Check your account email address ×

Looking at new trucks.

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, Matt said:

I have a 2024 Silverado HD LTZ gasser.  The new Chevy front ends look way better than that abortion they had in the previous years.  I like the looks much better than the new SuperDuty.  Feels like Ford took a step backwards in the looks department on the new trucks.

Allison branded tranny is a brick shithouse too.  Would work well for plowing.

New GM interiors jumped Ram IMO.  RAM might look slightly nicer but they took away too many of the important buttons on the RAM and put them on the screen.  GM still has a button for everything.

Ride quality is surprisingly good, as is the gas mileage with the 6.6L.  I've seen 18.5 hand-calculated on interstate runs if I can keep it under 80.

Xlt and under Super Duty doesn't look so great. Lariat and up looks ok. Ive had 3 Super Dutys since 2018 and my 23 is by far the best imo.

@Shifty - same bullshit here with outrageous tab renewals.  Hell, I just paid for our '24 tabs the last week of December to get my truck and my wife's '19 Edge up to date ... $920 (and the bulk of that was for my truck).

20 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

In the latest transmission development, the Allison ten-speed automatic now offered by General Motors is actually manufactured by GM. Allison is only a design and development partner for the projec

I know they didn't build it.  They co-designed it and lended development and testing resources and protocols for it.  I've been really happy with how it operates in about 6000 miles of towing since I got it.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know they didn't build it.  They co-designed it and lended development and testing resources and protocols for it.  I've been really happy with how it operates in about 6000 miles of towing since I got it.

they have been good so far. the 8 speeds have issues too , but the 6 speed is the one that's gonna leave you

the brake system on the newer half tons is bullshit too. pad wear system going off premature. did a yukon yesterday , 18 k, rear sensor contacted. most are high 20s , low 30s. still too soon. 2500/3500 has new electric park brake and that has been showing issues as well

1 minute ago, sleepybrew said:

they have been good so far. the 8 speeds have issues too , but the 6 speed is the one that's gonna leave you

I had one of those 8 speeds in my 2016 Denali.  I had the fluid flush and TCM reset done on it last fall after I noticed some very minor shuddering and it was great after that.  Mine never had the issues that some of those had, and I towed my 8000 lb TT to WI, CA, and back with it over mountains, etc.  Couldn't believe how well the "weak" 5.3L and the "crap" 8 speed worked.

But the HD is way better.  :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shifty said:

They completely bend you over at registration time for new trucks here in the state of New Hampshire. It’s usually around seven 800 bucks for a brand new truck

The beauty/ugliness of having no state sales tax.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

Actually no. I was a collaboration between Ford and Gm. Allison has nothing to do with it but the name badge.

54 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Xlt and under Super Duty doesn't look so great. Lariat and up looks ok. Ive had 3 Super Dutys since 2018 and my 23 is by far the best imo.

Hey Squeaky Steve, do you buy your vehicles in Beanerville also. :lmao:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Actually no. I was a collaboration between Ford and Gm. Allison has nothing to do with it but the name badge.

That was the half ton 10 speed they collaborated on.  GM/Allison is exclusive to GM, same way Ford's 10 speed is exclusive to Ford.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

That was the half ton 10 speed they collaborated on.  GM/Allison is exclusive to GM, same way Ford's 10 speed is exclusive to Ford.

Ford and GM jointly designed their 10 speed tranny. At the end of the process each of them “tweaked” their own design to make them unique but they are 90% the same.

GM pays Allison royalties to use their name still but the transmission was not designed or manufactured by Allison

13 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Hey Squeaky Steve, do you buy your vehicles in Beanerville also. :lmao:

:lol:

22 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Keep what you have unless you want a diesel or the 7.3 gas. Im guessing yours is the 6.2.

if it is the 6.2, i'd keep her. hell, i have 265,000 km on mine and with spot on maintenance it hasn't given me one problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

They completely bend you over at registration time for new trucks here in the state of New Hampshire. It’s usually around seven 800 bucks for a brand new truck

Dont feel bad , if you bought a new truck in mass for  $60,000 you would pay $3900 in sales tax

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Dont feel bad , if you bought a new truck in mass for  $60,000 you would pay $3900 in sales tax

I just did the math for here and it would be $4125.  It's bullshit, I tell ya.

22 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Ford and GM jointly designed their 10 speed tranny. At the end of the process each of them “tweaked” their own design to make them unique but they are 90% the same.

GM pays Allison royalties to use their name still but the transmission was not designed or manufactured by Allison

Different transmission.  The 10 speed from the HD is a completely different unit than the half ton joint development.  The HD transmission was co-designed with Allison, including the use of Allison design engineers, testing protocols, etc.  It's built by GM and branded Allison, but they are completely different than the Ford/GM half ton units.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

In Vt. there is a max tax on trucks registered at 10100 lbs or more which is 2486. Not sure if other states have that available as well but definitely worth asking the gregarious staff at DMV. They're more than willing to help!

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

I just did the math for here and it would be $4125.  It's bullshit, I tell ya.

NH may wack ya with reg fee's , but dosnt  slam ya with a tax for the right to be able to spend your money that you already paid tax on  ( well some paid tax on )

• Like 1

Connecticut has a " luxury "   tax  on vehicles in excess of $30.K....

Other fairer states  such as  Montana have no absurd charges for your corporate  jet,  cars, motorhomes...

34 minutes ago, Matt said:

Different transmission.  The 10 speed from the HD is a completely different unit than the half ton joint development.  The HD transmission was co-designed with Allison, including the use of Allison design engineers, testing protocols, etc.  It's built by GM and branded Allison, but they are completely different than the Ford/GM half ton units.

Yes. But they are as I explained to you for the GM HD and the Super Duty. 90% the same.

Edited by Steve753

4 minutes ago, ICG said:

Connecticut has a " luxury "   tax  on vehicles in excess of $30.K....

Other fairer states  such as  Montana have no absurd charges for your corporate  jet,  cars, motorhomes...

You folks need to contact your state reps and point out that every new truck is over $30k and that the limit needs to be raised.

I have had my Ram 1500 for more than ten years now and it has been extremely reliable. I went through the records a few nights ago and the only failures have been a solinoid for the Eco mode and a crank position sensor. Everything else on the list is maintenance or tires. Going smaller thinking Nissan Frontier I miss the size of my old Dakota.

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Yes. But they are as I explained to you for the GM HD and the Super Duty. 90% the same.

Not the same.  GM took some design cues from the work they did with Ford on the half ton transmissions, but the Allison-branded transmission is NOT designed by, at, or with Ford.  Let the assistant chief engineer tell you.

Designed by GM with input from, and approval by Allison.  No changes are made to this design without Allison's testing and approval per the licensing agreement.  Built by GM.