Check your account email address ×

Hey IceWoman .....looky here

6 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Oh yeah👍  Floats have landing gear hence the expense.  Plane has been completely repainted, redone, and has electronics as good or better than commercial airliners.  He knows....777 Captain.

Are you saying just the floats were 125k??? That is insane 

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yep....you're looking at about a $500,000 plane.  

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Yep....you're looking at about a $500,000 plane.  

Very cool....I'll be living at the lake when I return to MN .....I could be well into canada in under an hour at cruise speeds. There is literally so much water in Northern MN and SW Ontario that you could never explore it all 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Very cool....I'll be living at the lake when I return to MN .....I could be well into canada in under an hour at cruise speeds. There is literally so much water in Northern MN and SW Ontario that you could never explore it all 

When are you moving back?  Just got back from my annual fishing trip north of Ignace.  

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Not really my bidness but I've always been curious as to whether or not you kept the house up there ?  :bc:

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Certified floats for certified airplanes are stupid money.  Why?  A couple of reasons- because they can, the insurance industry and the lengthy and costly process to go through the FAA to get the floats approved for various makes/models of airplanes.  The Wipline amphibious floats my buddy put under his 182 were $80,000.

This is where the experimental/homebuilt/LSA world wins because they aren't subject to the same regulations.

1 hour ago, SnowRider said:

When are you moving back?  Just got back from my annual fishing trip north of Ignace.  

plan is to pay off my house down here and the one in MN in the next 5 years. After that I'll be free to pull the plug anytime I like. I'll have a nice nest egg in cash and the 401....my home in MN will be a rental and I'll probably buy 2 more rental properties to generate some passive income. I'll work part time and do as I please the rest of the time. Thats the plan anyways.

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Not really my bidness but I've always been curious as to whether or not you kept the house up there ?  :bc:

Yes kept the house....not gonna sell it. My middle brother lives there right now and eventually I'll turn it into and Up/Down rental...should generate $1000 month cleared

19 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Certified floats for certified airplanes are stupid money.  Why?  A couple of reasons- because they can, the insurance industry and the lengthy and costly process to go through the FAA to get the floats approved for various makes/models of airplanes.  The Wipline amphibious floats my buddy put under his 182 were $80,000.

This is where the experimental/homebuilt/LSA world wins because they aren't subject to the same regulations.

Thats insanity.....did you check out the Full Lotus setups? Man are those sweet and the 1450# amphibs are under 10g's

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

plan is to pay off my house down here and the one in MN in the next 5 years. After that I'll be free to pull the plug anytime I like. I'll have a nice nest egg in cash and the 401....my home in MN will be a rental and I'll probably buy 2 more rental properties to generate some passive income. I'll work part time and do as I please the rest of the time. Thats the plan anyways.

Yes kept the house....not gonna sell it. My middle brother lives there right now and eventually I'll turn it into and Up/Down rental...should generate $1000 month cleared

Thats insanity.....did you check out the Full Lotus setups? Man are those sweet and the 1450# amphibs are under 10g's

I've seen the Full Lotus floats in vids and stuff but never actually seen a set under an airplane.

Maybe @AKIQPilot has?

There are conventional straight and amphibious floats available from Zenith in kit or factory built.  I'd probably go this way myself.  There's something about inflatable floats that weird me out.

http://www.zenairfloats.com/prices.html

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Damn dude that is a helluva plan....for such a bipolar big nose fucker you sure have your shit together! :lol::bc:

Edited by Biggie Smails

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

I've seen the Full Lotus floats in vids and stuff but never actually seen a set under an airplane.

Maybe @AKIQPilot has?

There are conventional straight and amphibious floats available from Zenith in kit or factory built.  I'd probably go this way myself.  There's something about inflatable floats that weird me out.

I looked at those a bit but the ability to land those lotus on snow and ice or mud and wet grass etc etc.....also the cushion they provide for rough water would be great. I was reading some forums and one fellow had a power loss on take off and had to put it down hard and claimed that he wouldnt have walked away unscathed if it werent for the 10" air cushion under him. Just being able to beach the lotus without worrying about ripping a whole in the aluminum floats on a sharp rock etc etc.

Also if you puncture a bladder you can still get off the water...there are 8 separate ones per float. 

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Damn dude that is a helluva plan....for such a bipolar big nose fucker you sure have your shit together! :lol::bc:

Its just my latest plan....and big nose fucker plans are always subject to change :lol: by next week I'l be obsessing over a new GTR or some stupid shit and I'll probably be down here in Inianastan until they shovel dirt in my face 

A guys gotta have a plan though.....and mixing in a little pipe dreaming with that plan is a great way to look forward !!!!!!!!!1111

• Like 2

Just now, f7ben said:

Its just my latest plan....and big nose fucker plans are always subject to change :lol: by next week I'l be obsessing over a new GTR or some stupid shit and I'll probably be down here in Inianastan until they shovel dirt in my face 

A guys gotta have a plan though.....and mixing in a little pipe dreaming with that plan is a great way to look forward !!!!!!!!!1111

:lol: :thumb:

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:salute:

4 hours ago, ICEMAN! said:

Maybe @AKIQPilot has?

I've only seen the Full Lotus floats on experimentals, not sure if they are STC'd for General Aviation aircraft.  I don't think that matters to Ben being he is wanting an EXP anyway.  

16 hours ago, Anler said:

My best friend growing up was studying to be a pilot and when we were about 19-20 he took me with. Flying in that little shitbox was not the least bit confidence inspiring. I could see something going bad pretty easily. And I am not the least bit scared of flying. But in one of those things? No thanks. 

Same feeling I had riding in my friend's project C3 Vette.  

7 hours ago, SnowRider said:

My buddies plane.  Floats are $125,000.  He's gonna be my ride to the lakes you're talking about 👍

new paint 001.jpg

IMG_20160727_090746450_HDR.jpg

Very very nice plane for sure but you may be a little off on the value.  Those appear to be EDO 3500 Amphibs.  A perfect set of EDO 3500 Amphibs with all the 185 rigging are worth about $20-$25k.  A brand spanking new set of composite Aerocet 3400 Amphibs with 185 rigging are $79k.  There is no finer set of floats on the planet than the Aerocets.  

That is a very nice late model C185. From the picture I can tell it has the 300HP Continental motor, it has the 3525# gross weight increase, WingX extensions, Hartzell prop and decent radios.  Depending on the hours TT and SMOH/SNEW that plane is worth between $175,000 and $225,000 with the floats and wheels.  Obviously log books and Total Time could bring that price down a little but my guess is it's valued somewhere around $200k as seen in the pictures.

That is still a very nice, bad ass airplane.  Considered the F250 of the air.  Everyone with $5million in the bank should have one of those sitting in front of his lakehouse. :bc: