Check your account email address ×

Computer Question(s)

I have an older 8.1 Gateway Desktop (spare) computer that I rarely use, it won't load Win 10 or 11, says it can't do it, anyhow can I replace the hard drive with a larger capacity HD that will then be Win 10 or 11? I know very little about Computers so need to ask some of you folks who are more savvy than I am.

Thanks

Kneel

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Can I ask why the new HD won't work?

Hate to throw it away as it still works ok and the monitor and keyboard are newer.

The new HD will work, but that isn’t the only component that has minimum requirements for newer operating systems.

This is almost the golden age of getting good performance hardware for low price, you should recycle the old machine and upgrade to a new unit.

Neal

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The new HD will work, but that isn’t the only component that has minimum requirements for newer operating systems.

This is almost the golden age of getting good performance hardware for low price, you should recycle the old machine and upgrade to a new unit.

Neal

I did just order a new AIO computer for $388 that will be here next Wednesday, just thought I might up-grade this old one too. My Main computer is a Dell AIO and almost 2 years old now.

Copying an operating system onto a new HDD on a machine that old and upgrading it will cost you more than the AIO for a much slower machine.  It makes zero sense in particular if you have to pay someone to do it.  

If you change the motherboard, ram, processor, and video card as well to make sure it works you have a complete new pc...otherwise it's a waste.  Bargain shopping and doing all the labor yourself will still be more than just buying something else.  

There are a ton of used machines on FB marketplace that absolutely destroy what you have for about the price of the hard drive.  Save yourself the hassle...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Copying an operating system onto a new HDD on a machine that old and upgrading it will cost you more than the AIO for a much slower machine.  It makes zero sense in particular if you have to pay someone to do it.  

If you change the motherboard, ram, processor, and video card as well to make sure it works you have a complete new pc...otherwise it's a waste.  Bargain shopping and doing all the labor yourself will still be more than just buying something else.  

There are a ton of used machines on FB marketplace that absolutely destroy what you have for about the price of the hard drive.  Save yourself the hassle...

I see a new 1 TB HD is $22 on Amazon.

What do you plan on using it for? 

If you just want to use it to browse the internet, emails, etc. then you could always set it up as a linux box and then use it for that.  You don't need it to be a win10 or 11 OS for it to be a storage device or browsing computer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

If you just want to use it to browse the internet, emails, etc. then you could always set it up as a linux box and then use it for that.  You don't need it to be a win10 or 11 OS for it to be a storage device or browsing computer.

Linux Mint would be a good way to go.

Neal

17 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I was trying to use it for streaming shows off the Computer to the Samsung Smart TV for my wife, I can and have used my AIO Computer for that purpose but then I can't use the AOI Computer for my own use when she's using it for Streaming.

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I was trying to use it for streaming shows off the Computer to the Samsung Smart TV for my wife, I can and have used my AIO Computer for that purpose but then I can't use the AOI Computer for my own use when she's using it for Streaming.

Get a $20 Chromecast and use that to stream.  If you want stuff from your computer, get a NAS drive and make it something you can access from anywhere then.

29 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Local guy wants it, how do I wipe everything off, like address book, etc. is it even possible?

Being a gateway it should have a factory restore.  Just run that.  Usually Del or F3 or F8 during startup to get to the menu.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Get a $20 Chromecast and use that to stream.  If you want stuff from your computer, get a NAS drive and make it something you can access from anywhere then.

Being a gateway it should have a factory restore.  Just run that.  Usually Del or F3 or F8 during startup to get to the menu.

I usually stream directly from my computer to the Smart TV, there's  an icon on the right side task bar is what I use. Looks like a square with an arrow on the lower part of the Icon.

Edited by XCR1250

Are you streaming off your hard drive or off something else?  If it isn't off the hard drive a $20 Roku stick, Google Chromecast or a ridiculously overpriced Apple TV would be much easier.

57 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Are you streaming off your hard drive or off something else?  If it isn't off the hard drive a $20 Roku stick, Google Chromecast or a ridiculously overpriced Apple TV would be much easier.

I type into my search a site I want to stream, like Goojara or a dozen other free sites, then stream it to my TV, 10's of thousands of movies, shows, series, etc. works great.

Edited by XCR1250

9 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Hate to throw it away as it still works ok and the monitor and keyboard are newer.

Many of the new operating systems require that the processor etc is capable of running anti hacking code before even loading an OS, let alone loading antivirus protection.

I built my wife a PC, last year, state of the art, fast as fuck. It does not support the anti hacking requirements that windows 11 requires to maintain its level of security.

I should check again to see if the firmware has been revised to do it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Here is the simplest way to look at computers, explained like a book in your library.

Hard drive is how many books you can have on a shelf. 
RAM is how many books you can look at one time.

Speed of the RAM, and hard drive is how fast you can take these books off the shelf and look at them, put them back on the shelf if you run out of room on the table to look at them all.

The processor is the cat that helps these books off the shelf, opens the pages to where you want to look and deals with all the looking and figuring shit out

Edited by Voodoo
  • Thanks 1

If you want to expand your mind, there are lots of stuff online that goes into processor chips and how they work.

I’m from old school electronics, and at least schooled in chips.

its mind blowing to me how far we’ve come in 20 years.

• Like 2

My Win 11 Gateway spare computer will be here tomorrow..on my Win 10 computer that I mostly use, it has a small white square box with a downward facing arrow on the far right side of the taskbar next to the clock that I use for instant streaming to my Smart TV by simply clicking the "connect" box after I click on the square..my question is will the new Win 11 computer have that feature? If anyone knows?

On 2/8/2024 at 7:34 AM, XCR1250 said:

I have an older 8.1 Gateway Desktop (spare) computer that I rarely use, it won't load Win 10 or 11, says it can't do it, anyhow can I replace the hard drive with a larger capacity HD that will then be Win 10 or 11? I know very little about Computers so need to ask some of you folks who are more savvy than I am.

Thanks

Kneel

Pour some round up on it 

• Haha 1

Ok, another dumb Computer question..

My Dell AIO Desktop screen will not go into sleep mode regardless of how many minutes I have it set to go to sleep, right now it's set at 1 minute.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried multiple times with no luck, screen just stays on.

BTW a guy down the road took my old Win 8.1 computer and 4 keyboards, and 2 Mouse.

Edited by XCR1250