Check your account email address ×

Vermonters reject nearly 1 in 3 school budgets on Town Meeting Day

Twenty-nine of 93 reported budgets were voted down, according to data from the Vermont Superintendents Association

Twenty-nine of 93 reported budgets were rejected, according to unofficial results collected by the association. Four districts still hadn’t reported as of early Wednesday afternoon, and 22 have votes still to come.

Last year, only two budgets were rejected on Town Meeting Day.

Leading up to Tuesday, voters had expressed dismay at the anticipated increase in education property taxes, projected to rise by an average of 19%, due in part to a proposed increase of more than $200 million in school spending.

Link to the full article: https://vtdigger.org/2024/03/06/where-did-vermont-voters-reject-school-budgets-on-town-meeting-day/

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

Twenty-nine of 93 reported budgets were voted down, according to data from the Vermont Superintendents Association

Twenty-nine of 93 reported budgets were rejected, according to unofficial results collected by the association. Four districts still hadn’t reported as of early Wednesday afternoon, and 22 have votes still to come.

Leading up to Tuesday, voters had expressed dismay at the anticipated increase in education property taxes, projected to rise by an average of 19%, due in part to a proposed increase of more than $200 million in school spending.

Link to the full article: https://vtdigger.org/2024/03/06/where-did-vermont-voters-reject-school-budgets-on-town-meeting-day/

It’s the same here. School spending has been the huge increase.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ckf said:

A lot of taxpayers are getting sick of annual or bi-annual referendums that the school districts push as crisis modes.

Oh, and lets put them to vote on off years and only make voting at one location in the whole county, the main school, on those off years.

Or my favorite was when they built a new high school when we lived in the hood.  $300 some million for the school.  Gets voted in.

Whoops, we forgot that the roads to and from the school needed tens of millions in required upgrades.  Same for the infrastructure, tens of millions more.  Kind of forgot to put that in the building referendum or mention it at all until everything was voted in to place.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

A lot of taxpayers are getting sick of annual or bi-annual referendums that the school districts push as crisis modes.

Oh, and lets put them to vote on off years and only make voting at one location in the whole county, the main school, on those off years.

They pull the same thing here. Think that was the first time I was even in the school was to vote against the school referendum. Eventually they did get it passed to build some new schools.

Almost 50% of my property taxes already goes to the school but they came back for more this year.  Thankfully it got voted down but just barely.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

They pull the same thing here. Think that was the first time I was even in the school was to vote against the school referendum. Eventually they did get it passed to build some new schools.

Almost 50% of my property taxes already goes to the school but they came back for more this year.  Thankfully it got voted down but just barely.

Out in the land of Rocks and Cows, some people might need to drive 70-80+ miles round trip to vote for the referendum.  

So much for caring about the voters if it doesn't fit your agenda...

• Like 1

• Gold Member

I dont know how most Vermonters make it up there. 

Gas is more money, Grocery's more money , taxes aren't cheap, not that many high paying jobs, takes longer to get to places etc...

I think the only thing cheaper than CT is beer. :guzzle:

Vermont School Taxes can't be that bad 😞😔 , if  two thirds of the budgets pass.....

Our school 🏫 budget makes up 85% of our municipal budget.....

Me.... I'd close all the public schools.... Let the customers pay the bills & let the school be accountable to their customer base

After HISTORIC funding our district just sent out a mailer to make sure everyone votes YES on local millage increase.  These people never stop.  

Has anyone toured their local schools to see where the millions in Covid money went?   I don’t see as much as a hand sanitizer dispenser. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

It’s the same here. School spending has been the huge increase.

This yr for Amherst it is the town budget that is the killer. Mostly for HC increases for town employees. 

$2000 increase for $435k home.

• Platinum Contributing Member

We are about to get nailed here in my town and it’s our own fault.  We’ve needed a new elementary school for decades and now it’s a must do.