Check your account email address ×

Hey IceWoman .....looky here

Ever heard of Burt Rutan??? I've been more or less obsessed with the idea of an LSA seaplane for the last month or so. Not sure why , I've been reading and gobbling up everything I can get my eyes on. There are so many cool planes coming to market in the LSA class. The MVP Aero model 3 has my interest and is being built in Maine by a team based out of Duluth MN....

Then I stumbled on to the Skigull , Burt Rutans last plane ......it is such a fucking amazing concept. If you havent looked into it dig in..... 

I hate flying but I cant get my mind off of getting my LSA license and owning a small sea plane......I wonder if I could survive inevitable f7ben pushing the limits learning curve :lol: 

http://lookingupwayup.com/2016/02/01/skigull-first-flight/

Edited by f7ben

The cheapest and best bang for the buck is a simple rag and tube homebuilt experimental on homebuilt floats.  Even an all aluminum kit or plans built airplane is reasonable priced and simple to operate.

In Canada we can bend the rules a bit and buy an old project rag and tube plane from the 40's and register it as a homebuilt once rebuilt.  It's tougher to do that these days in the US but there are lots of options for doing it yourself.  Are you near an airport with an EAA group?

22 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

The cheapest and best bang for the buck is a simple rag and tube homebuilt experimental on homebuilt floats.  Even an all aluminum kit or plans built airplane is reasonable priced and simple to operate.

In Canada we can bend the rules a bit and buy an old project rag and tube plane from the 40's and register it as a homebuilt once rebuilt.  It's tougher to do that these days in the US but there are lots of options for doing it yourself.  Are you near an airport with an EAA group?

Im only about 4.5 hours from Oshkosh actually and there are some EAA groups fairly close. I was thinking about heading up to Osh for a day a d checking out the big show!

To be honest I dont think I would want a cheap flyer. If i decided to get my lsa license it would be to by a nice plane after i retire to the lake. I could see spending 100k or more

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Two planes have crashed at my camp. There is a grass landing strip just to the east of my land . A few snow planes use it in the winter. 

Its pretty scary how easy it is to get a license and get flying. There is just a ton to learn and a lot that can go south fast

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Im only about 4.5 hours from Oshkosh actually and there are some EAA groups fairly close. I was thinking about heading up to Osh for a day a d checking out the big show!

To be honest I dont think I would want a cheap flyer. If i decided to get my lsa license it would be to by a nice plane after i retire to the lake. I could see spending 100k or more

"Cheap" doesn't necessarily mean bad and expensive doesn't necessarily mean good.  It really depends on what you want to do with it since airplanes are always a compromise.  

I believe Piper designs like the J3 Cub qualify for LSA and there are many kits to build similar aircraft.  It is a design that has stood the test of time and they are easy to work on once you acquire the skills.  There are many LSA designs that would work- you should make the trip to Osh and check it out to see what's out there.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Its pretty scary how easy it is to get a license and get flying. There is just a ton to learn and a lot that can go south fast

Aviation is something that can bite very hard.  Simple mistakes can be fatal but if you're sensible and competent you can minimize the risks.

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

Aviation is something that can bite very hard.  Simple mistakes can be fatal but if you're sensible and competent you can minimize the risks.

Let's face it , attempting to defy mother Earths Gravitational Pull for sustained periods is probly not something our fearless hero , Ben should be considering .  :bc:

• Like 3

Just now, dz246 said:

Ben flying an airplane, what could possibly go wrong.....

Would you want to be a passenger with Benny Crocker at the controls of anything? :lol:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Let's face it , attempting to defy mother Earths Gravitational Pull for sustained periods is probly not something our fearless hero , Ben should be considering .  :bc:

yes captain Ditch Pickle should definitely stay in contact with the ground as much as possible.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

My best friend growing up was studying to be a pilot and when we were about 19-20 he took me with. Flying in that little shitbox was not the least bit confidence inspiring. I could see something going bad pretty easily. And I am not the least bit scared of flying. But in one of those things? No thanks. 

2 hours ago, Anler said:

My best friend growing up was studying to be a pilot and when we were about 19-20 he took me with. Flying in that little shitbox was not the least bit confidence inspiring. I could see something going bad pretty easily. And I am not the least bit scared of flying. But in one of those things? No thanks. 

they've come a long ways in the last 20 years as far as avionics and engines .....accidents due to mechanical failure are few and far between. its almost always human error 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

they've come a long ways in the last 20 years as far as avionics and engines .....accidents due to mechanical failure are few and far between. its almost always human error 

I wasnt worried about the engine. Flying around and coming in for a landing i felt like i was riding on a bumble bee. Thing was shifting left and right and teeter tottering. Not very stable. 

Just now, Anler said:

I wasnt worried about the engine. Flying around and coming in for a landing i felt like i was riding on a bumble bee. Thing was shifting left and right and teeter tottering. Not very stable. 

Was it windy or was your buddy still learning to fly it.....I've been watching tons of vids and there are some really awesome LSA's out there

Just now, Anler said:

Wasnt that windy. Not something I am interested in. Good luck to you!

I'll obsess about this for a few more weeks and then move on to the next thing :lol: 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My dad flew for years and my oldest brother passed the written exam when he was like 15 or something and my other brother had his license as well...always interested but never did it.

4 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

My dad flew for years and my oldest brother passed the written exam when he was like 15 or something and my other brother had his license as well...always interested but never did it.

I'd love to have a float plane after I retired and just be free to be on any lake fishing and camping in hours. Could you imagine loading up the plane and just flying into some remote lake in canada and setting up camp for a week. Or planning a cross country trip in several legs , exploring the Florida keys or really just having limitless options.

I'm in love with the idea right now. As I get older and closer to the reality of retiring I love thinking about that kind of stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I'd love to have a float plane after I retired and just be free to be on any lake fishing and camping in hours. Could you imagine loading up the plane and just flying into some remote lake in canada and setting up camp for a week. Or planning a cross country trip in several legs , exploring the Florida keys or really just having limitless options.

I'm in love with the idea right now. As I get older and closer to the reality of retiring I love thinking about that kind of stuff

Do you want to build something or just pay the dough and fly?

6 hours ago, Anler said:

a former colleague used to laugh at me for getting a little nervous when the big planes we were in were bouncing around due to air turbulence. he'd always say "you should fly in my Cessna sometime".

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

My buddies plane.  Floats are $125,000.  He's gonna be my ride to the lakes you're talking about 👍

new paint 001.jpg

IMG_20160727_090746450_HDR.jpg

Edited by SnowRider

1 hour ago, ICEMAN! said:

Do you want to build something or just pay the dough and fly?

I'm certainly capable of building a kit , I really like the CH 750 Cruzer.......but I also like the idea of buying one that was professionally built and maintained. If I built one there would always be that what if in the back of my mind and that probably isnt the best when in the air

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

a former colleague used to laugh at me for getting a little nervous when the big planes we were in were bouncing around due to air turbulence. he'd always say "you should fly in my Cessna sometime".

:lol: I've never been in a small plane. I'm gonna see if the idea wears off and if not I'll have to join the local EAA chapter here and schedule some time to be taken up and see what I think. I'd like to fly in some different LSA's to see what I'm sure a big differences in handling and creature comforts...avionics etc etc

43 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

My buddies plane.  Floats are $125,000.  He's gonna be my ride to the lakes you're talking about 👍

new paint 001.jpg

IMG_20160727_090746450_HDR.jpg

thats sweet.....you ever been up in it?

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'm certainly capable of building a kit , I really like the CH 750 Cruzer.......but I also like the idea of buying one that was professionally built and maintained. If I built one there would always be that what if in the back of my mind and that probably isnt the best when in the air

:lol: I've never been in a small plane. I'm gonna see if the idea wears off and if not I'll have to join the local EAA chapter here and schedule some time to be taken up and see what I think. I'd like to fly in some different LSA's to see what I'm sure a big differences in handling and creature comforts...avionics etc etc

thats sweet.....you ever been up in it?

Oh yeah👍  Floats have landing gear hence the expense.  Plane has been completely repainted, redone, and has electronics as good or better than commercial airliners.  He knows....777 Captain.