Check your account email address ×

100 mile electric snowmobile ride?

13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Home charging

Each Taiga vehicle includes a Level 1 charging connector, capable of plugging into standard wall 110V outlets. To maximize the 6.6kW charging rate, we recommend installing a Level 2 charging solution.

Pro tip: You can share a universal Level 2 charging solution with other electric vehicles, such as a car or truck.

Level 1 charging (residential)

~14 hrs

Level 2 charging (residential & commercial)

~3.5 hrs

Level 3 charging

~40 mins

https://www.taigamotors.com/en/snowmobiles/

which type of chargers are available along a route would make a significant difference in your charging times.  assuming the times listed are to fully charge from a near dead battery. 

@Cwhite138 I can't find the picture atm but it's basically the electric motor turning a belt drive to the drive shaft (no jackshaft or clutches if my memory is correct).

much like EVs for the road I doubt we'll see mass adaptation anytime soon.  BRP not long ago seemed fully committed... but so did GM and Ford until recently.  ;)

hate to say it, but a 4S turbo is probably the most eco-friendly and practical option today... but that weight.  🤮

Not to mention that Toyota is dragging it's feet on electrification. Wait for the next 2 years when the Canadian and American government change leaders. The push may evaporate.

25 minutes ago, Tripleflipper said:

Not to mention that Toyota is dragging it's feet on electrification. Wait for the next 2 years when the Canadian and American government change leaders. The push may evaporate.

boy, you sure Ramstad'd that reply... :lol:

Toyota has proven that hybrids flat out work.  Prius has been around for a long time as well as Lexus models, new Toyota trucks are hybrids.  no plugging in, no range anxiety... proven tech.   

586lbs was what I found in one of the older threads here... pre production.

I forgot about the $50M Canooks donated to them... https://snowgoer.com/latest-news/taiga-gets-50-million-for-electric-sled-battery-factory/29612/?oly_enc_id&fbclid=IwAR1Jb1exxz77rNqL6KxrFalpavo-datJb-R1mtwWORy47NmXFLgwWvus3zw

Sounds like Taiga performance is pretty good - on par with the "real" electric cars, in terms of acceleration and top speed. 

The Ski Doo sounds anemic.  It's embarrassing how much money BRP got to develop that.  Did Taiga get money, too?

they initially gave charge times based on getting to 80%. 80% of full range is like you said, walking. can't see tug hill with a bunch of charging stations. especially can't see myself waiting. i get anxiety when i get to barnes corners and the gas station is packed. still only 10 minutes and back at it though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Did Taiga get money, too?

idk 

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

they initially gave charge times based on getting to 80%. 80% of full range is like you said, walking. can't see tug hill with a bunch of charging stations. especially can't see myself waiting. i get anxiety when i get to barnes corners and the gas station is packed. still only 10 minutes and back at it though

isn't it called Thug Hill? 

you'd probably get beat up just for showing up with an EV in the parking lot.

:roflcrying:

24 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

idk 

isn't it called Thug Hill? 

you'd probably get beat up just for showing up with an EV in the parking lot.

tug hill gets a bad rap. many stories from there but i see it as a piece of heaven. get there 8am on wed , be back to truck at 230, 180miles. gooood shit. yeah saturday afternoon on can be crazy , but so can any other sled area. the hill is remote, so chargers are a bit off in the future

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

tug hill gets a bad rap. many stories from there but i see it as a piece of heaven. get there 8am on wed , be back to truck at 230, 180miles. gooood shit. yeah saturday afternoon on can be crazy , but so can any other sled area. the hill is remote, so chargers are a bit off in the future

so it's okay if I call you a Thugee? 

come ride the hill , you can call me whatever you want! most sledders are good people, aside from the few. sledders on the hill will help each other. last year a group took off, so excited they left the truck running! his truck was shut off and keys put in the truck. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

come ride the hill , you can call me whatever you want! most sledders are good people, aside from the few. sledders on the hill will help each other. last year a group took off, so excited they left the truck running! his truck was shut off and keys put in the truck. 

and leave paradise where I can ride right from work or four minutes from home?  I think not...

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and leave paradise where I can ride right from work or four minutes from home?  I think not...

may change your view of tug hill a bit. most that hate the hill are lost. riding the bar loop, afraid to venture. i have taken folks that have been to the hill numerous times. after a while i usually hear , " i have never seen this before" . of course you didn't . can't see it from the bar. my buddy's sister had a camp there for years and i blew her mind. she never knew much more than the bar loop. she did gain some riding skills though. must be from all the drunk riding to the bars. i would love to try the midwest. been to nh and maine. nh 45 mph , that is a no go for me

8 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

boy, you sure Ramstad'd that reply... :lol:

Toyota has proven that hybrids flat out work.  Prius has been around for a long time as well as Lexus models, new Toyota trucks are hybrids.  no plugging in, no range anxiety... proven tech.   

And hence my comment that Toyota has yet to jump on the electric band wagon. Why, when North American leadership will change (Biden and Trudeua gone) and the push for electric vehicles may die or slow to a crawl. Of course they make the best hybrids. I think you misinterpreted my reply. I have never called you names on here, and you insult me. 

5 minutes ago, Tripleflipper said:

And hence my comment that Toyota has yet to jump on the electric band wagon. Why, when North American leadership will change (Biden and Trudeua gone) and the push for electric vehicles may die or slow to a crawl. Of course they make the best hybrids. I think you misinterpreted my reply. I have never called you names on here, and you insult me. 

did you see why I posted that? :lol:

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I was commenting more on the BRP, GM and Ford on fully committed to electric but not so much now. Just saying Toyota is holding back for a reason. The push for electrification is coming more from the governments and not the car makers. With Leadership about to change so likely will the hurry up to electrification. Didn't really look at why you posted what you did. My bad. And for the record I have no interest in electric cars, boats snowmobiles, etc. 

1 hour ago, Tripleflipper said:

I was commenting more on the BRP, GM and Ford on fully committed to electric but not so much now. Just saying Toyota is holding back for a reason. The push for electrification is coming more from the governments and not the car makers. With Leadership about to change so likely will the hurry up to electrification. Didn't really look at why you posted what you did. My bad. And for the record I have no interest in electric cars, boats snowmobiles, etc. 

even VW has backed off

7 hours ago, krom said:

even VW has backed off

Everyone has. The ev have an application and i would never buy one. But after doing research the thing will work in the area I live in. Just to have one I would think about it because they will be fast

12 hours ago, krom said:

even VW has backed off

It looks to me like the folks who want the latest and greatest (perceived anyways) have bought in and the rest (majority) don't have any interest. At least not for the high cost to purchase, high maintenance cost, low range and 10 year life span on expensive batteries.

19 hours ago, Tripleflipper said:

It looks to me like the folks who want the latest and greatest (perceived anyways) have bought in and the rest (majority) don't have any interest. At least not for the high cost to purchase, high maintenance cost, low range and 10 year life span on expensive batteries.

You are right on. Ev are a double edged sword. 99% of the people that say won’t work are stupid. They work in certain applications