Check your account email address ×

michigan school shooter's father guilty on 4 manslaughter charges

• Platinum Contributing Member

The mother was already charged. First parents to be held responsible for their kids killing spree I believe. A precedent is set so start holding these parents accountable 

• Like 1

They are guilty of being shitty parents and should be held accountable as such.
Murderers is a stretch and a dangerous precedent. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Here in MN, the girlfriend of the guy that killed 2 officers and a paramedic has been federally indicted for being a straw buyer of the guns used.

If she was dumb enough to buy guns and parts for a known felon with assault issues she deserves every thing they throw at her.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

If she was dumb enough to buy guns and parts for a known felon with assault issues she deserves every thing they throw at her.

Thankfully it is federal charges. 

Bloody Mary would give her like 10 minutes probation and Ellingson would charge the sells of the firearms and bullets and let her off scotch free..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Thankfully it is federal charges. 

Bloody Mary would give her like 10 minutes probation and Ellingson would charge the sells of the firearms and bullets and let her off scotch free..

Correct.

If guns aren’t properly secured, do it. No different than if your 5 yr old finds your gun and shoots themself/others. 

assuming that’s the case?

6 minutes ago, akvanden said:

If guns aren’t properly secured, do it. No different than if your 5 yr old finds your gun and shoots themself/others. 

assuming that’s the case?

I agree. Kids are smarter than you think. Lock your guns up and hold the key or get a code safe. 

More than that.  Everyone failed this kid miserably. Parents, teachers, principal, guidance counselor. He was crying out for help and they all ignored him.  With that said….. He is solely responsible for his actions after he pulled that gun out. Just the way I see it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cold War said:

It is , and will probably be tossed on appeal.

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Here in MN, the girlfriend of the guy that killed 2 officers and a paramedic has been federally indicted for being a straw buyer of the guns used.

good

24 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

It is , and will probably be tossed on appeal.

Both parents were charged with involuntary manslaughter

1 minute ago, Sled_Hed said:

And found guilty. Suppose to be sentenced in April.

Yep each got four counts. One for each kid that died

12 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

And found guilty. Suppose to be sentenced in April.

Caught some of the old man on the stand.

Dangerous road to go down, but necessary.

The kid had mental issues and you either buy him the guns or leave them out for him to use?

At fault is sometimes expressed in a percentage.

The parents are in that equation IMO.

• Like 1

Michigan passed a new law where it is a felony charge to have a unsecured gun in the home with minor children. Probably what they would of been charged with now. Be interesting to see what sentences are handed down. 

hadn't really followed this mess from the beginning and getting up to speed a bit it starts and ends with poor parenting first... imo.  seems to be far too much of that.  we didn't have gun locks or even a gun safe when we were kids and would have never considered doing anything of the nature.  our parents back then also weren't our 'friends'... 

we definitely have a mental health issue here

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

hadn't really followed this mess from the beginning and getting up to speed a bit it starts and ends with poor parenting first... imo.  seems to be far too much of that.  we didn't have gun locks or even a gun safe when we were kids and would have never considered doing anything of the nature.  our parents back then also weren't our 'friends'... 

we definitely have a mental health issue here

a lot has changed. No question, both parents are self absorbed garbage.    I think the questions should be . Did they help their kid carry out the act?  Did they have knowledge their kid was going to carry out the act?  

When I was probably around 4, brother was 6, he found my dads 44. That Im sure my dad thought was well hidden.  he had it pointed at me. another few seconds and he would of killed me. Back then it would of been a tragic accident. I dont risk it. we have the grandkids over all the time . guns are in safe, stay in safe. I know if someone kicks the door in I am not getting that gun out of there in time, but it is not worth forgetting I had it out and having one of them get their hands on it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

a lot has changed. No question, both parents are self absorbed garbage.    I think the questions should be . Did they help their kid carry out the act?  Did they have knowledge their kid was going to carry out the act?  

When I was probably around 4, brother was 6, he found my dads 44. That Im sure my dad thought was well hidden.  he had it pointed at me. another few seconds and he would of killed me. Back then it would of been a tragic accident. I dont risk it. we have the grandkids over all the time . guns are in safe, stay in safe. I know if someone kicks the door in I am not getting that gun out of there in time, but it is not worth forgetting I had it out and having one of them get their hands on it.  

that'll be up to the judge in sentencing I'd imagine. 

maybe we should add common sense, or good sense to the mental aspect.  have never understood the 'take a gun to school and start shooting' rational, probably never will. 

15 hours ago, Cold War said:

Yeah access to guns isn't the only way kids become killers.   

35 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yeah access to guns isn't the only way kids become killers.   

I never claimed that. In this case it was. Is it really a big deal to keep your guns locked up if you have minor children in the home?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I never claimed that. In this case it was. Is it really a big deal to keep your guns locked up if you have minor children in the home?  

I was agreeing with  you just adding in that how kids are raised can make them killers as well.   How do we prosecute that?  What about parents who give easy access to alcohol and a kid kills people in a DD accident?    No doubt I want some parent responsibility its just where do we start and stop?

Hell my parents had these cool wildlife whiskey bottles that they never drank out of.   They were basically water because we would drink them.  :lol:   There is a difference between giving a kid a gun and just not locking it up.   I think in this case they bought him the gun(s). 

Edited by Highmark