Check your account email address ×

Ex-officer Derek Chauvin, convicted in George Floyd's killing, stabbed in prison

XCR1250

Associated Press

Ex-officer Derek Chauvin, convicted in George Floyd's killing, stabbed in prison, AP source says

MICHAEL R. SISAK
Fri, November 24, 2023 at 7:54 PM CST·4 min read
c5c43ec823717901302357e4d413bc0f

FILE - In this image taken from video, former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin addresses the court at the Hennepin County Courthouse, June 25, 2021, in Minneapolis. Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured Friday, Nov. 24, 2023, at a federal prison in Arizona, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. (Court TV via AP, Pool, File) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)More
  •  

•  

Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd, was stabbed by another inmate and seriously injured Friday at a federal prison in Arizona, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The attack happened at the Federal Correctional Institution, Tucson, a medium-security prison that has been plagued by security lapses and staffing shortages. The person was not authorized to publicly discuss details of the attack and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

The Bureau of Prisons confirmed that an incarcerated person was assaulted at FCI Tucson at around 12:30 p.m. local time Friday. In a statement, the agency said responding employees contained the incident and performed “life-saving measures” before the inmate, who it did not name, was taken to a hospital for further treatment and evaluation.

No employees were injured and the FBI was notified, the Bureau of Prisons said. Visiting at the facility, which has about 380 inmates, has been suspended.

Messages seeking comment were left with Chauvin’s lawyers and the FBI.

Chauvin’s stabbing is the second high-profile attack on a federal prisoner in the last five months. In July, disgraced sports doctor Larry Nassar was stabbed by a fellow inmate at a federal penitentiary in Florida.

It is also the second major incident at the Tucson federal prison in a little over a year. In November 2022, an inmate at the facility’s low-security prison camp pulled out a gun and attempted to shoot a visitor in the head. The weapon, which the inmate shouldn’t have had, misfired and no one was hurt.

Chauvin, 47, was sent to FCI Tucson from a maximum-security Minnesota state prison in August 2022 to simultaneously serve a 21-year federal sentence for violating Floyd’s civil rights and a 22½-year state sentence for second-degree murder.

Chauvin’s lawyer, Eric Nelson, had advocated for keeping him out of general population and away from other inmates, anticipating he’d be a target. In Minnesota, Chauvin was mainly kept in solitary confinement “largely for his own protection,” Nelson wrote in court papers last year.

Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected Chauvin’s appeal of his murder conviction. Separately, Chauvin is making a longshot bid to overturn his federal guilty plea, claiming new evidence shows he didn’t cause Floyd’s death.

Floyd, who was Black, died on May 25, 2020, after Chauvin, who is white, pressed a knee on his neck for 9½ minutes on the street outside a convenience store where Floyd was suspected of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill.

Bystander video captured Floyd’s fading cries of “I can’t breathe.” His death touched off protests worldwide, some of which turned violent, and forced a national reckoning with police brutality and racism.

Three other former officers who were at the scene received lesser state and federal sentences for their roles in Floyd’s death.

Chauvin’s stabbing comes as the federal Bureau of Prisons has faced increased scrutiny in recent years following wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein’s jail suicide in 2019. It's another example of the agency’s inability to keep even its highest profile prisoners safe after Nassar’s stabbing and “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski’s suicide at a federal medical center in June.

An ongoing AP investigation has uncovered deep, previously unreported flaws within the Bureau of Prisons, the Justice Department’s largest law enforcement agency with more than 30,000 employees, 158,000 inmates and an annual budget of about $8 billion.

AP reporting has revealed rampant sexual abuse and other criminal conduct by staff, dozens of escapes, chronic violence, deaths and severe staffing shortages that have hampered responses to emergencies, including inmate assaults and suicides.

Bureau of Prisons Director Colette Peters was brought in last year to reform the crisis-plagued agency. She vowed to change archaic hiring practices and bring new transparency, while emphasizing that the agency's mission is “to make good neighbors, not good inmates."

Testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee in September, Peters touted steps she'd taken to overhaul problematic prisons and beef up internal affairs investigations. This month, she told a House Judiciary subcommittee that hiring had improved and that new hires were outpacing retirements and other departures.

But Peters has also irritated lawmakers who said she reneged on her promise to be candid and open with them. In September, senators scolded her for forcing them to wait more than a year for answers to written questions and for claiming that she couldn’t answer basic questions about agency operations, like how many correctional officers are on staff.

__

Associated Press writers Amy Forliti in Minneapolis and Michael Balsamo in New York contributed to this report.

Yep, it's been all over the news here since last night.  No surprise at all, and I think everyone knew it was just a matter of time.  I wonder how long it will take before he actually gets killed (he was supposedly in serious, but not critical condition).

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Stab him just enough but keep him alive. Let him heal up and do it again…repeat

That would be karma, for sure.  From a tax payer perspective, just kill the fucker and get him off the tab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

George Floyd was a piece of fucking garbage and his death spawned one of the phoniest race narratives in the last 20 years.  It got BLM leaders rich while doing squat for the black community, and the area he died in is just as shitty if not more than before.  And there is plenty of evidence that the fentanyl killed him and not Chauvin.  So there's that.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

George Floyd was a piece of fucking garbage and his death spawned one of the phoniest race narratives in the last 20 years.  It got BLM leaders rich while doing squat for the black community, and the area he died in is just as shitty if not more than before.  And there is plenty of evidence that the fentanyl killed him and not Chauvin.  So there's that.

Let’s see what happens come spring since it’s an election year coming up. Maybe more police departments will be burned to the ground again, department stores looted and cities on fire 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

No arguments from me ... everything you stated is fact.  I'm gonna use the "But" card though.  

But if Chauvin wasn't such a POS, and would have taken his knee off the dude - if the fentanyl would have killed Floyd, at least it wouldn't have appeared to be done by the cops & wouldn't have led to all of the fallout that happened in Minneapolis.  Oh how different things could have been, had he not been a stereotypical PIG.

Edited by Bontz
Typo

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Let’s kneel on your neck for an extended period of time and see how you fair :thumbsup:

Just now, Bontz said:

No arguments from me ... everything you stated is fact.  I'm gonna use the "But" card though.  

But if Chauvin wasn't such a POS, and would have taken his knee of the dude - if the fentanyl would have killed Floyd, at least it wouldn't have appeared to be done by the cops & wouldn't have led to all of the fallout that happened in Minneapolis.  Oh how different things could have been, had he not been a stereotypical PIG.

Yeah for sure.  Overzealous cop and a career criminal.  Never ends well.  

12 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

If he had been drunk on alcohol would you still have the same opinion or is it his fentanyl use that you're condemning him for?

Just now, HSR said:

If he had been drunk on alcohol would you still have the same opinion or is it his fentanyl use that you're condemning him for?

I'm condemning him because he was a career criminal and narcotics abuser.  And yes, fentanyl.  He held a gun to a pregnant ladies stomach among his other accomplishments.  His early demise was not hard to predict.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm condemning him because he was a career criminal and narcotics abuser.  And yes, fentanyl.  He held a gun to a pregnant ladies stomach among his other accomplishments.  His early demise was not hard to predict.  

All irrelevant to the incident that took his life.  Simply justifications for your ignorance and racism. 

Edited by SnowRider

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, HSR said:

What if he had Weed in his system !!! 

:lol:

Edited by EvilBird
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You obviously have never been around someone high on fentanyl and just go by what you've heard. Fentanyl is magnatudes more powerful than heroin and it shows. Fentanyl users when high are walking zombies, not aggressive at all and barely aware of their surroundings. I can show you a video of our local dealer failing his second roadside test in 3 months. A 90 year old woman would be able to handle him. It being in his system doesn't mean he was high on it at the time.

1 minute ago, HSR said:

You obviously have never been around someone high on fentanyl and just go by what you've heard. Fentanyl is magnatudes more powerful than heroin and it shows. Fentanyl users when high are walking zombies, not aggressive at all and barely aware of their surroundings. I can show you a video of our local dealer failing his second roadside test in 3 months. A 90 year old woman would be able to handle him. It being in his system doesn't mean he was high on it at the time.

Huh?  Your local dealer?  What is your point?  I have zero sympathy for George Floyd.  And his death sparked riots and more deaths.  And yes, I generally avoid people high on fentanyl.  :wtf: 

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Your local dealer? 

Just now, EvilBird said:

local dealer In bumbfuck Canada :lol:

Wow sounds dreamy 

Yes he too was a victim of American big pharma. Used to be a great kid until he hurt his back working in the bush. Dr.s threw everything at him until they put him on Oxy's. Now his life is gone, he's a mess. Too bad, at one time he was into sledding big time, bought the first REV and that was the first one I drove, used to hang around at our deer camp when out with his step dad. 

Poor kids a mess now :sad: 

29 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Maybe if he hadn’t been railroaded and wrongly convicted of crimes in Texas earlier in his life he wouldn’t have ended up where he was. Ever think of that?

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, HSR said:

Yes he too was a victim of American big pharma. Used to be a great kid until he hurt his back working in the bush. Dr.s threw everything at him until they put him on Oxy's. Now his life is gone, he's a mess. Too bad, at one time he was into sledding big time, bought the first REV and that was the first one I drove, used to hang around at our deer camp when out with his step dad. 

Poor kids a mess now :sad: 

I was gonna say He aint much of a dealer using his own stash and getting busted. 

That sucks man opioids are just so fucking bad all around.

Just now, EvilBird said:

I was gonna say He aint much of a dealer using his own stash and getting busted. 

That sucks man opioids are just so fucking bad all around.

He beat his first drug DUI a couple years ago, rumor has it he and my sister got in a drug dispute and she called the cops, they nailed her a month later. Mommy got him off that one but 2 in 3 months this summer should get him off the streets before he runs a kid over.

Yes I have seen the effects first hand and I'm not proud of it. I just don't like how people think addicts are some sort of animal because of their issues. It's not always their fault, I know that for a FACT.

16 minutes ago, HSR said:

What's the lethal limit?  About 3, what's Floyd's.

1030976250_Screenshot_20231125_093131_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.dfcd6b287223e0382d92c0b59abd518b.jpg