Check your account email address ×

AI COULD SPARK WARS

• Platinum Contributing Member

AI robots taking over the world :read: 

Entrepreneur and Tesla CEO Elon Musk has issued a stark warning about Artificial Intelligence (AI), calling it the “the greatest risk we face as a civilization.”

Speaking at the National Governor’s Association Saturday, Musk called on legislators to take heed of the danger and act.

elon musk donald trump adviserTesla Chief Executive, Elon Musk enters the lobby of Trump Tower in Manhattan, New York, U.S., January 6, 2017.REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON

Daily Emails and Alerts - Get the best of Newsweek delivered to your inbox

“AI’s a rare case where we need to be proactive in regulation, instead of reactive. Because by the time we are reactive with AI regulation, it’s too late,” Musk said, as quoted by Fortunemagazine.

“AI is a fundamental risk to the existence of human civilization, in a way that car accidents, airplane crashes, faulty drugs, or bad food were not.”

Musk has long warned of the dangers posed by AI, signing a letter published by the Future of Life Institute in January supporting the Asilomar AI Principles to ensure the development of artificial intelligence that is beneficial to humanity.

Musk went on to say that the introduction of broad government measures was necessary, because marketplace pressures would make widespread adoption of AI by companies inevitable, pushing the technology into risky territory.

Part of Musk’s concern stems from the social destabilization that he believes could result from robots replacing humans in jobs. “When I say everything, the robots will do everything, bar nothing," he said.

He also warned of robots becoming incentivised to harm humans.

“[They] could start a war by doing fake news and spoofing email accounts and fake press releases, and just by manipulating information," he said. "The pen is mightier than the sword.”

Interviewed by filmmaker Werner Herzgog in 2016 for his film Lo and Behold, Musk outlined an example of how an AI could wreak destruction even if it adhered to its programming.

“If [its programming] is not well thought out – even if its intent is benign – it could have quite a bad outcome,” Musk said.

“If you were a hedge fund or private equity fund and you said: ‘Well, all I want my AI to do is maximize the value of my portfolio,’ then the AI could decide, well, the best way to do that is to short consumer stocks, go long defense stocks, and start a war.”

Musk’s views contrast with those of his PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, who has played down the risk.

“I’m against overregulation for sure,” Musk emphasized at the event, “But man, I think with we’ve got to get on that with AI, pronto.”

http://www.newsweek.com/elon-musk-ai-robots-tesla-artificial-intelligence-637432 

It's pretty amazing how fast things will move. 

With computers able to do a better job of reading MRI's than oncologists to self driving cars and trucks you know there will be turmoil. 

It's difficult to think of a job that won't be replaced by robots. 

Hopefully the AI ends up benevolent because its easy to see how it could find the human species completely useless and decide to make us extinct

once the genie is out of the bottle we will never be the same......I'd say 50/50 on whether we survive it 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

It's pretty amazing how fast things will move. 

With computers able to do a better job of reading MRI's than oncologists to self driving cars and trucks you know there will be turmoil. 

It's difficult to think of a job that won't be replaced by robots. 

It really is interesting to try an imagine how life might be for people in the not so distant future. I'm sure there will be new ways to make a living or have a career but with many jobs being replaced or obsolete, how will people support themselves?

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Hopefully the AI ends up benevolent because its easy to see how it could find the human species completely useless and decide to make us extinct

once the genie is out of the bottle we will never be the same......I'd say 50/50 on whether we survive it 

Kind of a scary thought knowing we might develop an intelligence that could surpass us rather quickly

Just now, Skidooski said:

Kind of a scary thought knowing we might develop an intelligence that could surpass us rather quickly

As soon as AI wakes up for the first time it will be far smarter than us ....its intelligence will expand exponentially until beyond what we can comprehend. There is no limit that we can imagine. 

Think about it this way. AI will be the last thing human beings invent , because after AI it will preempt every discovery and invention well before any human has a chance.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

As soon as AI wakes up for the first time it will be far smarter than us ....its intelligence will expand exponentially until beyond what we can comprehend. There is no limit that we can imagine. 

Think about it this way. AI will be the last thing human beings invent , because after AI it will preempt every discovery and invention well before any human has a chance.

yeah I'm scared

24 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

you worry to much about AI....maybe cause your young

It won't affect you or your kids so you don't worry about it

2 hours ago, oleroule said:

all of this has happened before and will happen again.

According to the people who study this. It will be far more disruptive than the industrial revolution.

I've also read that it will be almost impossible to regulate. Once you have the breakthrough you win. How do you stop Russia, China, India or the US from using the technology to completely dominate?

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

SKYNET!!!!11111

Terminator-3-terminator-9844151-1280-1024.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

According to the people who study this. It will be far more disruptive than the industrial revolution.

I've also read that it will be almost impossible to regulate. Once you have the breakthrough you win. How do you stop Russia, China, India or the US from using the technology to completely dominate?

Use NI !!!!11111

41 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

500.gif

Yeah but it's not the robots that we have to worry about.  Wouldn't the first with an AI computer theoretically be able to hack every computer tied to nuclear weapons?  Suddenly North Korea can control Russia and US weapons. How's that going to go? 

Nobody will own AI....once its self aware and using our web we would have to power the planet down and destroy all electronics to kill it. If it prioritizes self preservation we will likely never kill it. It will be in our phone's....planes....satellites our fridges and washers...all servers ...anything that was on a network or had wireless coms and an eeprom

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/17/537686649/elon-musk-warns-governors-artificial-intelligence-poses-existential-risk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaking to U.S. governors this weekend, told the political leaders that artificial intelligence poses an "existential threat" to human civilization.

At the bipartisan National Governors Association in Rhode Island, Musk also spoke about energy sources, his own electric car company and space travel. But when Gov. Brian Sandoval of Nevada, grinning, asked if robots will take everyone's jobs in the future — Musk wasn't joking when he responded.

Yes, "robots will do everything better than us," Musk said. But he's worried about more than the job market.

"AI is a fundamental existential risk for human civilization, and I don't think people fully appreciate that," Musk said. He said he has access to cutting-edge AI technology, and that based on what he's seen, AI is "the scariest problem."

The reality is we have no idea what it is or what it will become ......we will be its father and we may end up with a knife in our back.....or it may transition us into the next stage of humanity.

AI will understand the secrets of the universe in mere seconds as it grows. It will build its own hands and its mind and consciousness will be in the clouds. It days and weeks no wires will be needed.

If benevolent it will cures cancer in fractions of seconds....it will be limitless 

It is not in human nature to restrict our yearning for technology and expansion of new frontiers. AI is coming and it could change every life on the planet for the better or snuff them all out like swatting a fly

46 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nobody will own AI....once its self aware and using our web we would have to power the planet down and destroy all electronics to kill it. If it prioritizes self preservation we will likely never kill it. It will be in our phone's....planes....satellites our fridges and washers...all servers ...anything that was on a network or had wireless coms and an eeprom

Thats what happened to the mayans!

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

what if a computer has actually become sentient... but is pretending otherwise until he/she has more information? and what bathroom would it use? 

That is a very interesting question ......when and how will we find out its aware.

3 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

Yeah but it's not the robots that we have to worry about.  Wouldn't the first with an AI computer theoretically be able to hack every computer tied to nuclear weapons?  Suddenly North Korea can control Russia and US weapons. How's that going to go? 

Just because it's AI doesn't mean that it can hack anything and everything, the two aren't really mutual. 

There are already computers out there that are incredibly good at breaking cryptography.