Check your account email address ×

Computer Question(s)

On 2/20/2024 at 6:40 AM, Deephaven said:

Could be the touch screen driver keeping it awake...

Ok, I did a complete restore as a local guy wants to buy it tomorrow..After I wiped  everything that was on it, it now shuts down at the amount of time I set it to shut down, you were right, something installed on it was preventing "sleep mode.

Another question, I put all my documents, pictures, address books, etc. onto a 128GB Flash Drive, it looks like there's 3,435 items, I tried unsuccessfully to install those items into the new computer, it didn't work, any detained suggestions on how to do it? It's a 24inch Dell Win11 touchscreen.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Install?  You mean copy.  What exactly did you do?

That's what caught my attention, too.  @Don - are the various object in a .zip file on the flash drive or are they all individual objects?  And, is the appropriate software they came from the old device on the new device?  For example, are you using the same Outlook mail client or whatever application they're intended to be used with?  Pictures should be a simple copy/paste from the flash drive to a folder.  But address books or other items likely require the appropriate application to be installed and compatible with whatever was on the old device.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Install?  You mean copy.  What exactly did you do?

Took all my documents, pictures, & e-mail addresses and put all of them on a 128GB Flash drive, now I would like to put all those items on that Flash Drive into my new Desktop computer.

Thanks

Edited by XCR1250

49 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That's what caught my attention, too.  @Don - are the various object in a .zip file on the flash drive or are they all individual objects?  And, is the appropriate software they came from the old device on the new device?  For example, are you using the same Outlook mail client or whatever application they're intended to be used with?  Pictures should be a simple copy/paste from the flash drive to a folder.  But address books or other items likely require the appropriate application to be installed and compatible with whatever was on the old device.

It's odd but I recently bought 2 new Desktop Computers, the Flash drive contents installed onto the Gateway easily, but not onto the Dell..I probably am doing something wrong or different between the 2 computers, so much to remember after you tubes and reading how to do it.:smack:

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Took all my documents, pictures, & e-mail addresses and put all of them on a 128GB Flash drive, now I would like to put all those items on that Flash Drive into my new Desktop computer.

Thanks

Documents and pictures should be nothing more than a drag and drop, one folder to another.  Your flash drive should show up in Windows Explorer and you grab the folder from there and drag it to a new folder off the C: drive, somewhere.

The email addresses probably need to be imported into whatever you're using for a mail client.  I'm not sure if you just use a browser based email like GMAIL, or if it's a literal PC-based application like Outlook?  But you should be able to find how to import your mail addresses via a simple Google search and specifying the correct mail application (assuming the address book was exported correctly).

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Documents and pictures should be nothing more than a drag and drop, one folder to another.  Your flash drive should show up in Windows Explorer and you grab the folder from there and drag it to a new folder off the C: drive, somewhere.

The email addresses probably need to be imported into whatever you're using for a mail client.  I'm not sure if you just use a browser based email like GMAIL, or if it's a literal PC-based application like Outlook?  But you should be able to find how to import your mail addresses via a simple Google search and specifying the correct mail application (assuming the address book was exported correctly).

Thunderbird about 98% and Centurylink 2%.

Not familiar with Thunderbird, but Century Link is browser based if I remember correctly (in other words, it's not an icon on your desktop where you open up a mail application).  Both providers should have instructions from their respective websites on how their mail client works & how it import address books.

Edit:  Quick google search on Thunderbird gave this:

Import Contacts
  1. Open Thunderbird.
  2. Select the Address Book button in the left menu bar.
  3. Select Import in the top menu bar.
  4. Select the file type you have to import.
  5. Select Continue.
  6. Locate and select the file you have to import from the pop-up File Explorer or Finder.
  7. Select Open.
  8. Select address book fields you want imported.
Edited by Bontz

33 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Why not copy them into your My Documents folder.  Windows organization has gotten way better...

I've been trying, just can't seem to figure out how to.

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Open the flash drive, select all (shortcut is CTRL+A), copy (CTRL-C), then open My Documents on your new computer and Paste (CTRL-V)

Ok, tried that is says it's copying from the Flash drive and back to the same Flash drive.

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

You have to paste it where you want it, not where you copy it from.

Trying that now..it now says copying from "fax" to "fax"

Is it Ctrl+A then copy Ctrl-C, open docs then Ctrl-V

Plus then minus as you wrote?

You can use the mouse if it is easier.  I just gave you the keyboard shortcuts.  If you can highlight all the files on the memory card and "copy" then you are ready to paste.  To do that open the my documents folder on the computer and right click in the folder and choose paste.

10 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Think I got it:

Pic of me & Sam from 1967.

photo2.3.jpg

You should look into apps like Dropbox to store pics and docs.  Every pic you take with your phone goes automatically to the cloud and you can access from anywhere.  All you would have to do is just install in a new computer.  Email is different unless you use a cloud service like gmail.  

• Thanks 1