Check your account email address ×

New(er) car needed for the wife.

irv

3 minutes ago, irv said:

The one I test drove today came from Enterprise. It was in mint shape and the dealer told me they won't except damaged or branded/repaired vehicles. My thought is, which somewhat alleviates my worries, is that it's not very likely any young yahoos rented this car and drive the piss out of it. Without warranty, however, it would definitely make me think twice. 

Also noticed, during our search, it seems that every swinging dick in the new/used car dealerships are selling these vehicles (used rentals) Ford, Hyundai, Kia, to name a few, all have a variety of these cars for sale on their lots? :dunno:

A few years ago, new car dealers would send a lot of used cars to the auctions because they weren't interested in dealing with used cars. 

Around here, the "off" brands (Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, etc.) would pick up very nice used cars and peddle them on their lots too.  Still do a bit. 

They have since figured out how much you can make selling them and now the ok cars at the auctions end up at the buy here/pay here lots.  

8 minutes ago, irv said:

The one I test drove today came from Enterprise. It was in mint shape and the dealer told me they won't except damaged or branded/repaired vehicles. My thought is, which somewhat alleviates my worries, is that it's not very likely any young yahoos rented this car and drive the piss out of it. Without warranty, however, it would definitely make me think twice. 

Also noticed, during our search, it seems that every swinging dick in the new/used car dealerships are selling these vehicles (used rentals) Ford, Hyundai, Kia, to name a few, all have a variety of these cars for sale on their lots? :dunno:

Irv,

They most likely picked them up from lease auctions like Adesa.  Nothing wrong with that, just know the source.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

A few years ago, new car dealers would send a lot of used cars to the auctions because they weren't interested in dealing with used cars. 

Around here, the "off" brands (Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, etc.) would pick up very nice used cars and peddle them on their lots too.  Still do a bit. 

They have since figured out how much you can make selling them and now the ok cars at the auctions end up at the buy here/pay here lots.  

I talked to a friend today, who I have used for years when it comes to GM vehicles, (he's a top rated GM salesman) and he stated exactly that. He also told me, as I asked him if he could find me an Impala, that they are getting tougher and tougher to find as, if they sit any longer than a week on the lot, they are shipped to the U.S. Their lot had over 150 trucks waiting to shipped to the states, and they are only one dealer! The CDN dollar is in the crapper again, and has been, so the prices realized, on both sides of the border, make it a win/win. 

My wife, who works at GM, said vehicles in the states are selling at 4-5X the rate than what they are selling for up here in Canada. Huge demand equals huge exports I guess?

1 minute ago, irv said:

I talked to a friend today, who I have used for years when it comes to GM vehicles, (he's a top rated GM salesman) and he stated exactly that. He also told me, as I asked him if he could find me an Impala, that they are getting tougher and tougher to find as, if they sit any longer than a week on the lot, they are shipped to the U.S. Their lot had over 150 trucks waiting to shipped to the states, and they are only one dealer! The CDN dollar is in the crapper again, and has been, so the prices realized, on both sides of the border, make it a win/win. 

My wife, who works at GM, said vehicles in the states are selling at 4-5X the rate than what they are selling for up here in Canada. Huge demand equals huge exports I guess?

One of the GM dealers in the area will buy rental Mustangs by the transport load.  Kind of funny to see a whole row of them out front at a GM dealer or a trio of Ram 3500 dualies at the Subaru dealer.  

I remember when we were buying our Malibu, one dealer we were at had a dozen Saabs, all "traded in" that week.  That whole part of the state has probably never had a dozen Saabs in it before that, ever.  

16 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

One of the GM dealers in the area will buy rental Mustangs by the transport load.  Kind of funny to see a whole row of them out front at a GM dealer or a trio of Ram 3500 dualies at the Subaru dealer.  

I remember when we were buying our Malibu, one dealer we were at had a dozen Saabs, all "traded in" that week.  That whole part of the state has probably never had a dozen Saabs in it before that, ever.  

It's definitely a changing world out there! Not that many years ago, you'd never see a competitor's car on the lot, let alone a whole slew of them. I'd really like to know what these dealers are paying for these former rental vehicles? I'm guessing it is quite lucrative if so many are doing it? We looked again today and concluded we are going to be in and around the 30K mark for what we want. Most have just under 20,000K or just over, but most are $15 to $20K cheaper. I was just doing some reading again and it is confusing what all comes with the premier. States options are different than Canada's, that is for sure. One link stated, if you get the safety pkg, you get all the features like blind side alert, lane departure, etc, but in another, it read, that if you wanted the forward collision alert warning, you needed another pkg? Another link/site lead us to believe if you get the Premier you also get the 11 spk Bose system but yet another states that is also an option? It gets confusing!

Regardless, they sound like a great vehicle and rate real high with others. The safety features/car safety gets a 5 out of 5, which is not common. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/impala      https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/impala/2017 We have found 3 we are currently interested in, we just have to compare the options/feaures then decide. Mother wants Black, which I also like, but I'd also be happy with silver or white. Saying that, we haven't found a white premier yet though.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:37 AM, Rigid1 said:

I was truck shopping last week..Fuck the salesmen are morons, their lines of BS are astounding.

So glad I don't have to deal with fuck head car salesmen. Much nicer having a personal friend who owns the dealership, to deal with. 

On 8/29/2017 at 10:14 AM, Snoslinger said:

imo $42 is still outrageous for a truck. my expedition cost 33K back in 2003, and now they're in the 50s.

Um, it's called inflation 

On 8/29/2017 at 10:16 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

My F150 was 33k CAD 2010.

First Ford truck I bought was a '00 F150 SCab.  Was an XLT Off Road (they weren't called FX4 back then) Had pretty much everything but leather  with My A plan and tax it was just under $30K OTD  That same truck today is $45-$48K 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, irv said:

It's definitely a changing world out there! Not that many years ago, you'd never see a competitor's car on the lot, let alone a whole slew of them. I'd really like to know what these dealers are paying for these former rental vehicles? I'm guessing it is quite lucrative if so many are doing it? We looked again today and concluded we are going to be in and around the 30K mark for what we want. Most have just under 20,000K or just over, but most are $15 to $20K cheaper. I was just doing some reading again and it is confusing what all comes with the premier. States options are different than Canada's, that is for sure. One link stated, if you get the safety pkg, you get all the features like blind side alert, lane departure, etc, but in another, it read, that if you wanted the forward collision alert warning, you needed another pkg? Another link/site lead us to believe if you get the Premier you also get the 11 spk Bose system but yet another states that is also an option? It gets confusing!

Regardless, they sound like a great vehicle and rate real high with others. The safety features/car safety gets a 5 out of 5, which is not common. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/impala      https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/chevrolet/impala/2017 We have found 3 we are currently interested in, we just have to compare the options/feaures then decide. Mother wants Black, which I also like, but I'd also be happy with silver or white. Saying that, we haven't found a white premier yet though.

I have a friend who used to own a Ford dealership, now he is a wholesaler. He doesn't retail anything. He buys from where ever he can find then flips them through the auction. Twice in the last year he has bought 25-30 rental cars at a time. He then sends 4-5 per week to a local auction. He says there's good money in it but you have to have cash to play the game.

23 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

So glad I don't have to deal with fuck head car salesmen. Much nicer having a personal friend who owns the dealership, to deal with. 

I miss being able to just go online click what I wanted then call the dealer who was a friend to go get it. I'd still be buying there if his dealership didn't close. 

I have owned impalas since 2005. Anyway wife and parents were in a bad accident when someone blew thru a stop sign at about 30 mph. Right in the door post. They had to cut my wife out of the car. No one was hurt, not even a scratch. I like the impalas

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

I miss being able to just go online click what I wanted then call the dealer who was a friend to go get it. I'd still be buying there if his dealership didn't close. 

Its nice to not have to deal with  shit heads :bc: I don't mind driving 80 miles one way to not have to deal with BS.  

1 hour ago, snowblind said:

I have owned impalas since 2005. Anyway wife and parents were in a bad accident when someone blew thru a stop sign at about 30 mph. Right in the door post. They had to cut my wife out of the car. No one was hurt, not even a scratch. I like the impalas

As a bonus, they still have an excellent safety rating. I was, as was my wife, glad to hear that, especially knowing our 16 will be driving it occasionally and likely more often as he gets older and gets his full time license. https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2017-Chevrolet-Impala/safety-ratings/   https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/impala/2017/safety/   https://www.autobytel.com/chevrolet/impala/2017/safety/

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, Angry ginger said:

as much as it's fun to pick on the subie drivers they really are good vehicles.  

my wife came home with a new outback this yr . so far she has not stopped using the razor

it is a pretty nice car and a lot less than she spent on the last 2 benz she bought . it has some real cool self driving shit in it .I have to admit I still jump in the old benz that we have had around for over 10 yrs because I don't like being seen in the outback lol . 

IMHO if your wife wants a reasonable cost used mid size suv   the kia sportage has been a proven runner  . people getting big mi out of them with very little cost to keep up .

no matter which model Chevy stick with the v6. I drove 58 miles one way to work for 12 years 30-32 mpg on the thruway. Coworker bought a 4 cylinder Malibu and got 25 mpg. They are underpowered. My 08 impala had 198,000 miles when I sold it. Main thing with them are wheel bearings and heater regulators

2 minutes ago, snowblind said:

no matter which model Chevy stick with the v6. I drove 58 miles one way to work for 12 years 30-32 mpg on the thruway. Coworker bought a 4 cylinder Malibu and got 25 mpg. They are underpowered. My 08 impala had 198,000 miles when I sold it. Main thing with them are wheel bearings and heater regulators

I was leaning pretty hard towards the 2.5 and when we took one for a test ride the other day, even my wife was surprised, but after having driven the 3.6 yesterday, I have quickly changed my mind. I think the 2.5 would be adequate for her driving back and forth to work but with negligible mpg ratings, especially hwy, it will be nice to have that power when needed. I also noticed the car ran quieter as you didn't have to get into as hard. The difference between the entry level LT and the Premier was night and day.  

memory is going. The 2008 impala I did cook the transmission. The 03, 05 and 2013 were good only wheel bearings and heater resistor. When I drove the 08 it was usually 75-80 mph. They do good in the winter as I would at least do the speed limit when snowing unless I couldn't see. I live in lake effect country and only took the suburban once or twice a year when it was really bad

5 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Um, it's called inflation 

First Ford truck I bought was a '00 F150 SCab.  Was an XLT Off Road (they weren't called FX4 back then) Had pretty much everything but leather  with My A plan and tax it was just under $30K OTD  That same truck today is $45-$48K 

LOL my first ford was my 2nd car . it was a brand new 2 yr old hold over courier sundowner . it cost me my whole summer pay for working on the old mans salmon gill net boat in AK it was 4600.00 otd . not exactly sure what made it a sundowner I assume it was the leaky sunroof and cheesy sun that its rays turned in to a strip down the whole side . very 70s . I thought I was big shit at 17 buying my own brand new car . even if it was a vinyl bench with AM and a stick.

18 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Isn't that the truth!! The only issue with that is I would feel bad getting an new vehicle from someone else.  We just replaced our pickup and I would have liked to get the F150, but Mike only has GM.  The silverado is a nice truck, but I really wanted to go with the F150.  He did give us $20K in trade for our 10 y/o truck - it had 23K miles is all.  :bc:

I went and purchased this one today. A 2017 Black Chev Impala Premier with the 3.6 engine. (20,210KM's) Hard to imagine a Ford dealer had the best prices but it was definitely worth the hour drive. Right front wheel/rim is scuffed so they are swapping it out with another one from another car (They have 4 Impalas) and that's about it on this one. It is in real nice shape, both inside and out and rides like a dream. I can't pick it up until Wednesday due to the safety and license dealios but I am glad to say our search is over. Thanks for all the help/info, guys. I appreciate it. :bc:

WP_20171104_12_42_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_44_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_44_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_44_55_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, irv said:

I went and purchased this one today. A 2017 Black Chev Impala Premier with the 3.6 engine. (20,210KM's) Hard to imagine a Ford dealer had the best prices but it was definitely worth the hour drive. Right front wheel/rim is scuffed so they are swapping it out with another one from another car (They have 4 Impalas) and that's about it on this one. It is in real nice shape, both inside and out and rides like a dream. I can't pick it up until Wednesday due to the safety and license dealios but I am glad to say our search is over. Thanks for all the help/info, guys. I appreciate it. :bc:

WP_20171104_12_42_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_43_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_44_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_44_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20171104_12_44_55_Pro.jpg

Nice Irv! That damn steering wheel tho....wtf

1 minute ago, yami123 said:

Nice Irv! That damn steering wheel tho....wtf

I've read about people complaining/disliking them but I really can't figure out what the issue(s) are? Mind you, this one isn't heated, which surprises me in this type of car, but it is leather wrapped and feels pretty comfortable. I do wish, however, that it tilted down a little bit more as these teach/make you drive/steer with your hands on your knees. 

13 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Very nice.:bc:

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Nice ride irv! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! Mother is bouncing off the walls in anticipation of getting it. :bounce: