3000.com/madison-magazine/opinion/state-continues-to-push-motor-uses-on-public-lands/643873475

State continues to push motor uses on public lands

DNR to revisit Blue Mound snowmobile trail

It’s no secret silent sports types in Wisconsin have been taking it on the chin.

From a new law making it harder for cities to build bicycle paths to erosion of public water protections, state policy has not trended ecofriendly over the past years.

And now the Department of Natural Resources is proposing to add more than 200 miles of trails for ATVs and other motorized off-road vehicles in the Northern Highland–American Legion State Forest in northern Wisconsin. That forest is home to some of the best wilderness camping and paddling in the state.

The Natural Resources Board, which sets DNR policy, is expected to decide the NH-AL's motorized fate when it meets Wednesday. The DNR plan for the state forest represents the latest effort to bring more intense uses to state parks and natural areas. This comes even as planners admit that promoting motorized vehicles could drive away those who visit for the peace and quiet.

Two recent court rulings against the DNR make the point that existing laws must be followed despite the politics of the day. And as it happens, both decisions came from a marathon-running judge who likes to watch birds while she gets her training in.

In one case, Dane County Circuit Court Judge Valerie Bailey-Rihn overturned a decision by the state Natural Resources Board to allow a snowmobile trail through Blue Mound State Park—which tends to be the snowiest place for cross-country skiing in southern Wisconsin.

The judge determined earlier this month that the DNR didn’t follow its own rules when planning to locate a snowmobile trail across the most scenic section of a popular Nordic ski trail. Snowmobiles have been banned from the park since the 1980s, with Blue Mound evolving into a quiet park for hiking, mountain biking and birdwatching.

Bailey-Rihn didn’t rule whether snowmobiles should be allowed or not but noted the DNR ignored the agency’s own classification system to determine compatible uses in a park.

“When agencies abandon their own procedures and argue that they do not apply to their actions, they act outside their discretion,” Bailey-Rihn wrote in her decision in a lawsuit filed last November on behalf of former park superintendent Karl Heil and village of Blue Mounds resident Ken Wade.

It’s the second time the court has questioned the move to add a snowmobile trail at Blue Mound State Park. An earlier ruling found the DNR board had violated open meetings law by discussing at a private dinner how to deal with opposition to the proposed trail. More than 200 people had submitted public comments against the snowmobile trail with only 12 in favor, according to court filings.

The DNR is still weighing its options at Blue Mound but one would suspect it will take another stab at the issue—even after the recent departure of DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp, a snowmobile enthusiast, for a job with the Trump Administration.

“This matter will likely come before the board again in a public meeting sometime in the unspecified future,” said DNR spokesman Jim Dick in an email. “We are reviewing the options for what that proposal will look like.”The Natural Resources Board will meet in closed session at its upcoming meeting Wednesday to discuss the lawsuit and the next steps.

Also on the DNR Board agenda Wednesday is a proposal to accept $85,000 from the Friends of Blue Mound Park for new handicapped accessible playground equipment. Most of that money was raised from participants in the Horrible Hilly Hundreds bike ride and a trail run held at the park.

Heil couldn’t help but note the irony of the DNR accepting a large donation from the same user group which has opposed the snowmobile trail.

“The friends group has been pouring tons of money into the park,” says Heil, adding he is not surprised the DNR would press on with a snowmobile trail over the wishes of its most devoted fans.

While the Blue Mound case has generated a lot of attention in the Madison area, a separate case that came before Judge Bailey-Rihn carries sweeping ramifications for state water policy. It could also impact those who enjoy paddling or fishing on Wisconsin’s wonderful lakes and streams.

In that case, Bailey-Rihn threw out permits for eight high-capacity wells in central Wisconsin that DNR scientists had warned would suck water from adjacent lakes and streams. The lawsuit was filed by the environmental group Clean Wisconsin.

The ruling from Bailey-Rihn was based on the Wisconsin’s “Public Trust Doctrine” a constitutional provision that says the state’s navigable waters and lakebeds must remain “forever free” for all to enjoy.

“This Court is bound by nearly 120 years of precedent and a long rich history in the state of respecting the Wisconsin Constitution and its fundamental protection of the waters of the state,” she wrote.

The well permit issue has been a hot one at the Capitol. Eight influential business groups joined the Department of Justice in defending the DNR in the lawsuit. Given the amount of money at stake, one would expect an appeal of this ruling, too.

That Judge Bailey-Rihn understands the importance of environmental protection isn’t surprising given her resume. She ran the Boston Marathon in 2009 and also enjoys scuba diving and bird watching. The judge even keeps a spotting scope in her eighth-floor office overlooking Lake Monona.

“There’s nothing better than pointing out great horned owls to people and barred owls and their chicks,” she told the Wisconsin State Journal in 2016. “I guess it’s the same reason I like to run. You go outside, you never know what you’re going to see.”

All rise for that.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I ride and no issue with some areas being off limits.  200 miles in NWI - WGAF - let the wilderness folks enjoy it.  Have to coexist because some treehugger might own some land that a snowmobile trail crosses and say :bigfinger: and we might be out several hundred or even more miles of trail. 

Edited by SnowRider

21 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

ATV trails are a cash cow. No money in back packs and granola bars.

They're tearing up the snowmobile trails. Just read on FB the other day how trails are all rutted up and a huge mess up in the NW Lower Peninsula 

6 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

They're tearing up the snowmobile trails. Just read on FB the other day how trails are all rutted up and a huge mess up in the NW Lower Peninsula 

Bullshit. They are double funded now. They get graded,culverts put in,and bridge repair with the ATV funding. A new 800k bridge just was put in west of me. 100% ATV funded. One of the busiest sled trails in the western UP. We didn't  have to brush the Trail this year because the ATV club already did it.

Edited by Woodtick

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Bullshit. They are double funded now. They get graded,culverts put in,and bridge repair with the ATV funding. A new 800k bridge just was put in west of me. 100% ATV funded. One of the busiest sled trails in the western UP.

Sounds like SxS and ATVs, dirt bikes are using a snowmobile trail system that hasn't been approved for them yet 

Pretty pathetic turn out for our trail brushing event.  Thank god 2 of my kids came to help otherwise it would been that much worse.  I'd like to thank personally Bill _____,  Mike ________,  John _________, Ted, Pat and the ladies that came out.

I don't even ride the groomed trails but I know how important it is to the local economy to have these trails in place. Just sad that so many use them but so few make it all possible.  

Didn't take many pictures as we had a lot of work to do.  The Side X Sides are destroying the 2 tracks sorry to say.  Those that know me know I do it all, bikes, Rangers, sleds.....but what is happening to the two tracks/snowmobile trails is unacceptable.  You can't even drive a pick up down the trails because of the wash board.  Our newly formed ORV club has plans to fix this but the money can't start flowing into the club until our trail is approved.  Once that happens grooming can start.....just can't come soon enough.

Next Sunday we'll do it all over again.

3 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Correct, some monies maybe be flowing from the atv groups to repair trails in the future, but only on public lands, NOT leased  seasonal snowmobile trails. MI does not have a permanent snowmobile trail system like other states, also other states make all users pay up. Watch for this next issue , fat tired bicycles  on the groomed trails , they have been very vocal at the state and local meetings.  The me(d)ia / dnr  just will  not cover the huge trespass issues of the non- motorized / non paying  klans  on the leased , gated snowmobile trails during off season. Land owners are getting super pissed, leo 's at the meetings sit with their heads down, as there is ZERO enforcement of off season trespass.

• Platinum Contributing Member
57 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

I ride and no issue with some areas being off limits.  200 miles in NWI - WGAF - let the wilderness folks enjoy it.  Have to coexist because some treehugger might own some land that a snowmobile trail crosses and say :bigfinger: and we might be out several hundred or even more miles of trail. 

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this but I agree.  :lol:  I see nothing wrong with an area designed solely for recreation other than OHV's.   Better that than have them want on all sled trails and asking for low speed limits on them all.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

is that not like  a corn field ? first decent snow the drag fills the ruts packs em in good to go . 

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this but I agree.  :lol:  I see nothing wrong with an area designed solely for recreation other than OHV's.   Better that than have them want on all sled trails and asking for low speed limits on them all.  

they do do this all the fucking time . they start with a section and want more and more . there is a reason they call them self progressives 

25 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

they do do this all the fucking time . they start with a section and want more and more . there is a reason they call them self progressives 

Man, we went to Hurley a few years back and stayed at the granola muncher in.  They had a vegetarian breakfast that we were clearly not welcome at by the other guests.  Defiantly staying there again!

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

is that not like  a corn field ? first decent snow the drag fills the ruts packs em in good to go . 

Not the same.   

My understanding is these shared trails get fixed by the ORV fund before the snowmobile season 

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

It appears to be the first , The trails have a few bumps in them and my trip was ruined thread.

Sounds to me like they did this one ass backwards.  ORVs shouldnt be on it if they haven't gotten the approval for the funds yet 

There is supposed to be no orv’s on the trails around my place but you see them out there all the time. If the DNR catches them they will be ticketed. 

31 minutes ago, Edmo said:

There is supposed to be no orv’s on the trails around my place but you see them out there all the time. If the DNR catches them they will be ticketed. 

You'd have to have them patrolling everyday on non ORV trails to try and get everyone.  There's not even DNR and LEOs available to make that happen 

5 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

If there is enough snow....rutts are never an issue.

45 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

:bc:

post-403514-0-52404400-1405568357.jpg

:lol:

24 minutes ago, BEANPOLE DAVE said:

If there is enough snow....rutts are never an issue.

Can't wait to rip this girl through her paces this winter.  Went back to a shorter track.   :bc: IMG_1295.thumb.jpg.038e1407caac7b25d1fc5a3ee521e8c6.jpgIMG_1296.thumb.jpg.b3d5fb08dd00757abfc6c5bac3a85736.jpg

• Like 2