Check your account email address ×

Axys vs. Matryx

• Platinum Contributing Member

Other than the bodywork and shock packages are there any REAL differences between the two…been shopping hard for a sled while I realize that Velocity Shocks and the 7S are nice I’m more concerned anout ergos, trail manners….ect.👊🏻🇺🇸

IMO ... the ergos are very close, but you do sit a little lower on the Matryx.  I also do tend to agree with how they promoted the Matryx as being a warmer sled - it seems to deflect the wind better than what I remember from my AXYS sleds.  At least that's my impression.  Ride wise - they're still very close in trail manners other than I feel like the Matryx is a bit more responsive to body english.  The one significant downgrade is the headlights ... the Matryx headlights SUCK compared to the AXYS.  I swear Polaris knowingly did that, just to sell those stupid punch lights as an accessory :wall:

@Doug - you probably have more miles than anyone else here to give a fair comparison.  I will be the first to admit, my mileage the last two seasons hasn't been huge (about 1600 in total seat time across my 650 and 850 XCR's).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i was able to ride a matryx 850 in the spring of 21. i didn't like it. the narrow part of the seat is where i grip with my knees at high speeds. it was not natural for me to bend my knees in that far. plus the seat was lower and it felt like i was sliding forward all the time. i was able to grab an axys xcr 4 days later and am very happy with it. all personal preference

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my limited time on a Matryx, I can see where the slightly more forward riding position will make you that much more confident in how it handles.  Having XCR bailers set up to my liking, I haven’t felt the need to move away from those yet.  The Matryx didn’t offer the improvement over the Axyx that the Axys did over a Pro-R or especially an IQ.  A well set up Axys is a damn good trail sled.  The difference is in how the Matryx is set up.  Guys I ride with absolutely had to go with the heaviest rear springs or they were bottoming out something fierce.  If you are a small guy (<160lbs) you could get away with stock springs, otherwise no way.  If picking up an Axys with 4000+ miles, go through ALL the plastic bushings, 8 up front, 8 in the rear, and the 4 mounting points on the skid.  You probably won’t need them all, but you will need some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not a Polaris guy but a few years back the best deals on new XCR's was the Axys XCR 800's which I found several of for a few hundred more than 600's.  probably because everyone wanted the 850's and the new chassis.  no idea what the market is like on them now but 150hp and upgrade the springs and shock valving to Cross Country specs and I'd imagine it would be a decent sled.

the Axys is also far better looking than the Maytrx... imo 

• Thanks 1

Handling wise they're about the same.

There is some changes to the chassis where the Axys didn't require tunnel protectors if your only studded the center.  On the Matryx you will require tunnel protectors to do any type of studding.

Seating is 1" lower on the Matryx which for me was good and bad.  I always put the stock taller riser on from the Assault on the Axys to get the bars where I wanted them but with the mid windshield on that put my hands more in the wind and found myself putting on the gauntlets more often.  Didn't need to change the riser on the Maytrx.  FYI the riser is different between the Axys and Matrix and not interchangeable.  Also with the lower seat and change of body panels and seat found my knees hitting the body panels more often on the Maytrx.

Storage is better on the Matryx with the removable seat and storage underneath.

Headlight.  Both have a good headlight but the headlight on the Axys is better between the two.  Has a better beam.

Mirrors.  The way the mirrors mount on the Matryx is nice but the location is not the best.  You need to look down to look at them taking your eyes off the trail.  I actually had to add handlebar mounted mirrors to the sled my wife drives.  You can see the sleds clearer behind you and don't have to look down with the handlebar mounted mirrors.

Two things I really like on the Matryx and wouldn't have a sled without is the 7S and smart handwarmers.  Just like the features the 7S offers.  I have trouble keeping my hands warm in cold weather and had to use gauntlets on occasion and carried them on the sled incase I had to put them on.  With the smart handwarmers and being able to dial in the temperature haven't needed to put on gauntlets at all and no longer carry them on the sled.  Set the first 2 temperatures at 90 and 118 and the high settings @ 150. If I feel my hands getting cold put the warmers on high which gets hot and then back them down once my hands warm up.

There's my 2 cents.  Keep us posted

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

not a Polaris guy but a few years back the best deals on new XCR's was the Axys XCR 800's which I found several of for a few hundred more than 600's.  probably because everyone wanted the 850's and the new chassis.  no idea what the market is like on them now but 150hp and upgrade the springs and shock valving to Cross Country specs and I'd imagine it would be a decent sled.

the Axys is also far better looking than the Maytrx... imo 

i have a woman customer that was riding an iq700 two up. poor design in the slide rails, kept breaking . she asked what to replace with , i went on the dealer i buy from, 2020 xcr 800 in grey. absolutely mint, low miles, and a good price. she hasn't ridden yet but she is gonna be thrilled. axys bottomed out as well , i had to do some trickery with the shocks but now it's awesome

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Doug said:

Handling wise they're about the same.

There is some changes to the chassis where the Axys didn't require tunnel protectors if your only studded the center.  On the Matryx you will require tunnel protectors to do any type of studding.

Seating is 1" lower on the Matryx which for me was good and bad.  I always put the stock taller riser on from the Assault on the Axys to get the bars where I wanted them but with the mid windshield on that put my hands more in the wind and found myself putting on the gauntlets more often.  Didn't need to change the riser on the Maytrx.  FYI the riser is different between the Axys and Matrix and not interchangeable.  Also with the lower seat and change of body panels and seat found my knees hitting the body panels more often on the Maytrx.

Storage is better on the Matryx with the removable seat and storage underneath.

Headlight.  Both have a good headlight but the headlight on the Axys is better between the two.  Has a better beam.

Mirrors.  The way the mirrors mount on the Matryx is nice but the location is not the best.  You need to look down to look at them taking your eyes off the trail.  I actually had to add handlebar mounted mirrors to the sled my wife drives.  You can see the sleds clearer behind you and don't have to look down with the handlebar mounted mirrors.

Two things I really like on the Matryx and wouldn't have a sled without is the 7S and smart handwarmers.  Just like the features the 7S offers.  I have trouble keeping my hands warm in cold weather and had to use gauntlets on occasion and carried them on the sled incase I had to put them on.  With the smart handwarmers and being able to dial in the temperature haven't needed to put on gauntlets at all and no longer carry them on the sled.  Set the first 2 temperatures at 90 and 118 and the high settings @ 150. If I feel my hands getting cold put the warmers on high which gets hot and then back them down once my hands warm up.

There's my 2 cents.  Keep us posted

Oh that 7S - personally I don't want or need it.  But MANY LOVE it.  That could be a deciding factor.  And those handwarmers, yeah, way better on the Matryx.  Forgot about those two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good points on the tunnel protectors (not a huge deal, but it's ~$170'ish more that a person needs to spend in accessories), as well as the storage.  I wasn't a huge fan of the removable seat, but it's worked well for our saddle bag trips and being able to squeeze full pint containers in there.  And the tunnel still allows bag accessories, just like the AXYS does.  I do think Polaris is missing the boat with their shock setups and how soft they are (go ahead, insert the fat jokes! LOL)   But seriously, when a person goes 225 and can bottom out so easy, they need to change things up.  I get the notion of having a general setup for the 180'ish pound rider, but even those guys like a stiffer setup because they ride more aggressively more often than not.  The gauge and the smart warmers are super nice, too.

If two XCR's were available, one in AXYS and one in Matryx, and the price difference was around $2000 ... assuming the Matryx has the 7s ... I would pay the extra money for the Matryx.  But that's just me.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i have a woman customer that was riding an iq700 two up. poor design in the slide rails, kept breaking . she asked what to replace with , i went on the dealer i buy from, 2020 xcr 800 in grey. absolutely mint, low miles, and a good price. she hasn't ridden yet but she is gonna be thrilled. axys bottomed out as well , i had to do some trickery with the shocks but now it's awesome

a few simple spring and valving changes made the consumer sleds far better from fuzzy memory. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/snow/root/team-polaris/racer-resources/cross-contry/setup-information/2020-600-indy-xcr-cross-country-terrain-racing-set-up-sheet.pdf%3Fv%3D75e16129&ved=2ahUKEwiQjbTmnsaCAxUHITQIHf9nCj4QFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0R-G_pdIuVhIMrHqW9X_1h 

Luke Lester on a stock setup, and not a big jump. 

968429838_ScreenShot2019-03-21at9_25_05PM.png.87ee7bc9a120500737fcfa228665d170.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bontz said:

If two XCR's were available, one in AXYS and one in Matryx, and the price difference was around $2000 ... assuming the Matryx has the 7s ... I would pay the extra money for the Matryx.  But that's just me.

There's $2000 I would save! 

Motor:  850 was standard in the Matryx, my 2021 Axys (Last year of the Axys) has an 850, I don't remember what was the first year for the 850 in the Axys, 2020?

Edited by Mag6240

Just now, Mag6240 said:

Motor:  850 was standard in the Matryx, my 2021 Axys has an 850, I don't remember what was the first year for the 850 in the Axys, 2020?

2019 for the 850

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I believe that Indy Specialties is now selling a kit for mounting a 7S on an Axys sled…it’s fairly pricey as I believe the 7S is well north of 1000 bucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Motor:  850 was standard in the Matryx, my 2021 Axys (Last year of the Axys) has an 850, I don't remember what was the first year for the 850 in the Axys, 2020?

The 7s is just a personal preference, so that's $1K right there ... and then the rest is the difference in better shocks (on the XCR), I would think.  Anyway, not saying anyone is right or wrong - just my preference.  The 850 came out in '19, and in the AXYS chassis ... I had a '19 XC 850 (insert edit:  and I had zero issues with it, despite the internet drama of the crank issues).

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I believe that Indy Specialties is now selling a kit for mounting a 7S on an Axys sled…it’s fairly pricey as I believe the 7S is well north of 1000 bucks.

The kit to install a 7S on an Axys is $2200.00 round numbers.  At that point I'd look for a Maytrx with a 7S if you really needed a sled with 7S.

• Like 1

Jimmy to back up a little.  Mag6240 is riding the Axys with the Pro-S style XCR suspension. They also made a full tunnel Axys so which one are you referencing.

If it's the Pro-S/XCR exteneral suspension would say that sled has the better ride than a full tunnel Axys

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

2019 for the 850

Be a little leary of a 2019 850.  That's the first year 850 and the PTO bearing was not retaind with a retailing ring and some sealant covered some oil ports for the crank bearing.  If the sled has the original lower end I'd shy away. 

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Have only swapping seat time on the matryx, but have an XCR now so that will change this year.  I can't say I noticed the seat being lower which is amusing considering my legs are long as shit.  Glad I don't have one to compare back to back with anymore.  Love reading about the handwarmers as my hands are never covered by a windshield as I always run a riser.  That being said, I had the same riser now on my ProR, Axys & now Matryx.  Literally the same as I take it off when I sell...it is the adjustable one though so it is pretty standard and can go on about anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Jimmy to back up a little.  Mag6240 is riding the Axys with the Pro-S style XCR suspension. They also made a full tunnel Axys so which one are you referencing.

If it's the Pro-S/XCR exteneral suspension would say that sled has the better ride than a full tunnel Axys

I was speaking of the conventional tunnel Axys Chassis compared to the Matryx. I’ve also found a couple with Baler Skids that I like as well. Also I would gladly buy an 800…plenty of snort for me.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I was speaking of the conventional tunnel Axys Chassis compared to the Matryx. I’ve also found a couple with Baler Skids that I like as well. Also I would gladly buy an 800…plenty of snort for me.

just did a little FB marketplace scan, not much listed f/s atm.

if you don't care about the XCR decals or the XCR brake you could probably just find an 800 XC 129 or 137 reasonable, then upgrade the springs, revalve the shocks and call it a day.  they raced the XC the first year it came out in the Indy chassis as the XCR didn't come along until the following model year.  there was also an over structure upgrade to aluminum tubing rather than carbon and a few venting mods to make them run cooler so if you go that route just tag me and I'll dig them up for you.  

Edit:  here's all the XC upgrades (see cross country terrain) and then scroll down to the over structure and tunnel bracing.  Pretty basic shit.  You could upgrade to the XCR rotor, pads, vent for another bit of $ but it's probably not necessary.

(minus the venting)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.ridex365.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-600-Indy-XC-Cross-Country-Terrain-Racing-set-up-sheet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwidgKmZxMaCAxU6mokEHSenCGwQFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0nLoN0G9vwA-5_r21HWsS7

and... 

https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/snow/root/team-polaris/racer-resources/documents/oval.pdf?v=64b13bf9

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Have only swapping seat time on the matryx, but have an XCR now so that will change this year.  I can't say I noticed the seat being lower which is amusing considering my legs are long as shit.  Glad I don't have one to compare back to back with anymore.  Love reading about the handwarmers as my hands are never covered by a windshield as I always run a riser.  That being said, I had the same riser now on my ProR, Axys & now Matryx.  Literally the same as I take it off when I sell...it is the adjustable one though so it is pretty standard and can go on about anything.

In 2021 had a 2020 Axys XC 850 (sled my wife rode) and a 2021 850 Matryx.  Both good sleds with each having their little advantages.

• Like 3