Check your account email address ×

***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I enjoy a good martini. Straight up vodka with olives. Get your vegetable and fruit servings for the day all in one drink. Brilliant!

My mom drank Gin Martinis back in the day and she would always let me have an Olive or two.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I enjoy a good martini. Straight up vodka with olives. Get your vegetable and fruit servings for the day all in one drink. Brilliant!

I'd do the straight up vodka, but you can keep the olives. 

30 minutes ago, ckf said:

I'd do the straight up vodka, but you can keep the olives. 

I buy jars of olives and the pepperoncini, drain all the juice and fill the jars with vodka. Pop em in the fridge and have instant martinis when guests come over, or after a long day...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I buy jars of olives and the pepperoncini, drain all the juice and fill the jars with vodka. Pop em in the fridge and have instant martinis when guests come over, or after a long day...

I've never cared for olives. I prefer my alcohol neat. If ordering at a social gathering I'll get a Captain and Coke.  

17 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Went hiking/camping yesterday. No rain but sweet fuck it was muddy. 

Nice sunset tho.  :bc:

IMG_20190618_203307.jpg

Nice! Most people would have put the tree in the middle. You missed part of the rule of thirds though. Fucking Dolphin fans :lol:

• Like 1

• Gold Member
Just now, ckf said:

I've never cared for olives. I prefer my alcohol neat. If ordering at a social gathering I'll get a Captain and Coke.  

Nice! Most people would have put the tree in the middle. You missed the rule of thirds though. Fucking Dolphin fans :lol:

I was half drunk and stuffing my face with food, I think it came out well considering!  :lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I was half drunk and stuffing my face with food, I think it came out well considering!  :lol:

Yes you did, LOL.   I liked the pic, that's why I commented. You nailed the tree but the horizon line is in the middle.  Here are two examples of cropping to move away from the centered horizon.   I also bumped up the shadows a bit on the 2nd one and added a warming filter. 1k.jpg

1k2.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, ckf said:

Yes you did, LOL.   I liked the pic, that's why I commented. You nailed the tree but the horizon line is in the middle.  Here are two examples of cropping to move away from the centered horizon.   I also bumped up the shadows a bit on the 2nd one and added a warming filter. 1k.jpg

:bc:

31 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

:bc:

I know....useless photography tips.  Sometimes I just can't help myself. There is a kid in town that I've been trying to help for a couple of years. Rob used to try to help him too, but got discouraged when he kept posting pics with a centered and or tilted horizon. I kept after him about it, but now I'm getting discouraged.  He's still posting pics with centered and or tilted horizons. He wants to be a photographer, but keeps fucking up the simple things. I think he is doing pretty good with it locally, but he'll have to up his game if he wants to make it a full time career.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, ckf said:

I know....useless photography tips.  Sometimes I just can't help myself. There is a kid in town that I've been trying to help for a couple of years. Rob used to try to help him too, but got discouraged when he kept posting pics with a centered and or tilted horizon. I kept after him about it, but now I'm getting discouraged.  He's still posting pics with centered and or tilted horizons. He wants to be a photographer, but keeps fucking up the simple things. I think he is doing pretty good with it locally, but he'll have to up his game if he wants to make it a full time career.

That is a great tip and keep them coming...I love taking pictures but I’m terrible at it although I get lucky occasionally! :green:

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That is a great tip and keep them coming...I love taking pictures but I’m terrible at it although I get lucky occasionally! :green:

You've had some good ones too. Here's a short read on  the rule of thirds. I turn my grid on in my camera so t can try to get it right in the camera.

Rule of thirds

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rivertree_thirds_md.gif
This photograph demonstrates and shows the principles of the rule of thirds

The rule of thirds is a "rule of thumb" or guideline which applies to the process of composing visual images such as designs, films, paintings, and photographs.[1] The guideline proposes that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally spaced horizontal lines and two equally spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections.[2] Proponents of the technique claim that aligning a subject with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition than simply centering the subject.

The photograph to the right demonstrates the application of the rule of thirds. The horizon sits at the horizontal line dividing the lower third of the photo from the upper two-thirds. The tree sits at the intersection of two lines, sometimes called a power point[3] or a crash point[4]. Points of interest in the photo do not have to actually touch one of these lines to take advantage of the rule of thirds. For example, the brightest part of the sky near the horizon where the sun recently set does not fall directly on one of the lines, but does fall near the intersection of two of the lines, close enough to take advantage of the rule.

Use

The rule of thirds is applied by aligning a subject with the guide lines and their intersection points, placing the horizon on the top or bottom line, or allowing linear features in the image to flow from section to section. The main reason for observing the rule of thirds is to discourage placement of the subject at the center, or prevent a horizon from appearing to divide the picture in half. Michael Ryan and Melissa Lenos, authors of the book An Introduction to Film Analysis: Technique and Meaning in Narrative Film state that the use of rule of thirds is "favored by cinematographers in their effort to design balanced and unified images" (page 40).[5]

When filming or photographing people, it is common to line the body up to a vertical line and the person's eyes to a horizontal line. If filming a moving subject, the same pattern is often followed, with the majority of the extra room being in front of the person (the way they are moving).[6] Likewise, when photographing a still subject who is not directly facing the camera, the majority of the extra room should be in front of the subject with the vertical line running through their perceived center of mass.

650px-RuleOfThirds-SideBySide.gif

A picture cropped without and with the rule of thirds

• Thanks 1

Take a look at this pic from a local photographer. Similar to Brad's, he just caught the sunset a little earlier. Had Bradly not been drinking he might have caught it sooner too :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, ckf said:

By all means keep the tips coming. Never hurts to improve.  :bc:

• Like 1

Morning -

56 / 50 and clear.  Fire going and cup #2 tastes great. Missed group therapy last night so I called and talked with my mom for 45 min or so after din.  Always good talking with her especially in the later years knowing there might not be that many chances left.  Outside work today with a high of 76 and sunny..... perfect, 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ckf said:

Morning.  Cloudy and 63° to kick off Thursday. The forecast is calling for mostly cloudy with showers and downpours.

Sounds like MKE for the last month... Its been terrible unless you like 58 and cloudy?  Its been the opposite up here at the cabin for the last week or so.  Mornings around 50 and days in the mid 70's and sunny.  Of course my wife is coming up tonight and rain is in the forecast for the weekend lol....  

1 hour ago, jammin said:

Sounds like MKE for the last month... Its been terrible unless you like 58 and cloudy?  Its been the opposite up here at the cabin for the last week or so.  Mornings around 50 and days in the mid 70's and sunny.  Of course my wife is coming up tonight and rain is in the forecast for the weekend lol....  

Very cloudy and wet spring here too. This week has been our longest stretch of sunny days in a loooooooooong time.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I even turned on the AC to curb the humidity, may leave it on today too. I hate humidity!

Temps dropped enough here to not need the AC yet.

6 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I love these old ones. #croppicfuckstickckf.

4A5B2F8C-0C53-4C52-A65D-C6A99A7FCAB6.jpeg

I like the ones Ia little older than that one.

It freaking poured here today. We were out in it earlier and some of the back roads were washing out a bit. I'm assuming my rain gauge is plugged as it only shows .02" today.