Check your account email address ×

Do you run scratchers? If so what style/brand

I personally do not run scratchers but I say that tongue and cheek.  Don't like the way they mount some drilling holes in the rail, see where they chip the paint on rails and just don't like the appearance of them.  That's just me.  On the plus side I know they would help with lube and cooling on the mornings when the trail is froze down tight.

In our group we're about half and half so on the mornings the trails are tight I ride in the back of the group so the guys with scratchers can start to break up the trail.

Duraflex - been running them for years.  Yes, they kick up shit that will beat up the rails, as would most any suspension type scratcher.  Just put new tips on these this year.  Chunk of garden hose split in half zip tied to the rails keeps them from gouging the rails - or I’m sure there are many other methods where you could spend money to do the same.  

@Cat45 those look good!

1B8E2380-F394-4C59-A515-2A1A3F25BDFB.png

• Like 1

I run the doo double spring scratchers. They throw up way more ice than any cable type and don't ding anything in your sled.  Fold up out of the way and allow reverse.

*If you run where there is exposed gravel it will kick that up...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XCR INDY said:

Ski doo tunnel scratchers on my Polaris 136. 

IMG_4683.jpeg

Tried them ALL.. These are the best period!!  We have them on 3 sleds for a few years.. Absolutely kick up tons of snow into the air high enough to land on the track and get shot up onto exchangers.. Run them on 2 sidewinders and one cat

page-7

Edited by jonlafon1

I use the brp style rail ones. I think they work well, although I've broken one. I think I'm going to try the tunnel ones next. You can find someone online who has had issues with any of them but I'm done riding without them for sure. Was caught a couple times in conditions that needed them.

31 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Tried them ALL.. These are the best period!!  We have them on 3 sleds for a few years.. Absolutely kick up tons of snow into the air high enough to land on the track and get shot up onto exchangers.. Run them on 2 sidewinders and one cat

That's an understatement.  If your buddies tailgate you this will get them to stop instantly.  They throw up a ton of stuff.  The carbide tips also last a really long time.  Initial investment is higher, but over 5k miles they are just as cheap as any, look good and work brilliantly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bontz said:

I don't have a good picture, but I've gone the route of the ski mounted scratchers.  The ones I've been using are OTTP brand ... this:

image.thumb.png.5dd268bb554d7634677825ffa40e564c.png

I've had these and they worked well.  Better for slider lube than cooling in my opinion, at least on my 17 Polaris Switchcback Pro S.

I currently run Qualipieces Trailbizzers with the One Rig Design no-drill mounts.  I still have to figure out something that keeps them "up", they don't want to stay hooked on the rail with the hose I had on there for protection.

20230307_114334.jpg

20230307_114326.jpg

20221104_113231.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 1995xcr600 said:

I currently run Qualipieces Trailbizzers with the One Rig Design no-drill mounts.  I still have to figure out something that keeps them "up", they don't want to stay hooked on the rail with the hose I had on there for protection.

20230307_114334.jpg

20230307_114326.jpg

20221104_113231.jpg

Some guys in my club run those as well - they have hooks that are bolted to one of the wheel or cross member bolts, depending on which skid you have.

And yeah, they will get knocked off the rail in rougher trails.  I just zip tie them up until I need them.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

I think we can all agree scratchers help lube slides, and cool motors.  Those who run studs probably benefit from those a little as well.  

I’ve found I end up letting them run down a lot more, even in decent snow, just to keep the engine temp closer to the thermostat temp.  I think they run better with less heat, which IMO is always a good thing.  That’s probably one reason Polaris has continued to lower the thermostat temp over the years.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

That's an understatement.  If your buddies tailgate you this will get them to stop instantly.  They throw up a ton of stuff.  The carbide tips also last a really long time.  Initial investment is higher, but over 5k miles they are just as cheap as any, look good and work brilliantly.

Yea someone following with these down will be in for a surprise.. Shit flies way UP!  My buddy says he can barely see me on my sled with them BOTH down.. Lots of times we run with just one down, and alternate which side is down. Makes the tips last longer..  

Yes, I do.  Currently running the Ski Doo rail mount scratchers but looking to swap them to the new style before the season.  We are out early on Friday and Saturday morning so the trails are really set up, especially after they groom.  Spring riding you may be parked until noon if it gets above freezing during the day and freezes hard overnight.  Just not worth the risk.  

Rail Ice Scratchers 860202330 - Snowmobile | Ski-Doo - USA

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yes, I do.  Currently running the Ski Doo rail mount scratchers but looking to swap them to the new style before the season.  We are out early on Friday and Saturday morning so the trails are really set up, especially after they groom.  Spring riding you may be parked until noon if it gets above freezing during the day and freezes hard overnight.  Just not worth the risk.  

Rail Ice Scratchers 860202330 - Snowmobile | Ski-Doo - USA

I like that they put the harder tip on those. But the ones I broke, broke near the coil. Not sure what broke them - maybe it got caught on something - but it was the kind of day where it was warmed/rained for a day or two and then got really cold, so zero powder in the snow. Which is exactly what I bought them for.

I haven't had a situation where I needed both down so I typically just run one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

I think we can all agree scratchers help lube slides, and cool motors.  Those who run studs probably benefit from those a little as well.  

I’ve found I end up letting them run down a lot more, even in decent snow, just to keep the engine temp closer to the thermostat temp.  I think they run better with less heat, which IMO is always a good thing.  That’s probably one reason Polaris has continued to lower the thermostat temp over the years.

I always run studs and really the benefits as far as lube and cooling on a froze down trail is minimal.  It may benefit the rider behind me a little.  

Scratchers are really a better solution so I'll probably break down and put some on.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

860202387 is the Ski doo part # that I used on my Matryx. Was able to use the existing bumper mount (just a longer bolt) for the hanger. I also cut the plastic sleeve and the mount down around a 1/4” to tighten up the slop in the scratcher once mounted. 

• Like 1