Check your account email address ×

Here's The Hourly Income You Need To Afford Rent Around The U.S., And It's Not Looking Good

Here's The Hourly Income You Need To Afford Rent Around The U.S., And It's Not Looking Good

Full-time workers who make minimum wage can’t afford a one-bedroom rental home in any state in the U.S. without spending more than the recommended 30 percent of their income, according to a report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC). 

The group’s annual “Out of Reach” report compares minimum wages and housing costs in states, metropolitan areas and counties across the country. This year’s results show the hourly wage rate needed for a “modest” two-bedroom rental in 2022 is more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour in every single state. 

Nationally, a person would need to make $25.82 per hour to pay for a modest two bedroom rental home without spending more than 30 percent of their income on housing. For a modest one-bedroom rental, it’s $21.25. 

Even where local minimum wages are higher than the federal standard, it’s not enough. “No local minimum wages are sufficient to afford a one-bedroom rental home at the fair market rent with a 40-hour workweek,” the group states. 

63080d5b2100001a00dc783a.jpeg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/here-s-the-hourly-income-you-need-to-afford-rent-around-the-u-s-and-it-s-not-looking-good/ar-AA1ifP5n?ocid=msedgntp&pc=ENTPHB&cvid=762e66468a2c477a8da0e57d826e653a&ei=49

If you’re an adult and still making minimum wage you’re not trying hard enough. Most jobs around here start at $20 an hour and go up from there.

:dunno: 

• Like 2

Minimum wage?  Uhhhh ... I'm pretty sure this isn't a new concept.  People working for minimum wage probably weren't able to rent when homes/apartments were more realistically priced a few years ago.  The reference to minimum wage earners is just dumb, so I'm not sure why the author would even bother to reference that.  Yes, prices are stupid right now - along with interest rates being higher than most are used to.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Snake said:

Look at the map then do a red state/blue state overlay.... with a few exception do you notice something?

yes... poor, uneducated and fat people live in red states.

we've been over this already.

39 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yes... poor, uneducated and fat people live in red states.

we've been over this already.

The Repubs are proud of those successful red states. 

Edited by Mainecat

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

I thought you claimed to be republican?  Is that what you want?

well look who's here

say, you never did reply when I asked how many minimum wage jobs are available at the company you work for a while back... :pc:

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

well look who's here

say, you never did reply when I asked how many minimum wage jobs are available at the company you work for a while back... :pc:

When you start answering simple questions then maybe you will get the same back.

• Like 1

Is this really anything new??  35-40 years ago when I would have been in the “minimum wage” period of my life, I know I didn’t feel like I could have bought or rented my own place on what I would have made at a minimum wage job.  No chance.  And interest rates were higher than they are today.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Is this really anything new??  35-40 years ago when I would have been in the “minimum wage” period of my life, I know I didn’t feel like I could have bought or rented my own place on what I would have made at a minimum wage job.  No chance.  

Exactly!!  The article is a joke, for anyone with a functioning brain.

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Nationally, a person would need to make $25.82 per hour to pay for a modest two bedroom rental home without spending more than 30 percent of their income on housing. For a modest one-bedroom rental, it’s $21.25. 

So a single earning person making about $54K can afford a 2 bedroom rental home and its 30% of their income.  That doesn't seem too unreasonable. 

28 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So a single earning person making about $54K can afford a 2 bedroom rental home and its 30% of their income.  That doesn't seem too unreasonable. 

Friend in Brooklyn is paying $3k plus for a studio.

34 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Does this mean I should raise my rates.  600 for a 3 bedroom?